15th Vior'lan Primary Encounter Force

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Re: 15th Vior'lan Primary Encounter Force

Post#11 » Dec 23 2016 05:59

Just checking in: I have made some progress on my cadre by repainting the bronze on my riptide and commander, and have even attempted some engine glow on my hammerheads, devilfish and piranha.
At the moment I am waiting for a spot of good weather to lay down some anti-shine on everything, and then I can take a few more pictures!

In the meantime here are some dingy-garage shots from my first maelstrom game today against a bunch of salvaged Space Marines. It was also my second time running FSE, with a Dawnblade Contingent consisting of a Retaliation Cadre and Drone Net VX1-0.
I decided not to deep strike so I could make use of my EWOs and so my drones were not just offered up as a first-turn sacrifice; not really used to such a small model count so perhaps a little casualty-averse!
My aim was to split the assault marines, deep striking tac squads and static devastators and remove them piecemeal.
In the end I lost 14-10 VP unfortunately, but learned that while I could put the hurt on whatever needed to be dead (including enemy warlord and first blood) I simply couldn't contest enough objectives with only six scoring units.

I should be better prepared next game, assuming the Shas'ar'tol let me have another go!

Image Image Image

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Dec 27 2016 11:21

I had my first experience with spray-on anti-shine for my hammerheads, pirahna and devilfish today and completely boofed it.
HHs and devilfish's varnish has bubbled off in places; from the looks of it I could have sprayed too close or humidity was too high in the garage. The piranha (test model) looked ok initially but the area around my transfers has since flaked up too.

Will see how it turns out when dry but it's very likely I'll have to strip and repaint them, that'll teach me to be too keen! :::(

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#13 » Dec 27 2016 07:29

Truly sorry to hear that. Which spray were you using? I Find THIS to work very well when thinly applied. It does not take much to get the correct finish.

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Dec 28 2016 06:55

I used The Army Painter's Anti Shine, but to be fair it was due to my misapplication so I think I would have messed up with any aerosol varnish. Just need a bit more practice, or may try out their brush-on version.

Hastyr
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Jan 08 2017 05:37

After the mishap with my hammerheads I dejectedly put in some work on my Dark Eldar force.

By the time I could look at my Tau again some brush-on matte varnish had arrived! I am quite happy with the result on my riptide and commander; I had originally kept the shiny bone armour because it had a sense of otherworldly technology that I liked, but matte style looks a lot better and achieves the same feel. They don't look a great deal different in these pics as the light source may be a little bright, but the difference in person is stark.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

I experimented with GWs Spiritstone Red technical for my commander's lenses but they look weird so I'll probably redo them at some point.
At the moment I am painting up some broadsides whilst finishing a few details on some other units, after that I will be putting anti-shine on all the finished models.

Return to “Project Logs”