Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Demorte
Gue'La

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#81 » Dec 18 2016 07:03

Doing some more work!

Just putting some base colors on the tetra very thin, have several more layers to do before I get to the main color.

Also doing some more work on all the drone bases. I am a big advacate of fully basing your armies including drones, jet bikes etc..

Drones are hovering over the same terrain as the rest of our army units.

Bases are amazing aspect of your models and honestly your base can make or break your model on the cool factor in my book. Bases tell a story about what is happening in your army theme.

The story I am telling in my army is of a force in the middle of a battle against space marines " Dark Templars "on a old battlefield where Imperium forces have fought before against the Tau Empire. The field is littered with rusted junk and debris from this old battles. While a whole new battle is taking place on top of it all. It's a wasteland, of junk, mud, death, with little life left remaining.

My tau are pretty weathered, some of my next pieces will have some more weathering done on them as I get abit more bold with my hobby knife. I now have a better grasp of how tau kits go together so I am not as hestitant to beat them up.

:Do

Always consider what your putting your units on base wise. If you army is all beat up, they shouldn't be on a clean perfect grass bsse.

I do a lot of prep planning about my bases before I build my models.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#82 » Dec 19 2016 10:25

Finishing up all the drone bases, I love doing bases and terrain so ended up going much further then I planned in today's session.

Just gotta touch up some skulls, and other debris then apply tuff and they will be done. :)

Here they are looking good.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#83 » Dec 20 2016 08:37

Got them done!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#84 » Dec 21 2016 05:55

42nd made it on to the battlefield again this time a legit arena for war. 1850 itc competition list vs competition list very blood game.

Nids vs Tau

Did not get nearly as many pictures as I wanted, turn 2 nids deep strikedown in pods..interceptor proved a lot more fun as the shooter then as a marine taking the shot in the face.

Won primary and maelstroms by 1 point each.

Decisive Victory.

War record is 3-1 currently however first 3 games are 500pt casual.

I likely not will make a fancy battle tracker list on my opening thread to keep count.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#85 » Dec 22 2016 01:34

I should start getting into ITC games. I want to start playing in friendly tournaments in 2018. Right now I'm too slow and methodical in my play to finish an 1850 game in under 3-4 hours. That doesn't make for an enjoyable tournament.

Looks like it was a bit of a bloodbath. I haven't fought Tyranids since 5th edition, are they good in 7th?

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#86 » Dec 22 2016 08:09

ITC is our house rules, so we play every game at full GT or major event level almost. Very fasted paced and a lot of difficult lists.

Nids are a tough match up if the person playing them has the right models and knows what they doing on the board. My opponent has every FW model and 20k worth of nids. Can play everything so I know when facing him we are gonna get some tough match ups.

Nid are not really winning tournaments in the GT and Major event level so they not currently a top tier army in the meta.

I highly recommend learning some ITC style match ups, they are very fun and open a wide range of events. Can be very competitive but enjoyable if your into that, is a lot of fun when you and your opponent can play at that level makes for a really great games. :D

Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#87 » Dec 22 2016 09:00

I still refuse to get into ITC games...I still remember back when i was still playing WHFB my mindset changed so much that it was pretty much impossible for me to play really casual games anymore. :D

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#88 » Dec 22 2016 10:12

Demorte wrote:Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot I had promised that.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#89 » Dec 22 2016 10:27

Panzer wrote:I still refuse to get into ITC games...I still remember back when i was still playing WHFB my mindset changed so much that it was pretty much impossible for me to play really casual games anymore. :D

Panzer - I have found that I also have a very hard time playing anything else or less casual. In the escalation league I am in have had to be reminded by some very casual friends of mine to slow down, settle down, and that the game is just a game.

Once that opening hand shake clicks, I get into tournament mode naturally I really didn't realize it till I played several casual games with very Anti tournament players.

Agentarrow wrote:
Demorte wrote:Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot I had promised that.

Your Welcome Arrow :D

I had to go back a bit on my tetras! Not far back at all just adding one more layer of the blue over the other blends. Took 2 mins to fix easy.

I just gotta varnish and then apply the other colors again.

They both looked off but wasn't sure why till I took out my other models again. They where left overs from me testing a different process on my broadside. Want Bright blue :)

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#90 » Dec 22 2016 11:58

Went for a drive to twin Cities this morning for holiday. 7 days here with the in laws, great friends and got to see two new stores I had not visited yet.

