Evolution of the War Room

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Valaas
Shas'Saal

Evolution of the War Room

Post#1 » Jul 28 2016 05:36

To complete my move to Advanced Tau Tactica, I thought I'd move my other big PLOG over here.

After moving into a new house last year and convincing my long suffering wife that the garage was to be my 'man cave', I hatched a plan to build the War Room a purpose built gaming room that would be my gaming groups main table. Given that all of us are now in our 30's it needed to be deluxe with everything the more mature gamer might need.

Over the next few posts I'll go through the evolution of the 'War Room' up to present time and then onward with new projects, such as Terrain, Work Bench, display cabinets etc.

So first up was to draw up some plans...

And then looking at this and wondering where to even begin to start...

As always comments, suggestions and questions always welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Evolution of the War Room

Post#2 » Jul 28 2016 09:52

Everything the "More mature gamer" may need. A bar, and a television :P
Well, it looks like a solid concept. Looking forward to your progress, though it looks like you have quite the adventure ahead of you.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#3 » Jul 29 2016 06:15

The fridge is essential. Then the table top then the coasters for the contents of said fridge.

Suffice to say, looking forward to the evolution of this project, been desiring a purpose built table for ages. :)

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 29 2016 08:40

My two cents: I wouldn't put my project table next to the playing table. I'd swap it with the gaming bookshelf.

Aside from that I look forward to seeing your progress. :D

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 31 2016 04:21

Cheers for the comments and input guys,

As I said this is a plog that's been transferred over so things have moved on quite a bit since those plans!

The work bench is now a small set of shelves (due to a concrete plinth resulting in moving the board), where the laptop sits, linked up to the wall mounted TV. The laptop is linked to my server so can pull up rules, e-codex's or just have a movie on in the background. The old glass fronted display cabinet has been sold to make way for my work bench and then additional storage cabinets on the long wall, these parts are not yet complete so you'll get them as updates once the backlog is cleared and I have actually done the work.

So first up is the beginnings of the actual gaming table:

The table is in actual fact a frame where 2'x2' tiles can be put in place and by having it as a frame when I get to building my city board I can sink canals etc. down from the board level, to create a real 3d effect. The tiles can also be replaced with blanks, then it can be used for board games like space hulk or to give more work space.

The initial board is an 8'x4' realm of battle board with build in tile racks, shelving, a die rolling tray and lay down area:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s32.photobucket.com/user/Valaas/embed/War%20Room/story"></iframe>

By saving the old kitchen table I was also able to create some in board storage....

Cheers,
Valaas

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 05 2016 02:25

This post brings us up to the current status of the War Room, everything after this is WIP and I'll post up as thinks move forward.

So the first board for the war room was the old GE realm of battle boards, consisting of 4 hill tiles, and 4 flat tiles allowing a maximum size of 4'x8' board and any combination less than that.

Painting the boards was very straighten forward, first I sprayed a chaos black under coat, then using a roller painted all the non-detailed bits using watered down Caliban Green. Once that had dried I 'Ghosted' several layers of skull white (basically spraying from about double the normal distance) on the board to create a white board, but with variations in color where the green base coat showed through. After that all the rocks and skull pits where painted up and the board was then fully flocked.

The picture show the progression and then the finished article.

Next up on the War Room project is a load of terrain to represent Kappa base in an ongoing campaign, the backlog for this:

- On FW Imperial Strongpoint Tile
- 6 GW Containers
- 4 road sections,
- Fuel dump
- Ammo Dump
- 2 pill boxes
- An Aquilla landing pad
- 2 woods
- 3 dug outs
- Scattered boulders

Phew....a long list but I think I'll be getting some help!

Cheers,
Valaas

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 05 2016 04:06

Nice! I managed to make the same deal but our garage is significantly smaller. I'd love to put in a gaming table some time (currently just a hobby room). First I would need to clean and organize the layer of bits, kits, tools and spray cans covering the entire floor but for a narrow path from door :roll: to workbench.
- Christian

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 29 2016 08:41

I know the feeling, even with the table complete its a constant battle to keep the layer of bits, kits, tools and spray cans in order!

The War Room it's self is currently on a bit of a hiatus due to a Hrrud (aka mice) infestation chewing through the central heating pipes!

However, as me and the family are in temporary rented accommodation, my boss (aka wife) issued list of DIY jobs can't be worked on until the end of September, so every night is free for some painting!

Currently working my way through a load of scatter terrain for the assault on Kappa Base scenario, which is part of an ongoing mini-campaign between the Tau and the Imp Guard (if people are interested, I can post the fluff and the details?).

Pic shows most of the terrain being worked on in their unpainted state, currently working on some rocks (complete), 6x GW armored containers (3 done and 3 to go), a fuel dump and the FW Imperial Strong Point tile (Kappa Base itself).

Here are some WIP shots of Kappa Base more to follow.

As always, comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#9 » Aug 29 2016 12:06

This just makes me want my gaming table that much more. Excellent work so far. Is that one of the Forge World pieces for the Realm of Battle board?

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 30 2016 04:50

Glad the War Room is encouraging some more hobby madness!

I can't wait to get back in there for the Kappa Base Assault and get the flat screen playing something suitably epic in the back ground, with some cold beers in the built in fridge!

Agentarrow wrote:This just makes me want my gaming table that much more. Excellent work so far. Is that one of the Forge World pieces for the Realm of Battle board?

Yes well spotted that is in fact the Imperial Strong Point FW produced for the realm of battle board (https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Real ... trongpoint) and is in fact the first one they ever did, so it has been gathering dust in my collection for some time!

I'm making good head way with it an look to have the main base coating shading and highlighting done by the end of the week but, the level of detail on it is likely to take a least another week of work to get done. Then it will have to wait until I can get back into the War Room, so I can flock it like the rest of the board.

Cheers,
Valaas

Return to “Project Logs”