Coalition: Coreward Frontier (models/fluff)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Coalition: Coreward Frontier (models/fluff)

Post#1 » Jul 13 2016 02:20

I'm going to be making the full transition into adulthood in a few months which means I get my own gaming room. As such, I've started narrowing my collection where I just want to be DONE with my ongoing love affair with the Tau.

No new purchases until the army is done.

This army list has taken a long time, mostly because I could never figure out where they were from. With so much activity in the Gulf I've kind of strayed from being interested in Shadowsun and the hodgepodge of events going on. This Coalition is, thusly, in the 'south' around the Coreward Marches region described in the Ciaphus Cain novels.

Headquarters

Aun'Vre T'au Di'cano Na'va'cho: Aun'Cano

I recently bought a model from http://stores.ebay.ca/warexstore/Other- ... 1&_nkw=tau, this is the Ri'odan model with the head of an original 40k Ethereal and Aun'shi's honor blade with a base from my bitz jar along with the ponytail I think I got from Infinity (Morat).

I'm still painting this, the pattern on the honor blade will be a part of a Tau myth I've been writing called the 'Unbroken Chain'. He'll stand out from the army which will be a darker red than Vior'la.

Prelate Aun'Cano served as chief adjutant to Aun'O Kath'lan, the Ethereal Prime of T'au Sept. As a Prelate, Aun'Cano has spent much of his adult cycles traveling across the Empire serving the general populace of the many aliens and Tau of all the Castes. Ethereals often spend their 'La and 'Ui ranks behind the walls of the Ethereal Temples before choosing what path to best serve the Empire.

Some, like Aun'Cano, adhere to a pilgrim esque interpretation of service, traveling abroad aboard trade ships and exploration fleets with a small group of companions and lifewards. It was during one such journey that the Prelate encountered the Fringeworlds; a collection of dispersed star systems on the very edges of the Tash'var Sept.

The many peoples of these worlds, bound together by necessity and communality, had an impact on Aun'Cano. On the frontier there were no luxuries of civilization, here; the choices were not easy and belief in the Greater Good was tempered by hardship. Predations by the Greenskins, pirates and the agents of the Imperium are a constant threat for the Empire.

Aun'Cano has extended his stay in the Fringeworlds, providing guidance and spiritual advice to the many colonies that dot the zone and is even called to the side of Commander Stonedance on occasion to set the course for the advancement of the Frontier.

-Aun'Cano bears the Sept symbol of T'au on his recon armor, a common artifact since the death of Aun'Va and recontact with the Farsight Enclaves. The symbol represents unification, despite the growing distances of the Septs, and a return to a less aggressive course of action that Aun'Va adopted in his later cycles.
-Aun'Cano, as a Prelate, bears an honor blade which he uses as a symbol of his office as he journeys across the Empire. On his back he carries a variety of equipment including the housing of a Na'gi Mindworm named 'Se't'akawan'teek' or 'She is the Far-flung' who has served Aun'Cano since his departure from T'au.

Homebrew Rules
In a regular game, Aun'Cano counts-as Aun'Shi but for more narrative games I came up with the following Special Rule:
Shield Generator: 4+ Inv Save.
Nagi Advisor: Aun'Cano benefits from being a level 1 psyker and may use the DOMINATE or MENTAL FORTITUDE abilities on the Telepathy chart.
Last edited by Calmsword on Jul 14 2016 02:20, edited 2 times in total.
~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Coalition: Coreward Frontier (models/fluff)

Post#2 » Jul 13 2016 03:15

Aquisitioner Ta'paw Canaka

A member of the Ranghon species, Canaka has worked his way into a position of necessity along the Frontier by facilitating a vast fleet of merchant ships that ply the wilds of the void to deliver materials and equipment to both colonies and the many warzones of the Fire Caste.

Bedecked in rare silks, impossibly expensive metals and gems, Canaka strikes an opulent figure wherever he goes, surrounded by members of his own species and, rare though it might be, a team of Firewarriors who maintain his personal security.

