Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Demorte
Gue'La

Re: Demorte's Tau Cadre - Project Log

Post#81 » Dec 18 2016 07:03

Doing some more work!

Just putting some base colors on the tetra very thin, have several more layers to do before I get to the main color.

Also doing some more work on all the drone bases. I am a big advacate of fully basing your armies including drones, jet bikes etc..

Drones are hovering over the same terrain as the rest of our army units.

Bases are amazing aspect of your models and honestly your base can make or break your model on the cool factor in my book. Bases tell a story about what is happening in your army theme.

The story I am telling in my army is of a force in the middle of a battle against space marines " Dark Templars "on a old battlefield where Imperium forces have fought before against the Tau Empire. The field is littered with rusted junk and debris from this old battles. While a whole new battle is taking place on top of it all. It's a wasteland, of junk, mud, death, with little life left remaining.

My tau are pretty weathered, some of my next pieces will have some more weathering done on them as I get abit more bold with my hobby knife. I now have a better grasp of how tau kits go together so I am not as hestitant to beat them up.

:Do

Always consider what your putting your units on base wise. If you army is all beat up, they shouldn't be on a clean perfect grass bsse.

I do a lot of prep planning about my bases before I build my models.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#82 » Dec 19 2016 10:25

Finishing up all the drone bases, I love doing bases and terrain so ended up going much further then I planned in today's session.

Just gotta touch up some skulls, and other debris then apply tuff and they will be done. :)

Here they are looking good.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#83 » Dec 20 2016 08:37

Got them done!

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#84 » Dec 21 2016 05:55

42nd made it on to the battlefield again this time a legit arena for war. 1850 itc competition list vs competition list very blood game.

Nids vs Tau

Did not get nearly as many pictures as I wanted, turn 2 nids deep strikedown in pods..interceptor proved a lot more fun as the shooter then as a marine taking the shot in the face.

Won primary and maelstroms by 1 point each.

Decisive Victory.

War record is 3-1 currently however first 3 games are 500pt casual.

I likely not will make a fancy battle tracker list on my opening thread to keep count.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#85 » Dec 22 2016 01:34

I should start getting into ITC games. I want to start playing in friendly tournaments in 2018. Right now I'm too slow and methodical in my play to finish an 1850 game in under 3-4 hours. That doesn't make for an enjoyable tournament.

Looks like it was a bit of a bloodbath. I haven't fought Tyranids since 5th edition, are they good in 7th?

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#86 » Dec 22 2016 08:09

ITC is our house rules, so we play every game at full GT or major event level almost. Very fasted paced and a lot of difficult lists.

Nids are a tough match up if the person playing them has the right models and knows what they doing on the board. My opponent has every FW model and 20k worth of nids. Can play everything so I know when facing him we are gonna get some tough match ups.

Nid are not really winning tournaments in the GT and Major event level so they not currently a top tier army in the meta.

I highly recommend learning some ITC style match ups, they are very fun and open a wide range of events. Can be very competitive but enjoyable if your into that, is a lot of fun when you and your opponent can play at that level makes for a really great games. :D

Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#87 » Dec 22 2016 09:00

I still refuse to get into ITC games...I still remember back when i was still playing WHFB my mindset changed so much that it was pretty much impossible for me to play really casual games anymore. :D

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#88 » Dec 22 2016 10:12

Demorte wrote:Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot I had promised that.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#89 » Dec 22 2016 10:27

Panzer wrote:I still refuse to get into ITC games...I still remember back when i was still playing WHFB my mindset changed so much that it was pretty much impossible for me to play really casual games anymore. :D

Panzer - I have found that I also have a very hard time playing anything else or less casual. In the escalation league I am in have had to be reminded by some very casual friends of mine to slow down, settle down, and that the game is just a game.

Once that opening hand shake clicks, I get into tournament mode naturally I really didn't realize it till I played several casual games with very Anti tournament players.

Agentarrow wrote:
Demorte wrote:Any head way on the sketch proposal you had for me Arrow?

