UPDATED 12/03/17 [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
neonmole
Shas'La

UPDATED 12/03/17 [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#1 » Jan 21 2017 08:15

UPDATED 12/03/17 - Stealth Suits & building progress! (see top of page 2...)

Hi Guys,

Some of you may have seen a couple of my posts over in the painting section! I have recently embarked on a new Tau army, after a hiatus of about 10 (!) years from the hobby. Tau were always the army that captured my imagination, so I have returned to them for my first project!

To motivate myself I have decided to make a blog of the project and share my progress with you all!

Theme:

For me, Tau are all about mobility, precision, and application of precise firepower. I have never been enamoured of the gun line style, that is what Astra Millitarum are for. With that in mind I am going for a mechanised, mobile, CQC theme. I am combining this with a special forces / stealth theme, driven by my love of the stealth suit models, and the Ghostkeel - which didn't exist when I was playing before.

So here are my first models! I hope you like them, constructed criticism is sincerely appreciated, I have been out of this for a long time!!

First Breacher Team:

Breachers didn't exist when I used to play, I love the new models and they fit my theme perfectly!

Devilfish:

Clearly my boys need a ride! This was really used as a proof of concept that I could translate the colour scheme to battle suits & vehicles.

Ensemble Shots:

So you can see how the colours match up, given the contrast of the camo on the 'fish vs the matt grey on the breachers.

Thanks for your time! I will be updating with new models as consistently as I can. My aim is to have 750-1000 points completed in the next 2-3 months!

Any comments or suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by neonmole on Mar 12 2017 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Scissors is balanced, nerf Paper. - Rock

Panzer
Shas'La

Re: [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#2 » Jan 21 2017 08:50

Awesome. Exactly the same theme i plan to follow as well and as I already said beautifully painted on top of it. ;)

red'gue'vesa
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 28 2017 09:47

Really like the color scheme. What is the purpose of the pouches on the side? Are they claymores?
Live by the law, die by the sword

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 29 2017 02:22

Excellent work, neonmole! I love the theme of your cadre—although I am a bit biased because I share your appreciation of mechanized Tau, mobility and CQC/MOUT.

Your painting is very clean, and the weathering and camo on the devilfish are top notch.

If I may, what paints and colors are you using for this great color scheme?

Aphotic
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 29 2017 07:11

ARC'Thunder wrote:Your painting is very clean, and the weathering and camo on the devilfish are top notch.

I wholeheartedly agree! This is a beautiful scheme and as I too am getting back into Tau, was looking for a scheme similar to this, that reminds me of a darker Sa'cea.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#6 » Jan 29 2017 10:09

Wow that scheme has really come up well and I really like the organic cammo on the devilfish, tried similar on a XV8 but was kind of leary at doing it across a Devilfish chassis :D

Completely agree on a matte route for the finish.

D'vasa
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 31 2017 09:12

wow, super jealous. I love the scheme, which paints did you use for the grey tones? Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more. :D

neonmole
Shas'La

Post#8 » Feb 01 2017 02:36

Thanks so much for the kind words guys! I really do appreciate it, such a motivator to keep going when its tough to find the time between real life & everything else!!

red'gue'vesa wrote:Really like the color scheme. What is the purpose of the pouches on the side? Are they claymores?

So I wanted to find a way to use the colours I chose for the undersuits on the vehicles for some coherency &I wanted the armour to be uniformly camo so that wasn't an option... I came up with the pouches based upon pictures of real world fighting vehicles - APC's, helicopters etc. I like the idea of "saddle bags", I imagine the teams might keep things in there that they need quick access to in the field! Could be ammo, tools, or whatever. Or maybe mines as per your suggestion!

ARC'Thunder wrote:Excellent work, neonmole! I love the theme of your cadre—although I am a bit biased because I share your appreciation of mechanized Tau, mobility and CQC/MOUT.

Your painting is very clean, and the weathering and camo on the devilfish are top notch.

D'vasa wrote:wow, super jealous. I love the scheme, which paints did you use for the grey tones? Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more. :D

The models are sprayed Mechanicus grey, covered in Nuln Oil, then Eshin Grey for the main colour. The highlights / the camo is Mechanicus grey again. Brown is steel legion drab, agrax earth shade, tallarn sand, and karak stone.

Tael wrote:Wow that scheme has really come up well and I really like the organic cammo on the devilfish, tried similar on a XV8 but was kind of leary at doing it across a Devilfish chassis :D

Completely agree on a matte route for the finish.

Thankyou so much for the compliment! It really means a lot coming from you, I have long admired your work, and it was infact when I saw your urban models (about 10 years ago!) that I began thinking of this scheme. It has been incubating in my head since then!

I promise I will have some more in the coming weeks - I have just finished assembling a stealth team & a ghostkeel! Wanted to mix it up before I do another infantry group / fish. Hopefully I will have something to show soon(ish)!

- On that note: I am yet to decide whether I should apply the camo scheme to the suits, or utilise a simpler matt grey. What do you guys think would work best?

Cheers!

PS - you can also find the list I am working on here (viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25277&p=318185#p318185) for those of you interested in the overall aesthetic that I am looking to build. Plus - advice from a gaming perspective is always appreciated to :)
Scissors is balanced, nerf Paper. - Rock

Tael
Fio'O

Post#9 » Feb 07 2017 02:30

Really? Crazy talk :D Thanks man!

Hmmm, applying the mottle cammo to suits is double edged. Its looks crazy cool, but really merges the lines on a suit. One of the issues with my Stealth XV8 and Shas'El's suit was they were hard to photograph as the organic cammo really breaks up the lines.

I saw a French painter apply it to just the curved shells then keep other armor sections urban tones. I'll check my inspiration folders for the image I'm thinking of.

Sulan
Shas

Post#10 » Feb 09 2017 10:58

Really great models and painting! Do you mind sharing how you did the bases?

Return to “Project Logs”