In his silver tipped fingers he holds a scepter that has, integrated within the V'gos ivory, travel codes with Commander Stonedance's personal seal, granting him complete access along Tash'var Sept and the Fringeworlds.

Made from a model I found in my bitz box, Lizardmen parts and putty.

I use him as an objective marker.
Last edited by Calmsword on Jul 14 2016 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 13 2016 04:47

Dear Shas'fann Calmsword -

Glad I'm responding, it seems you post was knocked off the 'recent post' list almost as fast as you posted it there! :eek:

Photos:
Must say this is the first time I've seen your painting/modeling skills, and I'm quite impressed. Have a couple of points about your posted photos though: The Aun'Cano was rather on the dark side and I needed to enlarge it to really see the details. The photo of Canaka was easier to see, but I still needed to enlarge it really see the finer details.

I get that you were trying to be polite and trying not post 'big' pictures, but your use of colour and modeling would be enhanced out by slightly larger photos.

Other stuff:
1- The Ranghon - You ARE writing up their background and adding them to the compilation of fan created alien races right? ;)

2- Cool idea about having Aun'Cano have a Na'gi Mindworm with him. Wonder why GW never thought of that? (Probably much imaginative xhmm?)

3- Tau Myth?
Calmsword wrote:the pattern on the honor blade will be a part of a Tau myth I've been writing called the 'Unbroken Chain'.

Okay so maybe you'll never get around to writing up the Ranghon, but you definitely have to write the myth of 'Unbroken Chain'. I'll be doing a Tau Myth and Folklore thread in the near future, and would really like to add that to the mix.

4 -Aun'Cano as the 'Wandering Monk' great idea, especially the part about it being a defined path of service for the Ethereals. As I see it, the first Ethereals did exactly that, wandered the whole planet of T'au, on the mission to spread the Greater Good. Nice to see would still be part of their 'Ethereal culture'.

Looking forward to your future posts.
The TauMan Abides
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 13 2016 07:00

I'm going to take new photos. I need to check out a new photo sharing site as well.

Other stuff:

-I'm playing around with the Ranghon, probably make a post in the library.
-The Unbroken Chain was something that the original painter of Aun'Shi came up with and talked about at Games Day, I'll see if I can find it anywhere. I think it was only a reference to his own lore, I could cobble something.

More to come (with better photos).
~Good Hunting

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 13 2016 10:38

It's mostly a problem with the light I think. Look up on how to build a photo box. The smallest ones are easily and quickly build consisting of not much more than generic white pieces of paper and a proper light source. ;)

If you still want a new image host I can advise imgur. Never failed to work for me so far and is easy to use.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 14 2016 02:12

Looking into a light box, think I'll make one out of a fedex box and double up on white paper, I'll redo the photos.

Objective Marker
Ufa'cha: Broken Purpose

The Emissary class light cruiser, Emberfall, was assaulted while on approach to Shenagah. The Gue'la, duplicitous as ever, while extending the hand of friendship they struck with a hidden knife. Primitive yet effective atomic ordinance was used to overload the shields of the Emberfall, leading to shock troop boarding parties that had hid behind the asteroid rings.

Por'O T'au Geli'shov Sol'n, known as Farstrider, was secured in an escape pod with Shas'La Do'un and Shas'Ui Tanak, Sol'n's lifeward and was jettisoned before the crew decks could be overrun. Crash landing on Shenagah, the escape pod ignited cloaking and shielding fields in the attempt to avoid the Shenagah Gue'la. Yet, despite all this, Sol'n and his protectors were soon discovered.

Shipmaster Lia't, after violently decrompessing much of the Emberfall to rid it of the boarding parties, doubled back, skimming the atmosphere of the planet and deploying a recovery Cadre to rescue Farstrider.

And here are some additional objective counters built from Epic Crisis suits, a tank spotlight from a IG Leman Russ and a drone top painted to look like Tau Tech for Crisis suits with a display holo.

Last edited by Calmsword on Jul 16 2016 10:11, edited 1 time in total.
~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jul 16 2016 01:11

Broke ground on the bodyguard unit.