Thanks for reminding me. I completely forgot I had promised that.

Your Welcome Arrow :D

I had to go back a bit on my tetras! Not far back at all just adding one more layer of the blue over the other blends. Took 2 mins to fix easy.

I just gotta varnish and then apply the other colors again.

They both looked off but wasn't sure why till I took out my other models again. They where left overs from me testing a different process on my broadside. Want Bright blue :)

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#90 » Dec 22 2016 11:58

Went for a drive to twin Cities this morning for holiday. 7 days here with the in laws, great friends and got to see two new stores I had not visited yet.

At the last ITC GT I attended I won 50 bucks in gift cards for that some so I finally was able to use the gift cards today.

One cool thing about this store is it had a lot of used merch, a lot of it!

So I did some digging in the tau bins, " Scrap Yards " and found some decent salvage. :)

The reason most stores won't take used stuff is cause it sits, a lot of times used stuff is very rough, very thickly painted etc. When I starated digging I notice man items had a good amount of dust on it. This told me no one had been interested in a long time...

I did an initial pick of the bins and then started on quality vs desire on the model. When picking through used stuff you need to really seriously look passed the retail value and look at the quality. Average 40k models go for 60% retail thats - assembled with or without prime

NOS can go for 70%

Anything higher the models have to be well painted, Magnetized etc... or the buyer has to like them enough to pay that amount.

I am pretty strict on quality as a commission painter and someone that does conversions. I like a fair deal for both parties.

Am glad to say I spent only $20.00 bucks of my money.

Is a great haul of different models, ones they I may not of gotten if at full retail and with 100% my own cash at this stage of my skill level and goal for the army.

But since it's with essentially not my money, in the sense of my not having done anything to get it. " I won the gift cards in a raffle just for being present "

Am okay with getting some less then stellar models for dirt dirt cheap.

Total models

20 kroot - primed good quality with 3 nicely painted. Also some bits.
16 drones - good quality pick up marker drones, a shield drone, two Missle drones fromantic ripetides kit, and then a bunch of other specialty drones I need to identify. A few of them I know I have the parts for at home but never found need to build them with my stuff. So is cool to have a few of them to add to the army without using my NOS/NIB stuff.
6 stealth suits - I wish I had grabbed 3 more then I would have 4 squads. I have one unit unbuilt that I will try to do some conversions.
1 pirhana - perfect condition this piece alone in its condition easily worth $20.00 bucks maybe even $25.00. Got it dirt dirt cheap.
1 - Devilfish - also in great condition if you not interested in conversions then it's perfect and ready to paint. I plan to do a lot of conversion with tau tanks so it's a okay pick up. Easily $20.00 bucks though too.
1 - Hammer head - very similar stance to the Devilfish. Easily $25.00
9 bleachers - they are in good condition cleaned up nicely and unprimed easily $20.00

4 devilfish/hammerhead tank chassis and various parts. These are very very rough shape horrible shape. Heavily painted, glued, missing a lot of parts. Might be able to strip the paint and get 1 good vehicle put of the parts. a lot of these will be used for terrain, basing materials or to practice some conversion cuts before doing it on on retail NIB ones I get. I hold no value to them cash wise they are trash. Stripping the paint off them will increase the value. Time will tell if they can be salvaged. I got them for free too cause they been at bottom of the bins for 2 years at least guy said.

Overall very good haul. Am not in a rush to paint all this back log troops. Still sticking with my original layout.

I brought all my NOS and NIB kits with me with hobby tools and baggies. I plan to clean up the parts for all 3 riptides, a broadside, ghostkeel and Devilfish and have them put in marked bags for later. This way I can already have the mold lines removed when I get home.

Will have 4 days off where my wife is pretty much working whole time. So a lot of relaxation time to just work on finishing stuff and starting new conversions. Have a list of some ideas I found online and others that have come from inspiration during a given day.

So it will be fun.

Return to “Project Logs”