[Project Log] Sons of Shovah 15th Company

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
D'vasa
Shas

[Project Log] Sons of Shovah 15th Company

Post#1 » Jan 18 2017 09:23

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker (w/o profile) first-time poster. I'm hoping this log forces me to keep moving on my cadre.

I've been collecting/painting/playing (in that order) for about 5 years now. Starting originally with Necrons and quickly falling out of love with them in favor of the Tau Empire.

I started my Cadre by trading off the majority of my Necron army and received a large force of crisis suits, fire warriors, stealth suits, and a couple hammerheads. Figuring out that I had more crisis suits than I could ever hope to field in a single game I decided that I would join the forces of Commander Farsight. Since then I've spent more money than I would like to even think about growing my collection of little plastic duders. As it stands now I have...

***HQS***
4 Ethereals
1 Cadre Fireblade
Shas'O R'alai
***Troops***
100 Fire Warriors (in various states of construction)
20 Pathfinders with Carbines
10 Pathfinders with Heavy Weapons (5 Rail, 5 Ion)
20 Breachers
20 Kroot
***Battlesuits***
24 XV8 Crisis Suits
1 XV9 Battlesuit with Twin Linked Burst Cannons
1 XV9 Battlesuit with Twin Linked Phased Ion guns
15 XV25 Stealth Suits
4 XV88 Broadside Battlesuits
2 XV95 Ghostkeel Battlesuits
5 XV104 Riptides
1 XV107 R'varna Battlesuit
***Vehicles***
4 Devilfish
7 Hammerhead Gunships
3 Piranhas
1 Razor Shark Fighter

Now yes I know, and my girlfriend constantly reminds me, that I have more stuff than I could ever hope to use at one time. But hey, they don't call it plastic crack for just any reason. Now a lot of some of this stuff I've acquired through trades so I've ended up with way too many of some things (everyone has Firewarriors, Crisis Suits, and Riptides).

So this is the paint scheme for the majority of my infantry. The Maroon color is Vallejo's Black Red (70.859) the black is worked up with Citadel's Skavenblight Dinge and then Stormvermin Fur.

My biggest problem is that I'm never happy with anything I paint and I always try to redo it. One of my goals for this log will be to decide on a scheme and stick with it the entire way. I can't tell you that it will be quick, but I hope to finish everything eventually.

Here is a album of some of my work
http://imgur.com/a/71oQm

I will try to build myself a proper lightbox but I can't promise anything.

ImageImageImageImage

Thanks guys!

Frederick
Shas

Re: [Project Log] Sons of Shovah 15th Company

Post#2 » Jan 18 2017 11:52

As a new player and hobbyist just painting up my Tau as FSE, these are really good! I've been using Vallejo Gory Red but I think that you've just shown me that Black Red is what I really wanted. How did you do the dust on the legs/feet of the riptide?

D'vasa
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 19 2017 12:57

Thanks dude, I'm glad I could be a source of inspiration to you. The Black red is a really dark shade of red that I work up from with Citadel's Khorne red. The pictures make it look brighter than it actually is but the riptide gives you a better idea of what that color really looks like.
Frederick wrote:How did you do the dust on the legs/feet of the riptide?

I use a set of earth tone compressed chalk pastels. Just run the back side of your hobby knife down the edge to create a powder then use your dry brush with a little bit of water to pick it up and go at your model just like you would if you were dry brushing. Be sure to seal your model afterward though as it will flake off rather quickly if you don't.
This is the set I use but don't be afraid to use whatever color you want.

Frederick
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 19 2017 04:24

That's brilliant, and I don't think that I've seen that technique anywhere else. I'm absolutely using that when I get to basing my models.

D'vasa
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 20 2017 08:10

:sad: So I'm working on a weapon conversion for my Riptide's heavy burst cannon. I like the look of Agentarrow's tsunami conversion weapons but damn $40 for three weapons is steep for a poor college kid.

*sips ramen noodles*.

So I've made a quick attempt at something similar with supplies I have on hand. I really don't know if I like it better or not. Let me know what you think.

Demorte
Gue'La

Post#6 » Jan 20 2017 08:25

Nice conversion my ATT brother, indeed Arrows barrels are quite pricey.

The most important thing is that you like how your models look.

I would say your conversion looks much better then the GW gatling gun.

Theirs just looks very odd... just kinda akward not as stream lined.

Frederick
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 20 2017 08:33

I like your version a lot better. I think it'd be fine as it is and fit nicely into the 40k aesthetic. My only suggestion for improvement would be to use thinner barrels that don't contact each other. Real gatling cannons need this to dispel heat from the barrels, as well as to prevent differential cooling of the barrels. The GAU-12 or the GAU-22/A would be close parallels to the design I think you're going for.

Ironsky
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 21 2017 04:22

Welcome to ATT! That looks like quite a list!
D'vasa wrote:My biggest problem is that I'm never happy with anything I paint and I always try to redo it. One of my goals for this log will be to decide on a scheme and stick with it the entire way. I can't tell you that it will be quick, but I hope to finish everything eventually.

I couldn't sympathise more, a main problem being that the more you paint, the better you get, and the more you want to re-do earlier stuff :(

Frederick wrote: I've been using Vallejo Gory Red but I think that you've just shown me that Black Red is what I really wanted.

I've had a similar problem, will definitely get some Black Red!

Looking forward to more!

D'vasa
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 26 2017 02:51

All right guys! School has started back up for me so my hobby time has been cut down dramatically. However, I've still been chugging right along trying to complete one figure a night. Its worked out so far as I've finished off the first squad of breachers and started on the second. I also built this guy a couple of days ago and told myself that I could paint him as soon as I finish the second breacher team.

This guy was a huge pain in the ass. I didn't know it was a knock off when I got the trade but the mold lines were awful on him, almost all the pieces were warped and the weapons had to be pinned because they broke in half while I was filing them down. But the good news is that while I was building this guy my girlfriend asked if she could work on something with me. So I now have her doing all of the base coating on my infantry units!

Frederick
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 26 2017 07:10

D'vasa wrote:But the good news is that while I was building this guy my girlfriend asked if she could work on something with me. So I now have her doing all of the base coating on my infantry units!

That's true love. Looking forward to seeing the finished R'Varna!

Return to “Project Logs”