This is their Shas'Ui: He'll carry a banner with the Sept symbol of T'au, another reminder that the Tau of the first and second Spheres are rallying behind the Ethereal Council. I think I'll paint a violet bar, or, putty a violet sash to represent the mourning for the passing of Aun'Va.

Originally I had thought to do 'Frontiersmen' with cloaks and additional gear, but I decided to go for a more 'techy' look with advanced pulse rifles and different body armor to set them apart from the rest of the Cadre. I'll paint them in tradition 'T'au' Sept colors and will use them whenever I have a VIP.

(I'm trying not to blow up the screen again- if you click the link, it should be clearer than last time)

~Good Hunting

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#8 » Jul 16 2016 10:23

Calmsword wrote:And here are some additional objective counters built from Epic Crisis suits, a tank spotlight from a IG Leman Russ and a drone top painted to look like Tau Tech for Crisis suits with a display holo.

These are really cool! Can you still buy epic Crisis suits? I want to do this for my army now!

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Jul 16 2016 10:25

Strike Team: Ka'pak

Lead by Shas'Ui Niv'goros, these Tash'vari Firewarriors display their ta'lissera pact on their armor, not just the blade carried by Niv'goros. Before each battle, the Firewarriors dip their hands in holy ash and soil and make imprints on one another. The tradition comes from an ancient ritual from T'au and was brought to Tash'var with the original colonists. Should a warrior fall in battle, his body is ritually burned and his ashes are added to the urn of ashes that will paint them in the battles to come.

Strike Team Ka'pak hails from the Ka'panta Prefecture on Tash'var where roving bands of savage greenskins still infest the nearby forests that remain even after the Taming of Tash'var by Commander Puretide. Where the Fire Caste of Tau'N or even Vior'la train their Shas'Saal in the controlled environments of the training domes, Ka'panta Prefecture sends their students on patrol in hostile territory. While frowned upon by the Ethereals and the Shas'Ar'Tol of other Septs, the Tash'vari understand that they are the frontier of the Empire and only the best, brightest and most tenacious Tau'faan will survive the wilds of border space.

~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Jul 16 2016 10:41

Agentarrow: Unfortunately I don't think you can get them anymore but you might try your luck at some of the 3d printing sites:
[url]
http://www.yeggi.com/q/epic+tau/?s=tx[/url]
~Good Hunting

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#11 » Jul 16 2016 11:24

That's too bad. I'll keep an eye out on eBay for the real deal, and when I'm done with my current project (see my Fio Log) I can scale it down to 6mm scale (or anything else, really) and print my own objectives.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Jul 19 2016 03:37

Calmsword thanks for editing your pictures, great detail and color!

Wow, love the fluff especially about the Tash'var firecaste going up against 'real orks' instead of virtual ones! Also the ash hand print on the helmets - Strike Team Ka'pak. I've always thought that there would be more variation in the cultures of tau septs. Of course that it's your story telling doesn't hurt either! ;)

A couple of more items:

Ufa'cha: Broken Purpose The scratch built objective marker - great modeling! The detailing and weathering are fantastic.

The Shas'Ui banner carrier. Wanted to ask where did you get the banner. I've seen on the internet a O'Shova model done with exact same banner. What third-party source did you get this from?

When have the time...As always I what translations of all your cool tau names (know I'm pestering a lot about that kind of stuff :roll: ) No rush, take your time! ;)
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jul 19 2016 07:03

Always appreciate the comments Tauman.

Tash'var: I've really fallen in love with this Sept and I feel like GW isn't going to fuss with it now that they've set the Gulf on fire. At the same time, I'm keeping it region specific just in case. Tash'var is regarded as the frontier of Tau space so I wanted a few more cultural aspects that I used to associate with the Enclaves (if you've seen Onos' stuff) that has fallen by the wayside since the restrictions were lifted from Farsight's armies.

The Banner Carrier: It's also from Wargame Exclusive:

http://wargameexclusive.com/shop/greater-good/greater-good-veteran-roiden/

I just cut up the models to spread out the customization.

Vocab: Specifically what? Like Stonedance or Ufa'cha?
~Good Hunting

Return to “Project Logs”