Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Demorte
Gue'La

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#101 » Dec 28 2016 08:38

Parts for riptides have arrived! So am starting work on them now! Few parts are missing, so have submitted a claim.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#102 » Dec 28 2016 10:08

You seem to have pretty poor luck with these prints. At least their customer service is good, so you'll be on your way in no time.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#103 » Dec 28 2016 11:18

Yeah, I do not know why that is :/

Haven't been having best luck with shipments lately... is possible something I ordered was on a semi truck that caught fire 3 weeks ago too...

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#104 » Dec 29 2016 06:14

Update! Upon Update! Upon Update!

The factories of Sa'cea have been busy this morning and afternoon.

Have a whole riptide wing formation being worked on eventually I will work on a 2nd ripetide wing.

I still need to develop fluff for the pilots and a name for the wing. Am open to ideas!

As always I start work on the base and the leg pose at the same time. This ensures the base will fit the stance and allow for placement of other items

The story being told is of The Unforseen Strike force " Tau " engaging entrenched imperial guard troops on a ancient battlefield. The battlefield is covered in rusted debris and fresh battlements. As the battle wages on Black Templar are called in to counter push the advancing Tau forces. My base scheme is attempting to paint this story further.

Enjoy!

Riptide 1 Base

Once I picked a pose I started to develop the structure to mount it.

Once I get the main contact points decided I add the pins to the base, not the feet. I will use green stuff, glue and texture paint to mount the finished model to the base pins.

I then begin adding debris to the base and other texture to make it uneven.

Once all key parts are set as I like, I then apply sand to the base.

The entrenchment is mostly finished, once sand dries I will add the 2nd layer of debris. These are items that would be sitting on top. In this case Sandbags and tarps.

Ripetide base 2

On this base is a mix of entrenchments vs open battlefield.
I utilize similar approach as I did above to build up the base.

Ripetide base 3

This one is an escape hatch or entrance to under ground bunker. Will be adding a lot of Sandbags behind the door to build a fortification.

I used half an imperial guard and greenstuff to do the guts. Pour guard was hit with a explosive round.

This is the expanded ledge for bags to be set on top of later.

I know this is a very long update but I been busy. Will be working on all three ripetides at same time to keep uniformity.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#105 » Dec 30 2016 12:10

Nice update. Those bases are looking great. Are you using a generic oven dried clay to bulk up the ground work or is that something else?

I can't wait to see those Riptides painted!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#106 » Dec 30 2016 01:54

The Clays I use is a Air dray Clay or a Slow Drying clay. This clay works a lot like poster board puddy texture wise. Its like two bucks at hobby lobby marketed for kids. I like the slow drying cause it allows for me to mount and to press things in even after I apply the pva. This helps for when I add crystals, metal debris and a the riptides feet. So the have a dug in feel, since a Ripetide is heavy it should sink a bit into the ground. If I press into the clay after the base is fully painted I use citadel testure paint to clean it up.

Some of the rock fixtures are baked clay or Drywall plaster I just have a can of random shapes from that process.

:)

UPDATE!!

Riprtide 1 - This one I did in a similar stance to Agent Arrows as a Salute to my friend :)

Ripetide 2 - This one is in a perched stance, it will be kinda climbing up a rock. Out of the three I dislike this stance the most. It looks dramatic and once its on the base I may like it a lot more. I don't hate it but I feel I could of done better.

Ripetide 3 - This one is in a landing stance, almost a hover as if is lightly landing and intimidating terrified foes.

Right now am applying the first layer of Blue as I do on all my other models. Am hoping to get all three fully painting in the full blue scheme tonight. Then work on adding the Grey, White and Orange colors tomorrow. Will see how it goes, next riptides I do will not have the torso magnetized instead will keep the pin, but replace it with metal rode and make it a bit deeper. The magnets are not enough to hold the whole weight of riptide torso. Its a very top heavy model so I ended up just gluing them.

Normally I would paint the model in various parts, but I miss calculated the space needed for the gun options. They where rubbing against the jet packs or knee pads. This scrapped the primer, and If it scraps the primer it will do the same with multiple layers of carefully applied blue.. So I had to remove the jet packs, readjust them so they didn't scrap things etc... by time that was done had messed up the first primer coat and just said screw it am gluing parts.

The models are still in a stage where I can reach all the places I need to for painting. My approach will change on the next batch. This is all minor stuff that wont effect the end result. Its just me taking notes for later reference to optimize the process.

Got the blue done on one riptide still two left and all the other parts.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#107 » Dec 31 2016 01:34

:P

Got some Sandbags and tarps put on the base drying for another 24 hours.

Got some progress on the suits.

Takes a long time, to get the layers built up.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#108 » Jan 01 2017 10:11

They're looking great with that vibrant blue and orange.
Sorry for taking so long, holidays and such.
Anyway, this is what I was thinking. Something basically like a miniature Tidewall gunrig (or maybe something like a smaller piranha with a missile/rail turret on the back? I can model that too). I think the Tau would be more likely to use something like this compared to a foxhole.