At the last ITC GT I attended I won 50 bucks in gift cards for that some so I finally was able to use the gift cards today.

One cool thing about this store is it had a lot of used merch, a lot of it!

So I did some digging in the tau bins, " Scrap Yards " and found some decent salvage. :)

The reason most stores won't take used stuff is cause it sits, a lot of times used stuff is very rough, very thickly painted etc. When I starated digging I notice man items had a good amount of dust on it. This told me no one had been interested in a long time...

I did an initial pick of the bins and then started on quality vs desire on the model. When picking through used stuff you need to really seriously look passed the retail value and look at the quality. Average 40k models go for 60% retail thats - assembled with or without prime

NOS can go for 70%

Anything higher the models have to be well painted, Magnetized etc... or the buyer has to like them enough to pay that amount.

I am pretty strict on quality as a commission painter and someone that does conversions. I like a fair deal for both parties.

Am glad to say I spent only $20.00 bucks of my money.

Is a great haul of different models, ones they I may not of gotten if at full retail and with 100% my own cash at this stage of my skill level and goal for the army.

But since it's with essentially not my money, in the sense of my not having done anything to get it. " I won the gift cards in a raffle just for being present "

Am okay with getting some less then stellar models for dirt dirt cheap.

Total models

20 kroot - primed good quality with 3 nicely painted. Also some bits.
16 drones - good quality pick up marker drones, a shield drone, two Missle drones fromantic ripetides kit, and then a bunch of other specialty drones I need to identify. A few of them I know I have the parts for at home but never found need to build them with my stuff. So is cool to have a few of them to add to the army without using my NOS/NIB stuff.
6 stealth suits - I wish I had grabbed 3 more then I would have 4 squads. I have one unit unbuilt that I will try to do some conversions.
1 pirhana - perfect condition this piece alone in its condition easily worth $20.00 bucks maybe even $25.00. Got it dirt dirt cheap.
1 - Devilfish - also in great condition if you not interested in conversions then it's perfect and ready to paint. I plan to do a lot of conversion with tau tanks so it's a okay pick up. Easily $20.00 bucks though too.
1 - Hammer head - very similar stance to the Devilfish. Easily $25.00
9 bleachers - they are in good condition cleaned up nicely and unprimed easily $20.00

4 devilfish/hammerhead tank chassis and various parts. These are very very rough shape horrible shape. Heavily painted, glued, missing a lot of parts. Might be able to strip the paint and get 1 good vehicle put of the parts. a lot of these will be used for terrain, basing materials or to practice some conversion cuts before doing it on on retail NIB ones I get. I hold no value to them cash wise they are trash. Stripping the paint off them will increase the value. Time will tell if they can be salvaged. I got them for free too cause they been at bottom of the bins for 2 years at least guy said.

Overall very good haul. Am not in a rush to paint all this back log troops. Still sticking with my original layout.

I brought all my NOS and NIB kits with me with hobby tools and baggies. I plan to clean up the parts for all 3 riptides, a broadside, ghostkeel and Devilfish and have them put in marked bags for later. This way I can already have the mold lines removed when I get home.

Will have 4 days off where my wife is pretty much working whole time. So a lot of relaxation time to just work on finishing stuff and starting new conversions. Have a list of some ideas I found online and others that have come from inspiration during a given day.

So it will be fun.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#91 » Dec 23 2016 01:27

Man quite a haul and amazing amount of work completed. Been buried under end of year projects.

The helmets on the Gue'vesa of mine is an acquired taste haha - mainly to blend in with the Tau helm :)

I have a hammered hamerhead that is destined to be an objective terrain peice like the crushed Rhino by forgeworld.

What is technique for going ahead on stripping large models?

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#92 » Dec 23 2016 08:02

Tael wrote:Man quite a haul and amazing amount of work completed. Been buried under end of year projects.

The helmets on the Gue'vesa of mine is an acquired taste haha - mainly to blend in with the Tau helm :)

I have a hammered hamerhead that is destined to be an objective terrain peice like the crushed Rhino by forgeworld.

What is technique for going ahead on stripping large models?

Thank you :)

That makes sense on the helmets, they kinda goofy but cool :D

Nice! I hope to see how that develops Teal! Love terrain

Yes, this is a post from my 40k blog - How to Strip minatures its my step by step product for product process.
http://immateriumpainting.blogspot.com/ ... t-off.html

Is everything you should need to know about exactly how I strip models down.

