Vior'la log - it'll take a while! (Journey of a thousand miles...)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Rtb01
Shas

Vior'la log - it'll take a while! (Journey of a thousand miles...)

Post#1 » Jan 14 2017 02:29

Good morning all :biggrin:

I'm a guy in my early 30s with a job and 2 small children (2 years and youngest is 4 months) so hobby time is at a premium. I've literally always fancied a tau army and a few years back I started one but sold it on. Having watched Rogue One and seen Duncan's tutorial for the Vior'la Sept I knew this was the time! I'm doing a blog as my wife has nicknamed me "half-a-job". This is one job I'm determined to finish and I need the community support to do so. So where am I now?

I managed to sell my legion glaive plus a couple of bits and got the following:

Targeted Reconnaissance Cadre
Start collecting box
Firewarrior box
Stealth suit box
Stormsurge :eek:

This gives me a small Hunter Cadre, Optimised Stealth Cadre and an Ethereal Hq. I'm by no way a power gamer, I'll just run what I like the look of and see how it goes. As it stands I managed to assemble all of the above in 2 weeks of evenings and all undercoated. The drones are all still to build and undercoat. I'm not magnetising as I don't have time and unlikely to switch loadouts.

Ethereal + honour blade + hover drone

10 Fish Breacher Squad + Shas'ui + Guardian Drone
Devilfish

5 Fish Strike team

5 Fish Strike team

4 fish pathfinder team

4 fish pathfinder team

Commander + drone controller + Iridium suit + airburst + missile pod + stimulant injector

8 marker drones

Crisis team + 3x2 fusion blasters + 2 target locks

Broadside + heavy rail rifle (iconic) + 2 missile drones + drone controller

KV128 Stormsurge + pulse blastcannon cannon + Velocity Tracker + EWO + Shield Generator + Twin Burst Cannon

Ghostkeel + cyclic ion raker + twin burst cannon + stimulant injector + counterfire defense system

3 stealth suits + 2 counterfire defense system + Fusion blaster + target lock

3 stealth suits + 2 counterfire defense system + Fusion blaster + target lock

4 marker drones

4 marker drones

My issue is that when I sprayed my first lot - which was all bar the stormsurge - I was too far away and there was some mottling on some of the infantry. I'm doing a test model to see if I'm happy or they need a restrip. Good start eh?...

I'm also going to try and do one stage at a time on the whole army. Madness maybe but it means I just need one pot and models at a time and I can production line the army.

Fluff? This will be developed and worked on as I want the force to have character. I will name and back story everything. A friend is doing genestealer cult as well so I fear there may be a culty uprising to quell and stop them from stealing plans of our latest weapon ;)

Thank you for your time and I hope you can support me on this journey!

Ironsky
Shas'La

Re: Vior'la log - it'll take a while! (Journey of a thousand miles...)

Post#2 » Jan 14 2017 05:26

Rtb01 wrote:...I'm also going to try and do one stage at a time on the whole army. Madness maybe but it means I just need one pot and models at a time and I can production line the army...

Wow, that's quite a task you have for yourself-good luck! I tend to production line paint in squads, but tend to get bored doing that, so a whole army... Interested to see how this comes along.

Rtb01
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 14 2017 09:30

I've done a test model just to check it as I wasn't sure but next stage is black on all. It may be madness but with no tournaments to motivate it's my best bet!

Need to do the feet here but I don't have the paints nor the cash until the end of the month... unsure about the weathering as well. Otherwise relatively happy. :?

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... slzdx.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... o0nse.jpeg

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... c7jdj.jpeg

Rtb01
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 21 2017 12:47

So...

As it stands I've done the first layer of black on the firewarriors, pathfinders and stealths. Hoping to do the broadside, ghostkeel and crisis suits over the weekend.

I think man flu is impending which could be an issue. As it stands I think I'm making steady progress. No further pics yet as I cant imagine you want pics of a single layer!

Onwards!

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jan 21 2017 06:31

I'd drop some highlights on the pants as well really make them pop. Otherwise looks great.

Rtb01
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 21 2017 07:38

Ifrit wrote:I'd drop some highlights on the pants as well really make them pop. Otherwise looks great.

I did use some eshin grey as a highlight - clearly too subtle! Maybe need a shade lighter. Many thanks for your comments :biggrin:

Tonight I have done the broadside and ghostkeel. I'm certainly progressing faster and further than I've done on any previous project for some time.

I've also named my commander - Shas'o Or'es Mont'yr Ukos ;)

Night, night all!

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 22 2017 01:55

Oh yeah I can see them upon closer inspection :biggrin:
If you're happy with them then that's all that matters.

Rtb01
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 22 2017 03:18

Ifrit wrote:Oh yeah I can see them upon closer inspection :biggrin:
If you're happy with them then that's all that matters.

I'll have a look and see what the next grey is - if it doesn't stand out it seems daft to do it :D

Ifrit
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 22 2017 11:17

Well generally there's about 2+ colors for highlights. I.e. black (as the base)-Dark grey (like a Eshin grey)-and then a touch in a few places of a light grey (like dawn stone).
Just my suggestion.

Rtb01
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 22 2017 05:47

Ifrit wrote:Well generally there's about 2+ colors for highlights. I.e. black (as the base)-Dark grey (like a Eshin grey)-and then a touch in a few places of a light grey (like dawn stone).
Just my suggestion.

Much appreciated, I'll have a go with dawnstone as the extreme highlight.

Managed to get two crisis suits and the ethereal black done this evening. Crisis suits are dull to paint :(

Other crisis and commander tomorrow. Once they're done I can start the stormsurge which excites me greatly! Night, night :)

Return to “Project Logs”