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#109 » Jan 02 2017 12:05

Demorte wrote:The Clays I use is a Air dray Clay or a Slow Drying clay. This clay works a lot like poster board puddy texture wise. Its like two bucks at hobby lobby marketed for kids. I like the slow drying cause it allows for me to mount and to press things in even after I apply the pva. This helps for when I add crystals, metal debris and a the riptides feet. So the have a dug in feel, since a Ripetide is heavy it should sink a bit into the ground. If I press into the clay after the base is fully painted I use citadel testure paint to clean it up.

Some of the rock fixtures are baked clay or Drywall plaster I just have a can of random shapes from that process.

:

Good to know! I'll keep my eye out for it next time I am doing a supply run, thanks.

Riptides are coming along beautifully.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#110 » Jan 02 2017 12:40

Agentarrow wrote:They're looking great with that vibrant blue and orange.
Sorry for taking so long, holidays and such.
Anyway, this is what I was thinking. Something basically like a miniature Tidewall gunrig (or maybe something like a smaller piranha with a missile/rail turret on the back? I can model that too). I think the Tau would be more likely to use something like this compared to a foxhole.

That makes a lot of sense and wow that's way more detailed sketch then I ever considered. I think it is possible Arrow...!

The scale of it would need to to be abit smaller then the actual 60mm maybe 55mm leaving just abit of clearance. Then can mount the Missle pods under it or on the gun rig.

I would be interested in seeing the Pirhana one for sure, but don't wanna over tax your time. Still looking for ideas on my Pirhana conversions.

Tear-

Thank you :)

I hope the products help you.

......Update!......

I had some issues with the liquid mask that I used for the lines. I will likely go back to clay and tape.

I put two layers of gloss varnished down on the suits, then the mask and when removing the mask paint peeled off. To point it ruined the scheme at least with my sharp eye and very harsh critique of my work.

Thankfully I have been able to fix it and am back on track.

Unfortunately I am pretty much back to where I was a day and a half ago with applying the orange. Will be doing it likely be hand just to make sure it is done correctly this time. I don't wanna spend to much time on this step. Still much to do on these suits.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#111 » Jan 04 2017 03:26

Demorte wrote:Image

Parts for riptides have arrived! So am starting work on them now! Few parts are missing, so have submitted a claim.

Missing parts from last week update!! Submitted my claim no issues at all. Shapeways is great some how instead of them sending me the missing parts they just refunded me store credit. :D I am a happy camper!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#112 » Jan 04 2017 06:44

Good to hear there was no issue. Their customer service tends to be really good about those kinds of things. One bonus is that during their investigation they discovered an error with my file which I was able to correct. Nothing big, but it should print better in the future.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#113 » Jan 05 2017 09:39

Oh, that is good to know that the found something else too. For sure will make the next batch I order go smoother. :)

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#114 » Jan 08 2017 05:33

Have made some progress, I made a pretty big mistake and ended up stripping all the ripetides down. I took the opportunity to do more Magnetizing am much higher happier with that aspect of the models.

Arms, jets, all guns, and heads it will help for posing and storange.

Picked up a new orange base paint.

Won't be using liquid mask this time.

The 42nd was also dispatched to a distant world, a deep space probe indicated a demononic fisher forming on Galin a near by rogue sphere.

Upon arrival the local inhabitants had already fallen victim to the first wave of demon forces.

The 42nd lead by Shas'Gilnor took up bombardment formations and began to hammer the foes with heavy Missle fire. The probes indicated 60% casualties after the first bombardment. A large amount of demons arrived through the Fisher. Repeated bombardment resulted in heavy casualties with remaining forces abandoning the planet.

The 42nd suffered minimal damage, with exceptional to one stormsurge leaving with heavy systems damage.

Major Victory!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#115 » Jan 09 2017 04:48

:biggrin:

Doing some work on the tetras, had some damage to my Airbrush nozzle. Ordered another and a ultrasonic to clean the parts better too.

Finally got a sure fire process for my orange, much easier to apply and get the same result.

Base paint, was just missing a solid base paint between two paint layers.

Started on the base structure too.

Glad to finish up these tetras a good addition to the collection. Next question is what Forgeworld unit do I add to my collection next l.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#116 » Jan 09 2017 11:52

Update!

Bases are sanded!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#117 » Jan 14 2017 09:48

Update! Always be posting!

Had another battle using the reserve forces borrow from a friend.

Lost by 1 point due to alpha legion warlord hopping. Killed the warlord 4 times in that fight. Learned enough practicing to stand proud and know I didn't waste my money :)

Tearphoenix
Shas'La

Post#118 » Jan 14 2017 11:28

I really like how you built up the bases on the Tetras and hid the flight stem. Gives them a great appearance of barely skimming the surface, which is how I imagine them moving across the field of battle.

Return to “Project Logs”