Sol'ai Pioneers: Project Log and Additional Fluff

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Sol'ai Pioneers: Project Log and Additional Fluff

Post#1 » Oct 10 2016 02:35

Hey everyone.

Now that the contest is over, I wanted to take the time to expand on the So'lai Pioneers that I submitted.

The Sol'ai Rift is, in my interpretation, is the name for the 'Perdus Rift' described in the Tau Codex map. As I understand it it is a vast frontier, bordering multiple Sept territories from Dal'yth to Vash'ya. This region would be plagued by everything from pirates, both Imperial and Chaos, Eldritch raiders and potentially even elements of the Tyranids from two centuries ago.

As described in my dataslate, these fringe colonies would have limited resources and fewer military units, all the more so with half of the Fire Caste now on the other side of the Damocles Gulf. Such 'Pioneers' would need to rely entirely on themselves for long periods of time, a decidedly unconventional formation for a race that approaches every situation with communality and interdependency.

My 'hero' unit of Pioneers serves in my Frontier Coalition army and is a combination of Tau from several Septs working in concert with the Shas'Ar'Tol in order to strengthen the border (I was inspired by the movie 7 Samurai).

Partisan Force 0-7

Partisan Force 0-7 operates along the Tash'var border as a completely self sufficient force acting in both support roles but also as shock troops. Astride Yo'shi mounts (lit: one who is righteous) these bipedal saurians are a genetic offshoot of an omnivorous steed that Tau of antiquity rode on the savannas of their homeworld.

Shas'Vre Tash'Var U'rok

Tash'var is a unique Sept in that its Sept Prime world is still largely uninhabited. This has bred survivalists of the highest ability and Shas'Vre U'rok is no exception. Formerly an XV-22 squadron leader, U'rok was wounded fighting the Orks in the Western Quarantine Zone. During his rehabilitation the prefecture where his convalescence home was situated in came under attack by Eldritch raiders, attacks that have multiplied since Shadowsun's advances into the Imperium. With an ad-hoc unit of Firewarriors made up of security squads and Firewarrior walking wounded, he lead a masterful defense of the facilities, bottle-necking the pirates at the entrances while leading civilians into the inner grounds until Tash'var cadres could arrive.

After this, U'rok assembled the Partisan Force 0-7 with the express purpose of strengthening defenses in regions like Tash'var that do not have the necessary numbers to secure the border.

Shas'Saz'Nami'La Bork'an Ais'chel Nuo'ko

'Wounded Hand' as he is known, is the sole survivor of the bodyguard team attached to Aun'Jaath who was assassinated on Bork'an when an Imperial kill force attacked that Sept. Deeply scarred by this event, Nuo'ko dedicated himself to a life of study to find and calm his troubled soul, living in the equatorial jungles of Bork'an as a hermit until he was recruited by U'rok.

He carries Aun'Jaath's honor blade into combat wrapped with dyed purple cloth in mourning for his fallen master. He inspires the members of 0-7 both his understanding of Sio't meditations and reminding the Firewarriors that, despite serving alone in the wilds of a hostile galaxy, they are never alone and are a part of the Greater Good.

Shas'La Tash'var Saa'ri

Saa'ri is a young Tash'vari warrior that held the rank of 'Saal when U'rok lead her and the students of the prefecture in its defense. Deemed as having passed her trials and raised to the 'La rank, she has been by U'rok's side ever since serving as his protege.

(I'll finish the other four later)
~Good Hunting

El ZorDacK
Shas'Saal

Re: Sol'ai Pioneers: Project Log and Additional Fluff

Post#2 » Oct 10 2016 07:21

So Yoshi... :P , on 6 they eat the enemy!, really put a smile on my face!

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Oct 10 2016 10:54

I love this project! I have decided to make a squad of my own to add to my blog campaign. Keep up the great work man!

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Oct 10 2016 11:18

So Yoshi... :P , on 6 they eat the enemy!, really put a smile on my face!

When I saw all these dinosaur models in the bitz drawer I couldn't help myself (I almost wanted to do them every color of the rainbow, but that's not very grimdark :::( ) The name was pretty fun to come up with. Yoshi literally means 'righteous' so I broke it down with Tauman's expanded xenolexicon.

