Christian's Commie Tau

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Re: Christian's Commie Tau

Post#11 » Aug 28 2016 08:28

I have never used the Secret Weapon bases, but they have some incredible detail. Consider me impressed.
I'm looking forward to your larger models ;)

Tael
Fio'O

Post#12 » Aug 31 2016 07:54

I was just thinking that - whoa. Also, slightly thinner bases at that.

Solid amount of work in the project log too!

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#13 » Oct 01 2016 02:45

Slow progress on this project this month, and even less time for updates. My hope is to have something to show for Armies on Parade but that may be optimistic. A deadline always helps with my productivity.

Bases (I tried to take pictures at every step, but they probably don't correlate 1:1):
-Drybrushed VGC Stonewall Grey then VMC Dead White
-Metal Painted VGC Gunmetal, then VGC Brown Ink
-Wood painted VGC Charred Brown, Drybrushed VGC Earth, VGC Heavy Brown, and VGC Bonewhite on Edges.
-An oil wash of lamp black and van dyke brown was applied
-Secret Weapon Rust Brown, Rust Red and Rust Orange pigments were applied to the metal.
-Secret Weapon Dark Earth, Green Earth and Ancient Earth pigments were applied where I thought soil might show through.
-After sealing the pigment, bases were given black rims with a Liquitex acrylic paint marker - a breakthrough in base rim painting.

Suits:
-Airbrushed VGC Gunmetal
-Zenthal airbrush of VGC Silver
-Lamp black oil wash to recesses and burt umber oil wash all over
- Drybrush with VGC Gunmetal, sealed with Testors glosscote.
-Three layers of AK Heavy Chipping Fluid
Next, using the AK 4BO Russian Green color modulation kit
-Airbrush Russian 4BO Shadow
-30 deg (from horizontal) zenithal airbrush of Russian 4BO Base
-60 deg (from horizontal) zenithal airbrush of Russian 4BO Light Base
-Spot highlights using Russian 4BO Highlight

Next, weathering!
- Christian

Tael
Fio'O

Post#14 » Oct 01 2016 04:58

Nice breakdown, thank you!

I find VGC sometimes a bit too satin, I've been wandering into using predominantly their core historical ranges for constant flat colour.

Does airbrush bust this issue? Or do you still get a satin result if left alone?

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#15 » Oct 01 2016 06:49

Tael wrote:Nice breakdown, thank you!

I find VGC sometimes a bit too satin, I've been wandering into using predominantly their core historical ranges for constant flat colour.

Does airbrush bust this issue? Or do you still get a satin result if left alone?

Thanks Tael. I always use Testors Dullcote for my final seal so haven't noticed. Prior to that, I find oil washes to go on better over gloss or satin and I always gloss before applying decals for the flattest, smoothest surface. I probably apply varnish 2-3 times at various points before before getting to the final Dullcote - these act like save points.

Vallejo Model Colors are also very nice, as are the Reaper paints. I tend to pick up tutorials for a given technique here and there and follow their formulas. I do try to avoid/find alternatives to Citadel and P3 paints. I went through the trouble of putting all of my Citadel paints in dropper bottles a few years ago and only go through the trouble when I really need to.

-Christian
- Christian

Czar Ziggy
Fio'Ui

Post#16 » Oct 02 2016 08:50

Well Chmcclellan, now I'll need to go out and get me some Crisis suits because I love the ones you've done. I haven't picked up any of the new version and I can't get over some of the posses you've done with them. They look absolutly awesome! That last one in particular!

Czar Ziggy

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#17 » Oct 07 2016 01:50

Thanks Czar Ziggy - the new crisis suits are infinitely better.

More progress. I've decided to focus on getting everything built for Armies on Parade so I can assembly line paint everything in time for October 15th (which isn't to think of when I am going to get to a display board...).

First, Crisis Suit Commander, as with other crisis suits, all 4 weapon/support points are magnetized if I want to run him as something other than a marker'o.

Second, my Riptide Wing relying heavily on the great work of other ATT members: Agentarrow's amazing short barreled burst cannon kit, Kael'yn's Riptide shoulders, and Paulson Games heads. Again, magnetized if I decide to run Ion or other secondary weapons.

Only 3 models to go ...
- Christian

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#18 » Oct 07 2016 09:40

This is the first time I've seen my version 2 kit in the wild. They look excellent. The myriad assorted conversion kits actually mesh quite well.

chmcclellan
Shas

Post#19 » Oct 12 2016 02:44

Definitely, I think they'l look even better when painted up.

Armies on Parade: All construction and priming done, 3(.5) days to go. The airbrushing hood is getting crowded.

- Christian

Valaas
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Oct 12 2016 04:57

Wow ...that looks like a lot to do in 3.5 days! :eek:

Good luck!

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#21 » Oct 17 2016 10:41

Looking great!

I really like what you have done with the Riptide shields, especially filling in the Tau symbol. I may have to steal this idea for mine (if it ever gets finished...)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#22 » Oct 20 2016 10:21

I'm eagerly awaiting your results from Armies on Parade. How did things work out? Did you finish in time?

Return to “Project Logs”