The Nightwind Cadre - Mike's Glacial Tau - Now with Manta

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O

Re: The Nightwind Cadre - Mike's Glacial Tau - Now with Manta

Post#11 » Jul 26 2016 03:43

A great scheme, and now I look forward to your peicing together of the giant! How did you "unbend" the wavy? Hot water bath?

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 26 2016 06:04

Tael wrote:A great scheme, and now I look forward to your peicing together of the giant! How did you "unbend" the wavy? Hot water bath?

Thanks for the feedback Teal. :D

The wavy was unbent through multiple very hot water baths of the specific section, with gentle manipulation, allow to cool, then repeat until I had it straight. It can be extra difficult when your dealing with thick bits of resin. There will definitely be some components too thick to bend, which will mean filling but, I'll cross that bridge and provide details when I get to them.

As an update for the rest of the Nightwind Cadre, here are some WIP and final shots of my Piranha Squadron.

As always comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas :smile:

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#13 » Jul 27 2016 03:55

Valaas wrote:

The transfer on the side is upside-down. The line and dot should have the line on the bottom, since it's the Tau character for zero.
Aside from that, those are fantastic. It makes me want to rebuild my own Piranhas.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 28 2016 05:09

Ooooops..... :eek:

I'm going to go with...written upside down on purpose so they're enemies can read it when their inverted....ala 'Top Gun'! ;)

Not that I thought it looked cool that way and hadn't even thought to check out what it actually said!

I have to say that after painting 3 in a row, I'd be glad to not see one on my painting desk for some time (though I have a TX-42 sitting waiting to be built!)

And now, in the words of Monty Python, for something completely different.

Photos below are of the first of my Kroot Knarloc riders, this one was fully complete however in the recent house move his fore-claws have come off and chipped so badly it will be a strip and start again job. I'll get round to them when I paint up his 2 pack mates, until then he can be know as stumpy.

I have used red and black 'War Paint' on my Kroot, to tie them with the rest of my army, while maintaining their distinct look.

Cheers,
Valaas

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#15 » Jul 28 2016 09:49

You never cease to impress with your collection of Forge World goodies. I always loved the striated skin on the Knarlocs. The war paint is cool too, I never thought to do that for my Kroot (not that I use them anymore).

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 29 2016 08:56

Just a short update...

The Nightwind Cadre has been bolstered by a sniper and his attendant sniper drones:

And even the Cadre's Manta is showing a bit of progress, with the Fire Command and Control Corridor receiving a lick of paint!

As always, comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#17 » Aug 29 2016 12:10

Excellent work on the sniper team, that'll look sharp on the table. The Manta is undergoing good progress too. Do you plan to hand brush the whole thing, or are you going to make significant use of an airbrush/spray cans?

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Aug 30 2016 05:09

Agentarrow wrote:Excellent work on the sniper team, that'll look sharp on the table. The Manta is undergoing good progress too. Do you plan to hand brush the whole thing, or are you going to make significant use of an airbrush/spray cans?

Thanks for the great comments.

Manta will be a combination of brush work and airbrush, brush work for the more detailed confined sections, such as the cockpit, fire control etc and then air brush and sprays for the externals and large internal areas.

As always my problem with my airbrush is getting the block of free time to use it.....but watch this space.

Once the fire control corridor is complete the build will recommence, with no more painting required until it is complete.

I've got a lot on my list at the moment, but hope to do the air caste controllers and their consoles while painting other tau units.

Cheers,
Valaas

Tael
Fio'O

Post#19 » Aug 31 2016 07:48

Look forward to the update on the detail painting - I was curious how you were going to appraoch the painting also; good to know :)

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 05 2016 06:25

Time is being split at the moment between the War Room and the Nightwind Cadre, not much progress on my Tau. Once my Kappa Base tile is complete I will be able to take a break from terrain and focus solely on my Tau.

In the meantime, here is a WIP of my Commander Nightwind:

It's not clear in the photos, but the commanders base is a detailed chuck of concrete rubble (resin), complete with rubble, rebar, pipes etc.

Here is the first of his 3 bodyguards, each one of the Forge World Suits:

Cheers,
Valaas

Return to “Project Logs”