Y: one
O: often seems to emphasize a sense of grandness or nobility
Shi: victory, courageous ect.

"Yo'shi" ; boom!

I love this project! I have decided to make a squad of my own to add to my blog campaign. Keep up the great work man!

Thanks Chris13f! It was so much fun, being a part of a community like this really compels you to finish a project. It's an honor to have gotten so many considerations and I can't wait to find something new to convert, paint, and develop with the help of the Orbital.
~Good Hunting

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Oct 10 2016 07:28

Shas'La Tash'revan Ra'kak

Shas'La Ra'kak is a native of the world Tash'revan, a mountainous world several jumps from Tash'var Prime. Inducted early for Pathfinder training, for three standard-cycles she was the only line of defense for an Earth Caste facility routinely hounded by non-sentient predator beasts. Armed with only a, then, experimental rail-rifle and her knowledge of the terrain was she able to secure the surrounding hills and allow the Fio to accomplish their research. U'rok offered her a position in his team and she accepted.

Shas'Saal Tash'var Ma'funi

[IMG=http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1076/vNx0q9zg.jpeg]

Perhaps the most unusual member of 0-7, Shas'Saal Ma'funi is an orphan of the colony El'ex, a fringe world lost to an unknown attacker. Ma'funi was found by a deep recon Cadre three cycles after the colony was destroyed*. There they found Ma'funi, the colonies lone survivor, gone almost feral. He would spend another five cycles before he became of age when U'rok discovered him and, seeing Ma'funi's survivalist talents despite his inability to grasp any kind of formal training, had him transferred to his care.

*While the Plexus of Messenger ships and trade routes ensure contact between the Three Hundred Worlds, since Commander Shadowsun's launch of the Third Sphere, there are simply not enough vessels left in the First and Second Spheres to maintain communication on a regular basis. As such, many fringe colonies go cycles without contact.
Last edited by Calmsword on Oct 11 2016 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
~Good Hunting

Dal'yth Shas'len'ra
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Oct 10 2016 08:45

I really like these models, Can I ask where you got the models for the mounts? I actually have some Raptor dinosaur models that I've been intending to paint and use as Kroot hounds, I think it would look very cool if I had a unit of Sol'ai to go with them.

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Oct 11 2016 07:59

Still a WiP. here is my Vior'la Sol'ai pioneers attached to an expeditionary force from Yaisdra IX

Macknight
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Oct 11 2016 09:12

That's a lot of wonderful fluff, not to mention inspired followers. Yoshi is a great name too!
For the greater good!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#9 » Oct 11 2016 09:47

Excellent work. The thoughtfulness in every aspect is amazing. Every model has its own story. A valiant addition to our community for sure.
The inspired work of chris13f is fantastic too. Looking very nice.

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Oct 11 2016 10:37

I'm curious to know why you put a single kroot in with the rest of the squad?
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Oct 12 2016 06:17

That's a lot of wonderful fluff, not to mention inspired followers. Yoshi is a great name too!

Thank you Macknight, I really fell in love with these guys to such an extent that I'm making an entire Frontier army.

Chris13f: Way to take an idea and run with it! I love the paint job and your breed of mount is decidedly more vicious than the humble Yo'shi. I might have to go back and add some more saddle/stirrups/reins, really excellent work.

as to the Kroot: I was at the zero hour with painting (originally I had wanted to make a Vespid queen as my entry when I found the Yo'shi dinosaur models) so I didn't have time to fully integrate the rules.

I wrote a story a long time ago about a branch of Kroot that had rejected the return to the 'old' ways that Anghor Prok had his people adopt.

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18481&start=200

They're called Past Walkers and while some of them are unified under a single 'Master' there are others that work as mercenaries, typically outside of the Empire's jurisdiction. The Kroot homeworld Pech has ancient, now abandoned, cities described as 'Hives' and their Warspheres are indicative of an advanced level of technology. The Kroot I used is one such Past Walker who has allied himself with U'rok, hence why most of his body has been replaced with augmetics. The Past Walkers are not cannibals but, instead, use technology to improve themselves.

I think I went on a tangent though:

The idea behind having a mixed unit is to provide the So'lai Pioneers with a mix of rules, much like the Deathwatch Team, but also to add the flavor that they utilize unconventional tactics. Had I left more time for the rules I would have added that the Pioneers can take one Auxilery.

