Overheal's Cadre - T'au'ger Sept (?)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Overheal
Shas'Saal

Overheal's Cadre - T'au'ger Sept (?)

Post#1 » Jan 20 2017 01:50

Horrible naming scheme? Probably. But I had been out of the game since the start of 5th (Eldar codex killed all my ambition by criminalizing the formation/style I normally played), but picked up the El Cataclysmo (literally its spanish name, and Shas'el Cataclysmo? COME ON) cos it looked neat, and painted it Orange and Purple because well, it's a neat scheme and I go to Clemson. National Champs, BTW. Then the local gaming scene exploded that year, and I got pulled back in.

But here it is. I like attention to detail, it's grown since the first model (Riptide) and my latest has been my Ghostkeel and second batch of Sniper Drones in progress. Have to finish my pathfinders and I rediscovered I am woefully behind on FWs so they will be next. Due to a sprue defect my store replaced my whole Hammerhead set so I got 2 for 1 tanks which made me super happy. Haven't done the other. Havent even done the Skyray battery yet on the first. Need to catch up on that.

As you can see on the Riptide, there are some heavy Gundam influences to how I posed and based him. I had to build up rocks to support his floating feet, the Stem wouldn't hold the weight and snapped at one point. The Jetpack was lightly modded with Paperclip pinning and Green Stuff to give the effect that they are mounted on full motion actuators, giving the jetpack a wing-style feel. Hindsight alert: it makes it a total b_ to fit it into any case. Even custom battlefoam would have to be - more custom-y. But he's a total badass.

On the Shark, I lost/screwed up some bits so now the missile pod can't be attached to the front sponson, so I don't think it can be strictly used as one of the 2 configs, if an opponent really cares (honestly, *I* would care, because you can't hit ground targets from the tail position) But I think it came out pretty. Still did the Shark when debating about how best to do energy effects.

Stealth Suits are the fav's of my force, simple but striking colors and it's always fun to mess with opponents via Infiltrate. The scheme translated very well to the Ghostkeel, and I spent a lot of time detailing him. Other than that I have only 1 Crisis painted as a commander, and he has a chest wound from his first game: he was being a cocky SOB while I was tabling my Ork opponent when a lucky Trukk pulled off a krak missile shot and IK'd him. For funsies, I gave my opponent a trophy piece (A helmet I think?) and I took a soldering iron to the chest to mark the arrogance forever.

Overall the colors work well, Purple-dominant models are stealth, and I try to put an orange "unit marker" rim around each models base. Not trying to play to confuse an opponent, I like to know where my own guys are. Granted I've seen some really good jungle camo done with pathfinders and Necron snipers that I'm jealous of, they look like Navy Seals. But being in the Clemson area, the scheme is readily recognized as being collegiate. I found that my Freshman (my "I transferred in!") pin, fits perfectly into the tail of the Shark when used as a Sunshark. This pleases me.

I will have to update later with close-ups of the troops. The pathfinders look pretty good, the most attention was probably given to them and the snipers. I haven't unclipped my Breacher team yet but they will get started sooner rather than later one would hope. The Recon drone base I tried a "radar" effect with. Or whats the BSG term - DRADIS? :)
Last edited by Overheal on Jan 20 2017 02:08, edited 2 times in total.

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: Overheal's Cadre - T'au'ger Sept (?)

Post#2 » Jan 20 2017 02:01

For a second I thought your Riptide is standing ON the Drones in your third pic. :D

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 20 2017 02:02

Other stuff:

My Eldar Vehicles from 4th Edition, in Biel Tan scheme. Unabashedly they are schemes mimicked straight from the codex though I am not as skilled as the GW painters. It was a good way to learn a ton. They introduced inks back then, the undercarriages I used toothpicks to etch blue ink into the details, and ungodly numbers of coats of white. I didn't finish the weapons because I hate painting weapons. Still kinda do.

THIS is a useful lifehack: Walmart sells thread spindle racks in the craft section on the cheap. Add those 3M velcro strips and rubber bands and you have a reasonably portable paint rack. Wall mountable! Yay!

I'm a messy hobbyist and so are you! (is that a webway portal?)

I also have a 3D Printer, but it's not set up for the fidelity needed to fabricate minatures. Though there is a makerspace on campus that is (I have a .4mm nozzle, they have several with a .1mm nozzle). It still makes groovy things, like this Charmander! Orange filament + details = mini pet rock but better

Overheal
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jan 20 2017 02:06

Panzer wrote:For a second I thought your Riptide is standing ON the Drones in your third pic. :D

lol nah but they do have showcasing peg-holes in his base, hidden in the mud.

Tau-Noob
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 21 2017 11:04

Purple and Orange Tau....... excellent!

Return to “Project Logs”