My First Tau

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tau-Noob
Shas

My First Tau

Post#1 » Jun 02 2016 02:07

Thought it was about time I introduced myself after lurking for a while...

I've been painting Tyranids for a number of years, and have a sizeable force, but the tyranocite model totally and completely broke me! I still haven't finished it 15 odd months after I started, and I can't see it ever being completed. I haven't really painted anything for over a year, but i recently got the itch, but still couldn't bear the thought of Tyranids, so I did something I have thought about a few times, and started a Tau army.

Of course I threw caution to the wind, and for my colour scheme test model I chose, not a fire warrior or other small unit, but the mighty Riptide. (I seem to be following a pattern, my first Tyranid was a Trygon :D)

I'm a painter not a player, so I just paint what I think looks cool. I have also bought a "start collecting Tau" box, and have finished the Fire Warriors and will take a photo soon. And will start on the Crisis suits this weekend.

ZainNL
Shas

Re: My First Tau

Post#2 » Jun 02 2016 02:17

So cool... *Notes down the metallic weathering*

GeorgeJetson
Shas

Post#3 » Jun 02 2016 10:47

ZainNL,

I like that scheme, normally I shy away from the brighter/deeper schemes, but purple and orange are complimentary and you really make it work there.

Are you doing the fire warriors and crisis suits in the same scheme? That would look rad. Can't wait to see!

Tau-Noob
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 03 2017 07:15

So, it's been very slow progress, but I have painted the Fire Warriors and Crisis Suits from the "Start Collecting" box painted up.

And I splashed out at the local games stores buy 1, get 1 half price boxing day sale on some big suits.

At the rate I have been going that should keep me busy for about a hundred years. I have started on the Ghostkeel, wish me luck ;)

Tau-Noob
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 15 2017 04:32

Finished my Ghostkeel :D

Pretty happy with how it turned out. I changed my method on this model, using Army Painter Alien Purple spray for the base coat, with a Druchii Violet wash on the armour parts. Definitely speeds up the process a bit, and the finished product is hard to distinguish from the Naggaroth Night base coat I used before.

I started on a Broadside this morning.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#6 » Feb 02 2017 06:20

Beautiful complimentary scheme. Very much a fan of the gentle weathering you've got going.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#7 » Feb 03 2017 01:24

Very nice Ghostkeel!
I'm almost sad that I won't get around to paint most of the details on mine since I plan to apply a stealth effect. :D

Tau-Noob
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 15 2017 11:46

Panzer wrote:Very nice Ghostkeel!
I'm almost sad that I won't get around to paint most of the details on mine since I plan to apply a stealth effect. :D

Thanks! I considered doing a stealth effect of some kind, but decided against it this time. If I do another Ghostkeel I might give it a try.

Agentarrow wrote:Beautiful complimentary scheme. Very much a fan of the gentle weathering you've got going.

Thank you. My approach is to dry brush the base colours around the bottom of the model, as I figure it is hard to play in the mud without getting your feet dirty, and then I sponge and brush some battle damage further up the model.

My broadside has not progressed terribly far, but it is mostly base coated. The weather has been good, and I have been distracted by building a pergola among other things. But a wet weekend is forecast, so I with luck I may get it finished this week.

TwilightFox
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 16 2017 07:49

Hi! New member here! I've wanted to reply to this for a couple days now, but I just got promoted to Shas'saal and gained posting privileges.

Purple armor and orange sept is a part of the color scheme I've had in mind for my first set of Tau as well! It's nice to be able to see it on an actual model and confirm that it looks as good on the table as it does in my head. And it looks very good!

I do have a couple of questions though. Was it difficult getting the orange to cover over the Alien Purple, or was the orange pigmented enough to cover without issues? You said you used Druuchi Violet to shade the armor, but did you shade anything over the sept?

Tau-Noob
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 16 2017 01:38

TwilightFox wrote:Hi! New member here! I've wanted to reply to this for a couple days now, but I just got promoted to Shas'saal and gained posting privileges.

Purple armor and orange sept is a part of the color scheme I've had in mind for my first set of Tau as well! It's nice to be able to see it on an actual model and confirm that it looks as good on the table as it does in my head. And it looks very good!

I do have a couple of questions though. Was it difficult getting the orange to cover over the Alien Purple, or was the orange pigmented enough to cover without issues? You said you used Druuchi Violet to shade the armor, but did you shade anything over the sept?

Hi, thanks for your comments.

I didn't have any trouble getting the orange to cover the purple. I used the GW orange base coat, orange wash, 2 coats of the layer, and then highlights. Sounds like a lot, but they are only small areas, so it doesn't take long. Sorry I'm on the way to work and can't remember all the names of the colours, but can get them later if you need them.

I undercoat the model in parts. Black for the legs, and some other parts that are predominantly black. Purple for the main parts, and white for the head, if it is going to be painted yellow.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your army!

Return to “Project Logs”