Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#19 » Oct 26 2016 10:32

I would honestly consider buying you one, just so you would design the conversion kit for it Arrow... awesome! I will need at least 4 ghost keels so that will be cool.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#20 » Oct 26 2016 10:53

I appreciate the offer, but I'll probably get one on my own. My Tau are a very slow-grow army because I customize just about everything. When I'm happy with the ghostkeel I'll move on to something else.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#21 » Oct 27 2016 05:04

That makes sense, I will need to be patient then on my broadsides.

Another base just a 32mm.

Swapped out the fire warrior..

Speaking of firewarriors!

Have 3 squads of fire prepped, they now primed been feeling sick so haven't been able to sleep.

Is 2 Squads of fire warriors with the shortened carbine barrel.

Then a breacher team.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#22 » Oct 27 2016 06:21

UPDATE!! Managed to get some major progress done!

Drones! Most of all I have gotten my Base Scheme settled and the main scheme for the army settled. Now is time to dive deep into conversions, and get the factory rolling out troops for the greater good!

And bases for all the fire warriors!

Just missing my Crystals, but am thinking i will keep the crystals very suttle and they will become more prominent as the bases get larger.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#23 » Oct 27 2016 09:04

Finishing up my session for the night.... being sick has its perks and wife is working :)

Another good 3 hours and they will be done!

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Oct 27 2016 09:18

Your models look pretty sweet. I'm really excited to see your finished fire warrior teams and the bigger suits when you get to them. I'm a sucker for suits, what can I say.

It amuses me that your models have a somewhat similar color scheme, yet everything else about your army is significantly different than mine. You paint your models before assembling them (I worry about getting mine assembled so I can throw them down on the table before their done painted) and your army fluff significantly more grimdark than mine (I like my characters to fall pretty squarely in the morally good side of things). "The Greater Good above all... in honor of the Tau'va, at times terrible things must be done." That's horrifying... and pretty awesome.

I'm curious to know if you're planning on doing more extensive fluff, or if you're mainly interested in the painting/modeling aspect of your army.

I like the pulse carbine conversion too.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#25 » Oct 27 2016 09:29

I love suit too, am gonna be going pretty heavy on suit base troops in my army.

I have several boxed suits ready to go, but am working my way up to them and gathering all the parts I need to make conversions.

Learned quite abit, from building my marine armies and the more of them I built. The more i learned is best to assembly and build at the same time in stages. Using the air brush to its full potential really works best when things are in pieces to prevent over spray.

I am gonna need to check out your stuff! My other forces are a more " Good " focused fluff working with others etc.. My Tau I wanted to go in a different direction and every time I face tau they out for blood on the tabletop, figured I would make mine out for blood as well.. A dark cadre prepared to do what is needed for the empire.

Am doing some more work on the fluff, will likely add more around the Cadre leadership first. Abit more back story about them, then some more stuff about the home world.

Glad you enjoy the small conversion thus far, my goal it to have some kinda small conversion on each unit if I can.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#26 » Oct 28 2016 12:30

Ordered the remaining parts for my Crisis Suits. Hope to have them all in hand in the next week or two.

Mean time I will finish the firewarriors and breachers. Once those are done I have a few commissions and will start work on the crisis suits and all the drones I have.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#27 » Oct 28 2016 09:20

Just have a few more things left on these guys, some highlights, working on the accessories I stick them to tape and paint them before gluing so they have more debth.

Once that's all done and attached I will add the cloaks and finish weathering the troops.

Photos arnt the best I just realized that.. oh well!

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » Oct 29 2016 06:16

:D Very well done. Nice touch on the bases, why the helmet swap? Some fluff reason?

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#29 » Oct 29 2016 09:38

I actually swapped them, I mistakenly put them on incorrectly. :/

Got the accessories finished just gotta do the weathering now, am working on casting the backpacks I need for the troops and prepping the cloaks.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#30 » Oct 30 2016 02:25

UPDATE~!

Finished the first 15,

Cranking open all my drones next so can get them all out of the way before I start suits.

Breachers

Fire Warriors

Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Oct 30 2016 09:10

I really like the color scheme you have chosen for your army and you have executed it beautifully.

I also love seeing well based minis, especially with tufts!

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#32 » Oct 31 2016 09:17

Thank you been very nervous about it, spending a lot of time planning and trying to work it out.