Got up early this morning 5:30am started cleaning parts.
Make shift hobby table 6 hours away from home at my in laws.

:P

Love this hobby!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#93 » Dec 24 2016 01:26

Toured Mall Of America for a good chunk of day and had a lot of Hobby time.

I rise early and don't tend to nap during the day. Whole family napped after the mall for 3 hours.

I took advantage of that time and got every model i brought with's parts cleaned and off the sprue.

Quite happy with the result.

I then started on another Broadside, doing some of my battle damage techniques that I use on marines. Have gotten to a much more comfortable position with the Tau. Am very comfortable taking the hobby knife and drill to them. :Do

Now things get fun!

Have a few different battle damage results going on from small niks, AP rounds, and explosive marks.

I have some great damage holes on the model too, will see how this guy turns out. I have some ideas for other broads sides with half a arm missing or busted legs in mind too. Will see how that goes.

Next will be to put the commanders together or ghostkeel.

The broadside is fully able to be disassembled. Into 11 parts to make painting with airbrush easy.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#94 » Dec 24 2016 05:57

NIce man, I have a preference visually for the all missile Broadside, not a fan of the underslung railgun - still an original shoulder mounted kinda guy :D

Also, Away-Hobby gear is always fun trading ideas. Mine is a Macbook plastic insert, the spacings and impressions are perfect for a paint tray, water glass and pots tray. It is amazing how well it suits a completely unexpected purpose beyond making my Mac look pretty when I received it hah.

In general I use these bit tray boxes - Here..

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#95 » Dec 24 2016 07:09

Those are pretty sweet, bits boxes look very compact :)

That sounds and looks like a great setup teal :D

I may do a few other broadside conversions as different Broadside varients. My force will likely use a variety of prototype models giving me a excuse to do some different things.

Got to work on the ghostkeel I was planning to start next years.

Image[/URL]

This is the Stance I will be doing for my ghostkeel. Maybe abit different then the one below but very close.

Got all the parts magnitized, am planning to do the stance similar to the Titan fall poster. I have LEDS coming as well, I plan to do the full cockpit and go have a glowing light inside. I likely will have a pilot on inside and a tech on the outside.

Lights are from http://poweredplay.net

These guys sponsored my tournament and have agreed to again for my GT. So figured would get two small vehicle kits and LED my ghost keels. Gonna start small and then work my way up to other effects.
Last edited by Demorte on Dec 27 2016 05:00, edited 1 time in total.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#96 » Dec 25 2016 10:36

Hoping all the LEDS will arrived before I get home on Wednesday. I will have Wednesday evening, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday off work once am back from family vacation.

My mornings haven't changed still rise early so am getting a lot of progress done on some stuff.

I got several 40k models and new Winsor and Newton series 7 brushes for Christmas eve. One of the models was a Pirhana NIB.

I got a half built one, Thursday from used models game store. I decided to practice one of my conversion ideas on this one, before I used the NIB one. Am gonna run a list with 20 pirhanas is two firestorm wings.

So need to build 19 more all conversions.

Here is the concept!

The cuts are not as even as I would like, I really needed my whole hobby desk and my dremel. The overall concept is very solid and looks exactly like I want it too. Cutting the wings is the hardest part, the rest of the steps that annoyed me are one I won't face doing it from a NIB kit.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#97 » Dec 25 2016 08:51

I am snowed in for the night, is a huge blizzard going over North Central states in the Midwest. This means no Christmas party and lots of Hobby time.

That being said I did some work on solving at small problem.

The jet packs for 3d prints, designed by Agent Arrow due to the printing process comes with a hole circle on one side. I think I have found one possible solution.

I got word from my sister watching my house, that a package came inside all my ripetide parts are within. :D will very soon have 3 Tsunami Riptides.

I then did some final clean up on my Gue'Vesa

After that I have pretty much worked on all the set projects I brought with me. The Pirhana was something I didn't have with me when I headed on vacation but I had a design in mind for one. All this free time allowed me to complete that too.

Now with the storm am undertaking something else on my " future log "

The XV819-C "Riot" suit

It has been one of my other inspirations for a Crisis suit as pioneered by LEW_b81 for a long time.

Found his work 6 or 8 months ago not really sure, it was before I started the Tau force and joined ATT.

I typically like to get permission from conversion artists before I incorporate there design into my armies. Attempts have been made with dead ends, by faith he's a ATT member and will chime in later.

