Evolution of the War Room

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Evolution of the War Room

Post#11 » Aug 31 2016 07:50

Looking brilliant - what primer are you using to base the painting of the sections?

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Sep 05 2016 06:03

Tael wrote:Looking brilliant - what primer are you using to base the painting of the sections?

Thanks for the Feedback, it is definitely keeping me motivated :D

Tael, the steps for each section are below, though the first 2 steps are for the Forge World sections only, if its just GW plastic sections you can start a step 3:

1. Resin bath time- soak the tile in warm (not hot!) water with washing up liquid and scrub. I use an old electric toothbrush and a kitchen scrubbing brush. This is to give it a really good clean and make sure any residual mold release agents are removed.

2. Initial undercoat - I use a 'Halfords' Car Primer Grey (this is what Forge world use themselves) (basically a budget matt car primer). The reason for this is; as its resin the solvent content in GW primers is too low and can result in the paint not adhering to the model and can flake off. The car primer has a higher solvent content so sticks to the resin better.

3. Straight Chaos Black Spray Undercoat.

4. Caliban Green - spray or watered down and applied with a roller.

5. Corax White Spray undercoat - 'Ghosted' (spray from 2x the recommended distance), as many layers as you like to build up the white in places with green showing through in others.

6. Paint the details - obliviously lots of stages here!!!

7. Careful 'Ghosting' of corax white spray to soften the edges of details e.g. earth sections, and give a light snow dusting in places.

8. Flock snow areas with Woodland scenics snow flock.

9. Add realistic 'snow mush' (Water, effect, PVA, white paint and snow flock), on selected areas e.g, on top of fortifications and some edges.

As an update scatter terrain is coming along nicely, Photos are of the 99% complete fuel dump (just needs snow mush added, but I will do that in bulk over a lot of terrain pieces at the same time).

As always, comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Sep 15 2016 10:27

Just a quick update.....nothing finished yet but Kappa Base is progressing, with some new WIP shots below....

As always comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Valaas

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#14 » Sep 20 2016 04:24

Tael wrote:The fridge is essential. Then the table top then the coasters for the contents of said fridge.

I don't know if it's too late to make changes, but what Tael said is very true. If it were me, I would make coasters similar to the way a pool table looks, where they drop down and offer much less chance of accidental spillage onto the gaming surface.

That being said, everything looks like it's coming together wonderfully. Keep up the good work and keep us...posted...kyekekekeke. :crafty:

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#15 » Sep 23 2016 09:46

Just primer? Was expecting some textured primer - thats pretty defined detail on those board sections (plastic). Quite impressed.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#16 » Sep 28 2016 11:19

I agree, the surface finish is fantastic for terrain. It seems better than the standard Realm of Battle board.
I will also have to keep the primer solvent content in mind for the future. I was unaware of the issue and was a bit upset when a chunk of paint flaked off of my Barracuda after such a wonderfully smooth base coat. I ended up turning it into battle damage, and I'll finish it with a sealing spray when I'm done, but it's good to know why that happened and how to avoid it in the future.

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Sep 29 2016 12:07

Thanks for all the comments! :D

Yup just primer...the Forge World Realm of Battle Board takes the level of textured detail through the roof and is actually another form of resin rather than plastic. I'll definitely be picking up more in the future.

Agentarrow wrote:I agree, the surface finish is fantastic for terrain. It seems better than the standard Realm of Battle board.
I will also have to keep the primer solvent content in mind for the future. I was unaware of the issue and was a bit upset when a chunk of paint flaked off of my Barracuda after such a wonderfully smooth base coat. I ended up turning it into battle damage, and I'll finish it with a sealing spray when I'm done, but it's good to know why that happened and how to avoid it in the future.

As a funny coincidence it was paint flaking off my Barracuda that prompted me to research the problem and find (actually on the Forge World Website) the solution, I remember I was absolutely gutted at the time. Ever since it has been car primer first on all resin models.

I've been travelling a lot over the last few weeks with work, so no progress on the Kappa Base tile however, I have finished three of my Munitorum Containers.....

As always comments, suggestions and questions welcome.

Cheers,
Mike

Two Spartan
Shas

Post#18 » Oct 23 2016 06:32

That fuel dump and those crates look great! You really captured the industrial feel.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#19 » Oct 23 2016 07:57

Agreed. Maybe I should get that container set.

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Oct 24 2016 02:26

The yellow stipe on the green container is sexy man. I'd love to see how you did it. The set is looking lovely I'd say I'll have to pick some up but they'll have to go to the back of a very long cue, lol.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#21 » Oct 24 2016 09:15

Completely agree with Darklighter, I really like the green container finish. And also agree - would love to own some; but man.. my painting queue haha. :D

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Oct 25 2016 03:57

Thank you all for all the great comments! :biggrin:

I have to say I can't recommend the container kits enough, they're fun to build and relatively quick to paint. Best of all they are so different painting wise to Tau, its a great way to break up the massive backlog of Tau we all undoubtedly have!

What makes them even better is how versatile they are as terrain, between me an my regular gaming buddy we have 6 and they're great for scatter terrain, zone mortalis objectives or can be stacked up to provide more substantial terrain (great for hiding a riptide behind!).

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:The yellow stipe on the green container is sexy man. I'd love to see how you did it. The set is looking lovely I'd say I'll have to pick some up but they'll have to go to the back of a very long cue, lol.

You're wish is my command Darklighter......the yellow strip is really simple to do:

1) Container was undercoated with Chaos Black spray
2) A very broad strip (much wider than the final one) was painted on using 2 thinned coats of Averland Sunset and then finally dry brushed with Yriel Yellow.
3) Weathering was done by watering down Doombull brown (to the consistency of milk) and painting thin lines in all the recesses, this is what makes it look like dirt has accumulated.
4) Carefully wrap a thin strip of modelling masking tape right round the container where you want your yellow stripe to be.
5)Paint the rest of the container Castellan Green, being careful, but not to careful around the tape (make sure you go over the tape edge).
6) Once dry peel of the tape and you'll have a yellow stripe....in some places the green will have got under the tape edge but this gives the effect that the yellow is on top and has flaked away revealing the green underneath.
7) Lightly stipple more of the Castellan Green onto the yellow in places to get more areas where it looks like the stripe has been worn away.
8) Put a little Agrax Earth Shade onto a pallet and leave it for 5 mins to thicken a bit and then use it sparingly to apply the leaks as much as you like.
9)Not required but you can also finish up with a very light dry brush of necron compound on very raised areas showing were all the paint has weathered away revealing the bare metal.

Hope that helps, love to know how you get on if you give it a try.....the doombull brown trick is a great simple weathering technique that also works on vehicles etc.

Hope to have a more substantial update for both the War Room and my Nightwind Cadre soon.

Cheers,
Valaas

Return to “Project Logs”