15th Vior'lan Primary Encounter Force

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Hastyr
Shas'Saal

15th Vior'lan Primary Encounter Force

Post#1 » Dec 15 2016 09:51

Hi all,

Thought I'd stop lurking and start a project log for the usual reason of motivating myself to get through all this painting.

I played 40K and WFB a lot when I was in my teens but rarely got anything fully painted, I was much more interested in the gaming and modelling aspects.
When I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I was determined to finish(!) at least one army thanks to the inspiration I got from this site. Nothing fancy, just tabletop standard and sort-of-look-ok-from-afar to begin with.
As it stands I have about a third of my army completed so I will post up once I have more pictures. I will also include any cool action shots against my usual opponents, Astra Militarum and Imperial Fists. :fear:

I use Army Painter Skeleton Bone or Vallejo Bonewhite for the base colour; Vallejo Cold Grey, Gory Red and Bright Bronze on the details, and followed by a coat of Quickshade Soft Tone. The result looks alright given my basic skills; C&C welcome as I hope to improve over the process.

My colour scheme was influenced by the amazing Riptide art in the codex entry, so I thought I'd start you all off with mine.

Image Image Image

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Re: 15th Vior'lan Primary Encounter Force

Post#2 » Dec 15 2016 10:32

Hastyr!

Welcome to the project logs mate!

Glad to see you setting yourself up to motivate for success on your cadres. 15th Vior'lan great name :)

I got some C&C for you nothing super fancy just some pretty easy additions to your scheme that I believe could make it pop a bit more based off your current approach to the model scheme.

The Vallejo Cold Grey, Gory Red and Bright Bronze on the details. Keep doing this really helps add debt to the scheme, on your bright Bronze. Consider using a aegras earth shade gloss over it, unless you want the dulled down look. I would also use the bright bronze on a few more details. You have some great opportunities for some of the leg henge bolts, and some spots on your jet packs to add this color to the model.

There is a small circle on your Shield and the ripe tide chest emblem. You have both emblems full bright bronze which is great. You can take it a a bit further with a lens affect. I think you should paint the small circle in the bright bronze emblem a dark red, then add abit of a lighter red and then apply vallejo gloss varnish to make the lens shine abit. I really think it will add some cool contrast.

There is a little rounded circle on the crotch of the riptide between the legs. That is technically a lens as well, from what I can tell a lot of tau models have multiple lens on the suits. Likely for added display purposes for the pilot.

You could also do that on the 3 small circles on your riptides shield too but I really think those would be best left alone unless you can do a light glow affect on them in blue. I would add some blue to your ion cannon to to give it some cool contrast.

I love the riptide scheme is great tabletop quality, very solid scheme with great application of the paints. I really look forward to seeing some of your other tau models. What other model you working on? ;)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#3 » Dec 15 2016 12:57

I really like the variation in the bone color on the model. Is that all from the quickshade? Because that gives beautiful subtle tones all over.

Aside from Demorte's suggestions, I can only add a little bit:
On your bronze parts it looks like you're having trouble getting a smooth result. Try layering on a light brown first, then thinning your bronze to the point where you are almost painting on water (or acrylic thinnner if you have it, it works leaps and bounds better than water for metallics) and do a few light coats. Then, once done go back and trace the lines in the Tau symbol, or the center of the "screw head" pieces with a wash. The wash will want to seep into the cracks rather than pool on the surface and will give the contrast you desire. You can go back and touch up the bronze if needed after.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Dec 15 2016 02:23

Agentarrow wrote:I really like the variation in the bone color on the model. Is that all from the quickshade? Because that gives beautiful subtle tones all over.

Aside from Demorte's suggestions, I can only add a little bit:
On your bronze parts it looks like you're having trouble getting a smooth result. Try layering on a light brown first, then thinning your bronze to the point where you are almost painting on water (or acrylic thinnner if you have it, it works leaps and bounds better than water for metallics) and do a few light coats. Then, once done go back and trace the lines in the Tau symbol, or the center of the "screw head" pieces with a wash. The wash will want to seep into the cracks rather than pool on the surface and will give the contrast you desire. You can go back and touch up the bronze if needed after.