Basing is a huge factor for me, bases tell a story about what is going on. Each base is part of a larger story.

Then 18 drones and 3 drone turrets.

HQs

Using a different arm.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#33 » Oct 31 2016 10:00

I have only recently started doing anything other than simple bases, but I completely agree. My Skitarii tell a better story than my Tau do for that reason, because they have bits of Tau strewn across the battlefield. Some of them are even standing on or climbing over pieces of a Devilfish (Pro tip: one Devilfish kit is enough material to make rubble for an entire army's worth of miniatures.)

Darkstriding
Kor

Post#34 » Nov 01 2016 07:22

Your colour scheme is amazing and I love your conversions, the Ethereal with the Dwarf engineer's axe is brilliant, I may just borrow that idea :P and bases are a key part of an army that often get neglected so it's nice to see people talking about them! Loving this thread so far :D

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#35 » Nov 01 2016 11:05

Agentarrow wrote:I have only recently started doing anything other than simple bases, but I completely agree. My Skitarii tell a better story than my Tau do for that reason, because they have bits of Tau strewn across the battlefield.

Agree with you there, am using my huge stash of space marine bits for all my bases in some form. I have so far stuck to the rusted look on all the marine tech, but i am add some of my space marine chapter colors to the ruins soon.

Darkstriding wrote:Your color scheme is amazing and I love your conversions, the Ethereal with the Dwarf engineer's axe is brilliant, I may just borrow that idea :P and bases are a key part of an army that often get neglected so it's nice to see people talking about them! Loving this thread so far :D

Thank you so much Dark that really makes me feel very good mate! :) I have held on to that Dwarf Engi axe for a year always coming close to using in a piece. We have a special character competition going on at a local store in the escalation league. Am hoping to win best special Char and Best Painted in the competition.

materpillar wrote:) and your army fluff significantly more grimdark than mine (I like my characters to fall pretty squarely in the morally good side of things). "The Greater Good above all... in honor of the Tau'va, at times terrible things must be done." That's horrifying... and pretty awesome.

I'm curious to know if you're planning on doing more extensive fluff, or if you're mainly interested in the painting/modeling aspect of your army.

Materpillar, I now have some more fluff for you to enjoy my friend. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint. Anyone please feel free to chime in on the fluff give more ideas or things that would be cool to improve on. Am building the fluff up for part of the escalation league competition too. Is a best fluff award and would love to win it in the name of ATT.

Am still new to tau fluff so is a lot I don't know, my goal is to have my cadre make sense and be able to fit into the 40k universe. I do this in all my fluff forces in 40k, picking worlds with little background so I can do what I want history wise.

The Expanded Fluff " Will add it to the opening thread post too. "

--OPENING UPLINK TO DATABASE - AUTHORIZATION CODE: ****** --
--AUTHORIZATION CODE ACCEPTED. ACCESS GRANTED.--

The sun was already long below the horizon as Shas’O Kirna surveyed the dark wasteland beyond the hive city limits. The vast world of Sa'Cea a barren, rocky landscape, harsh and unforgiving to all life. It is here where the 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui train its Cadre warriors for battle. Orders from T’au commanding Kirna to stand ready and refit for the next great expansion. This order to remain on the arid plain, not being accepted with open arms by the 42nd. The urge for battle growing as each day passed, yet still the obeyed all T’au.

The surrounding area filled with the sounds of missile bombardments as his cadre worked diligently to accomplish its task. Rows of a prototype XV90 Broadside Battle-suits, similar to the XV88 model with the exception of a few improvements such as Advanced targeting sensors, sleeker railgun design with improve energy capacity to increase firing time. The XV90, currently stood equipped with a prototype twin link High yield missile pod design. Each XV90 firing multiple volleys of four missiles per volley to gauge optimal range and target acquisition per missile.

“The necessary evil in the face pending threats, Soon shall we exterminate the heretics, and for T’au. “

Shas’ O Kirna commented to a group of officers behind him, taking in data and making adjustments calculations to XV90 pilots.

The Heretics of which he speaks refer to any foe that T’au condemned to execution, and any others who would stand against the Empire. Over the centuries many foes stood against the Empire. Why, a target needed to be purged never crossed the mines of the 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui all that mattered was complying with the standing order for T’au.