The rules would have been something like this:

Jikita (Kroot): Acute Senses and Fieldcraft.
Mal'caor (Vespid): Fear (the sound of the wings i said to be extremely unsettling)
Gue'vesa (Human): Hate (Imperial Factions), additional Yo'shi rider.

Someone noted that the Kroot would slow the unit down- the same can be said for the bikes you can attach to Deathwatch teams- it's a flavor thing.

Second Claw Zagakat

It is known by the Council of the Highest and a select number of Commanders that the Jikita, the most ardent allies of the Empire, have Kindreds within their population that sometimes reject the edicts of the agreements that tie both cultures together and instead ply the Galaxy in search of fresh genetic material which they return to Pech to be assimilated back into the gene pool. The 'Past Walkers' are the most extreme example of these factions and are considered a terrorist organization by the Shas'Ar'Tol after the disastrous engagement on the jungle planet Seko.

Zagakat, Second Claw, was a member of a team of Past Walkers that U'rok engaged against on M'nlo while hunting a Genestealer that had slipped past the defense grid on the border. A fierce firefight broke out almost immediately, when the Genestealer made its presence known, both factions worked together to kill it. U'rok and M'nlo were the only survivors and while it is unknown what was discussed afterward, the Past Walker has been at the Shas'Ui's side ever since.
~Good Hunting

chris13f
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Oct 12 2016 06:25

Thanks man! I was wondering about the kroot too, great fluff. I was toying with a kroot rider on a krootox so he can keep up with he other riders but I didn't want to ruin your unit so I'm gonna stick with a foot kroot.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Oct 12 2016 07:49

Congratulations on winning the 2016 Challenge competition! :)

Knew it was you, since who else would include a story in his entry, and besides your painting style is so distinctive that I knew it hzd to be you. This is almost a Kill Team unit? So what's the next step? Keep them small or are you planning to expand them out to entire troop of mounted tau cavalry?
Which reminds me, I thought the Kroot Zagakat was the unit's native scout Image and the Sol'ai Pioneers were a troop of U.S. Cavalry. Image

Forward Ho!
TauMan

PS Don't ask me to sing "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" for any of you, 'cuz I wont!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Oct 12 2016 08:52

Tauman: Yes, the idea of adding a Kroot would be an auxiliary scout. The only issue with keeping the Kroot a 'native' is that I want them to move from planet to planet (a none contiguous frontier) so a grizzled exiled Kroot was the way I went.

They are very much a Kill Team- which means I'll have to think something up if we go that route for the next contest (itchy fingers).

Chris13f: If I were to really jump into the nitty gritty, I'd allow the Kroot to have a Heavy 1 'targeter' that would allow the Tau unit to have rerolls or +1 BS, something like that. If the unit moves, the Kroot would be able to have a rerollable 'fleet' due to his augmetic legs but wouldn't be able to use the 'targeter'. Ect.

But that's too neck beard- maybe in a RPG game but not tabletop otherwise it just gets bogged down. So Acute Senses and Fieldcraft streamlines it.
~Good Hunting

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#15 » Oct 12 2016 11:03

Is that one of the Wargame Exclusive pulse rifles on that Kroot? I've been thinking about ordering some conversion bits from them. How is the model quality?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Oct 13 2016 03:27

Yes it is! I have to say that while the price is a little prohibitive, the models Wargame Exclusive produces from the level of detail to the material is incredible. While I'm hoping that one day Tau will get the variety of ammunition and weapon selections other factions like the Space Marines get- these pieces really 'pop', making a model distinct.

I can't recommend them enough.
~Good Hunting

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Oct 14 2016 02:45

Agentarrow wrote:Is that one of the Wargame Exclusive pulse rifles on that Kroot? I've been thinking about ordering some conversion bits from them. How is the model quality?

I hadn't noticed that! It just works so well with the techno-Kroot look! How did you make the augmetic legs? I would really like to add some of those to a forthcoming kindred.

Ironsky

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Oct 14 2016 07:36

The legs were a lucky find- old models from Numera line I think. I've been hunting for robot bodies lately in order to do a full unit of Past Walker Mercenaries and I think I've found them- as soon as they arrive in the mail I'll post pictures.
~Good Hunting

Return to “Project Logs”