Pretty much what AA said. Your model looks great (especially the shading on the white) with the exception of the bronzing, but AA's advice is spot on.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#5 » Dec 15 2016 03:06

Which means my suggestion is double stamped by AA and Ell RIGHT!? :P
The official seal of approval ;)
>>--AA-->

You used big words, but if AA approves it then I do as well. Alright, going back to the Upper Concourse now where I know what's going on. :fear: -L'R

Tanno
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Dec 15 2016 05:30

Yea I use the log format to keep me motivated :D
good work so far and keep it up :biggrin:

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 15 2016 05:44

Many thanks for the feedback, the pictures sure do accentuate the poor coverage on the bronze and make it look flat.

Demorte: I will get my hands on some Agrax Earthshade Gloss this weekend and give it a try! And you're quite right I have missed some opportunities on the details of the 'tide, I will have to come back to those soon.

Agentarrow: On my battlesuits and vehicles I also add an edge highlight of white, but yes the rest of the range of tone comes from the quickshade. I think I struck-lucky with the effect. Also a basecoat of brown is an excellent tip, thank you.

Ell'ran: Cheers!

Tanno: With this kind of support, I'm sure I will!

I have added some shots of the first of my Hammerheads.
I'm not sure the quickshade technique works quite as well as on the suits due to the large flowing areas, but it does keep them vaguely the same colour.

Image Image Image

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#8 » Dec 15 2016 10:34

Am excited to see how our suggestions play out :)

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#9 » Dec 15 2016 11:18

It looks like the Hammerhead is shinier than the suit. A decent matte varnish should do you wonders. The same suggestion again, just like the blue on the ion weapon, try blue on the Hammerhead engines to really make it pop. It will contrast with the bone/red scheme really well. Try this.

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#10 » Dec 16 2016 10:40

Demorte wrote:Which means my suggestion is double stamped by AA and Ell RIGHT!? :P
The official seal of approval ;)
>>--AA-->

You used big words, but if AA approves it then I do as well. Alright, going back to the Upper Concourse now where I know what's going on. :fear: -L'R

Same suggestion applies to hammerhead :)

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Dec 23 2016 05:59

Just checking in: I have made some progress on my cadre by repainting the bronze on my riptide and commander, and have even attempted some engine glow on my hammerheads, devilfish and piranha.
At the moment I am waiting for a spot of good weather to lay down some anti-shine on everything, and then I can take a few more pictures!

In the meantime here are some dingy-garage shots from my first maelstrom game today against a bunch of salvaged Space Marines. It was also my second time running FSE, with a Dawnblade Contingent consisting of a Retaliation Cadre and Drone Net VX1-0.
I decided not to deep strike so I could make use of my EWOs and so my drones were not just offered up as a first-turn sacrifice; not really used to such a small model count so perhaps a little casualty-averse!
My aim was to split the assault marines, deep striking tac squads and static devastators and remove them piecemeal.
In the end I lost 14-10 VP unfortunately, but learned that while I could put the hurt on whatever needed to be dead (including enemy warlord and first blood) I simply couldn't contest enough objectives with only six scoring units.

I should be better prepared next game, assuming the Shas'ar'tol let me have another go!

Image Image Image

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Dec 27 2016 11:21

I had my first experience with spray-on anti-shine for my hammerheads, pirahna and devilfish today and completely boofed it.
HHs and devilfish's varnish has bubbled off in places; from the looks of it I could have sprayed too close or humidity was too high in the garage. The piranha (test model) looked ok initially but the area around my transfers has since flaked up too.

Will see how it turns out when dry but it's very likely I'll have to strip and repaint them, that'll teach me to be too keen! :::(

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#13 » Dec 27 2016 07:29

Truly sorry to hear that. Which spray were you using? I Find THIS to work very well when thinly applied. It does not take much to get the correct finish.

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Dec 28 2016 06:55

I used The Army Painter's Anti Shine, but to be fair it was due to my misapplication so I think I would have messed up with any aerosol varnish. Just need a bit more practice, or may try out their brush-on version.

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 08 2017 05:37

After the mishap with my hammerheads I dejectedly put in some work on my Dark Eldar force.

By the time I could look at my Tau again some brush-on matte varnish had arrived! I am quite happy with the result on my riptide and commander; I had originally kept the shiny bone armour because it had a sense of otherworldly technology that I liked, but matte style looks a lot better and achieves the same feel. They don't look a great deal different in these pics as the light source may be a little bright, but the difference in person is stark.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

I experimented with GWs Spiritstone Red technical for my commander's lenses but they look weird so I'll probably redo them at some point.
At the moment I am painting up some broadsides whilst finishing a few details on some other units, after that I will be putting anti-shine on all the finished models.

Return to “Project Logs”