The 42nd a cadre made up of hardened warriors who were willing to sacrifice all glory for the service of the Tau’va. It was decided that the Unforeseen Strike Cadre was needed to combat the growing threat of Heretics, as a force that would be able to move swiftly and conduct high speed strikes with no mercy. The warriors that made up the 42nd preferred battles against the Imperium and their mighty Space marine chapters. No, other foe was considered in the same esteem of honour on the battlefield. Several battles against foes such as Daemons, Tyranids, Orks, and Eldar has occurred during the 42nd’s formation but no other foe measured up as the greatest prize/trophy for a 42nd M'yen Ka Kau'ui warrior as a helmet from a fallen space marine.

It was hoped that a more sober, and apathetic attitude towards killing would make each warrior able to perform not only the purging of worlds, but hunting of renegades/traitors to the empire an easy task. Likewise the slaughtering the civilian populations and prisoners/deserters who did not repent their ways and accept the free gift of joining all Tau’va.

While this Cadre was formed during the second expansion to follow the call for great good to cover all the galaxy in name of T’au, never before had a cadre been assembled for the purposes of pure destruction and ruthlessness. Sa’cea the homeworld of warriors, had been the logical choice to rally such a Cadre. Its warriors raise from birth to bring honor to T’au. The price being no mercy, no retreat, no fear under any condition. Victory or Death for the great good of all T’au such was their sacrifice. Forever they would be sent into acts of violence and against terrible foes, with only hopes of recognition of glory, and valor. For all purposes, they were simply a military killing team, made to do all the dirty work so others of higher morals could create a greater empire without its average citizen ever knowing the full scale of the price for Expansion.

The commander of this force felt so close to their next great goal, only a few more months of development left in the new Tsunami battlesuits, all Fio'Vre arrow’s calculations being integrated into the strike forces Riptide and Crisis suit battle units. The prototype XV90 Broadside being of pure 42nd warrior development, though rumor spoke of outside developers being asked to produce pieces of the new broadside.

Still Kirna continued pushing the Sa’cea industries to produce suits and ships of the fleet at an unsustainable rate till achieving full Cadre strength again. Some odd quirks about Shas’ O Kirna the commanding officer have been noted by some warriors, such as repeating himself multiple times, holding onto small objects and arranging items into line or other patterns. Kirna however has proven his zeal and earned commendations multiple times in the officers academy and been decorated on the battlefield many times as a skilled Riptide pilot. A native to the Sa'Cea Sept steeped in knowledge of urban warfare, bloodied from long months of constant battling. Kirna has shown only love and an almost poetic joy for battles, with an odd belief that battles contain a beauty only true warriors of T’au will ever see.

--UPLINK CLOSED--

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Nov 01 2016 04:20

Oooh more fluff. It's funny my inititial reaction was that my commander would greatly loath your cadre. Yet upon some minor introspection I noticed my cadre takes a very similar stance of complete and utter destruction of their enemies. It's just they're targeted towards daemons and things that threaten all life while yours are simply pointed towards what their superiors dislike (usually humans). So yeah, our cadres would have problems if they ever met up. :P

Anyway I noticed a couple of minor things that make your cadre feel slightly more space marine-esque than tau-esque (not all that surprising since you own a space marine army). Tau combat philosophy rarely takes a "no retreat" stance. In all but the most strategic locations they tend to value soldiers lives over ground held. Fluff-wise your army doesn't seem like it would have any particular reason for a no retreat policy. Seems much more of a "burn everything to the ground and salt the earth" as you retreat from enemy armies kind of force.

It also seemed a little strange that a glorified death squad would look for glory in combat. That feels more space marine like. I'd guess that they'd have much more of a grim outlooked as they mowed down civilians. Although I guess it'd make sense that they desire the perceived glories of combat instead of doing said war crimes. Hmmm.

Also seems a bit odd to me that they talk about killing "heretics". My impression of that term its religious nature and to the best of my knowledge tau don't consider themselves religious. That term is very much tied to the imperium of man. Maybe betrayers or condemned or something instead?

Curious to know how your commander came to be the commander of said force. Seems like it would take a very specific brand of unhinged (although you hinted a bit at that) or terrible bad luck to get placed in that position.

Also your commanders/sargeants should totally carry around space marine helmets on their models predator-like if you keep that bit of fluff.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Return to “Project Logs”