Christian's Commie Tau

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
chmcclellan
Shas

Christian's Commie Tau

Post#1 » Aug 04 2016 02:27

Hi All-
I've wanted to build a suit focused army for a while now after playing gue'la for years. However, after the arrival of my first child, I took about a year away from the hobby altogether. Now that he is almost a year old, I'm feeling the itch and am starting on my long fantasized cadre.

I want to go for a Russian army theme, given our shared collectivist tendancies. Below is my first test model which I used to try my color scheme and practice magnetizing suits. I've never done such heavy whethering, let me know if you think it is too much. Also, any tips on magnetizing would be appreciated: it seems as thought the 1/16" magnets I found are still slightly larger than the mounting tabs.

(forgive the cellphone camera)

So, what do you think? Although i'll largely be running Shas'ui suits, I wanted to use red on the head for some contrasting color (if I understand correctly an 'ui would normally only have red antenna?). I think my commander will be all red. The new crisis kit has some red marking transfers that I think will look good - speaking of which, very excited for the new crisis kit . . .
- Christian

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Christian's Commie Tau

Post#2 » Aug 04 2016 02:55

Honestly, the head color doesn't matter too much as long as you're consistent. Only my commander has an orange helmet. All my other suits have the blue-grey of their armor and I denote rank by the orange stripes on their thigh guards.

The weathering looks good with the green and red, it looks like a well used suit.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 04 2016 03:03

Nice suits, chmcclellan. I like your weathering and the red star on the Missile Pods.
Painting the Commander in the Sept color is completely fine fluff-wise. It's stated that some elite units/models are painted in an inverted color scheme to contrast from the rest of the army. I'm gonna do the same for my Commander actually. ;)

Agentarrow wrote:Honestly, the head color doesn't matter too much as long as you're consistent. Only my commander has an orange helmet. All my other suits have the blue-grey of their armor and I denote rank by the orange stripes on their thigh guards.

The weathering looks good with the green and red, it looks like a well used suit.

Well actually a Shas'Vre has his whole helmet in the Sept Color as well.
Of course it doesn't matter THAT much but if you want to keep it fluffy...well that's how it is. ^^

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Aug 04 2016 03:28

Right, I'm aware of the standard fluff markings, but fluffy Tau wouldn't really paint a star on their armor either. ;)
My point is pick a method that you like and stick with it.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 04 2016 11:17

Good point. :D

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 05 2016 03:22

Hmm, aesthetics vs. fluff ... I'll probably go with the rule of cool, but assuming I magnetize heads like I did with this guy, I won't have to make a permanent decision (also useful should I ever decide to run a unit with a Shas'vre).

With business, wife, and baby, most of my modeling and painting time comes after everyone else is in bed. Since a lot of builds I'm looking at include one or two commanders controlling six marker drones apiece, I spent the evening cleaning and assembling 12 marker drones - Fun! :-? At least when I'm having fun assembling Riptides I'll be happy I got these out of the way.

Well, it's after 1 am I'm on infant duty tomorrow morning so I'm off to bed. Goodnight all.
- Christian

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 05 2016 09:12

So, has anybody taken the time to fill the second drone antenna hole? GW just leaves it there and even highlights it on their studio drones, but looking at these in the light of day it's rubbing me the wrong way . . .
- Christian

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#8 » Aug 05 2016 09:38

I've never tried it, but they should fill easily and look clean.

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#9 » Aug 23 2016 12:51

Traveled back to the east coast for a wedding and to see family so hobby time has been somewhat limited (I did read Farsight and really enjoyed it).

Marker drones are finally done to a standard I'm happy with:

The red drones will be assigned to commanders while the Russian green drones will either be assigned to crisis units or compose drone squads. Used the same heavy weathering as the test suit and it's growing on me. I think across a cadre it will be quite nice and tell a real story. I did end up greenstuffing the second antenna socket for a smooth look.

Next up are some of the new crisis units. I also received the resin bases I'll be using for the army. I generally like to paint all the bases for the army in one go in order to ensure consistency.
- Christian

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#10 » Aug 28 2016 02:01

Assembled six crisis suits today. I like the new kit a lot, although I find the shoulder pads tend to get in the way of the arm mounted weapons.

Once these are painted, I'll be moving on to a commander and riptides! Excited to get on to the bigger models. I've also started laying down a base on the Secret Weapon Miniatures scenic bases I'll be using.

- Christian

Return to “Project Logs”