Either way as is custom i credit the original designer out of respect for their work.

Pictures are of my model, as is slowly copy the process from pictures.

Fluff of the suit is also produced by the original designer.

Part 1
The Riot suit is used for suppression of local populaces on planets that have accepted the Greater Good. There is usually a transition period where uprisings happen and protests need to be quelled. That's when the Riot suit comes into play. Taller than a regular Crisis suit, it's designed for maximum visual impact on rioters. The suit is designed for dropping from altitude right into hot spots. It also includes several additional systems, although at the limit of jetpack manoeuvrability (which in tightly packed streets, it doesn't actually need). There is an advanced targeting system, which allows the pilot to focus on the highest threats, also including advanced facial recognition to help to process criminals. There is an audio system which serves two purposes: to instruct and enforce the law, but also to use amplified sound waves to disable crowds. With one pinpoint blast of intense noise, a small group of rioters can be forced to their knees. The suit also features heavier front armour than a regular Crisis suit, with a lightweight shield generator that essentially works as a riot shield, destroying any home made projectiles thrown at the suit. Lastly it incorporates a photon flash suppressor to further incapacitate any lawbreakers that try to assault the Crisis suit.
This close ranged suppression equipment fits perfectly with a battlefield role. This suit has been refitted with two Fusion Blasters instead of the more traditional water cannon in order to become a threat to hostile enemy forces. The Fusion Monat suit is seen as a suicidal unit by Tau forces, and is only deployed when strictly necessary. The high amount of return fire has lead to this refit being particularly suited to this role. A high cost shield generator and heavy ablative armour shielding has been proven to be an ineffective use of resources, leading to the cheaper "Riot" suit being favoured instead. Upon landing the suit will focus on high priority targets such as heavy vehicles or emplacements that are stopping the rest of the Tau force from advancing. When its primary targets are taken care of, the secondary systems help it to hold out against the inevitable counter-attack from enemy forces, hopefully buying enough time before reinforcements have arrived.

Designed by Lew_b81

I utilized the original torso of the suit, the took parts from the burst cannon, and a Missle pods casing for the front plates to give it a heavier plating.

I cut in to the back side to mount a jet pack, am gonna take a space marine jump pack when I get home. Will add a jump pack booster on either side.

Lots of updates and multiple projects going on mates. Keep in on posting and sharing my friends.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#98 » Dec 27 2016 12:09

Played a fun narrative game today. Had a Minor victory with the Tau :)

KROOT KILLALOT

Scenario

Primary - Relic " immobile " essentially is a single objective have to be within 3 inches.
2ndary - Kroot Killed points

Sub objectives - Slay Warlord, solo blood and big game hunter

Board: hammer and anvil

Space marines vs Tau 1250 points

Tactical choice must be made based off what models can see and knowledge gained from friendly models.

Deployment is 1 warlord and 2 troop choices

Other units are put in outflank or deepstrike reserves starting turn 2.

Narrative Dialogue.

On the forrest planet of Fou'rin a lone beacon from a observation probe has become reactivated by the local inhabitants. This prode having been sent to scan the world for possible habitation for the Imperium long ago. It's signal reaching both Space Marine and Tau forces has sparked a reason. Patrols sent out from both factions with the objective of securing the probe for its data on a planet populated by Kroot tribes with no loyalty to all Tau'va. These Kroot having made the probe a idol accidently activated the probe as the moved it to their place of worship.

Upon landing the patrols becoming under attack by the local Kroot. Reinforcements are requested as the combat continues both force realize they not only engaged with the inhabitants but a more familiar foe as well.

8 units of Kroot in groups of three are spread through out the board with Stealth and Shrouded rules. The Kroot hade full turns after each player turn. If a unit of Kroot is killed they come back in outflanking reserves on their following turn. Each player alternates taking control of the Kroot leading into their oppents turn.

Kroot will engage closest unit and make Tactical decisions based on destroying that unit.

Both players count each Kroot killed during the match. Who ever kills the most Kroot win 2ndary objective.

Primarily is worth 6 points
2ndary is worth 6 points
Sub objectives worth 1 point each.

Results 8-6 won on sub objectives.

The Board

The objective with wild kroot

The force

Had a good haul for Christmas. I got some good stuff to continue the hobby.

Have a family Christmas party tomorrow will see if I get a random card or something.

Return to “Project Logs”