UPDATED 12/03/17 [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
neonmole
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#11 » Feb 09 2017 01:49

Sulan wrote:Really great models and painting! Do you mind sharing how you did the bases?

Sure - it's really easy: sand painted in a mixed up dark brown colour, then light drybrished with steel legion drab. The mud is a mix of th same brown colour with a ton of gloss varnish, which you just pool on very thick as you see fit. Final step is the regular grass tufts from GW, and a final coat of gloss on the mud areas!

Hope that helps. With the realistic theme in mind I was going for a "war is hell" kind of vibe...
Scissors is balanced, nerf Paper. - Rock

neonmole
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#12 » Mar 12 2017 11:07

UPDATE!

So its been a while, between real life & everything else I have made less progress than I would like, but nevertheless progress has been made!

Since I last posted I have spent some time trying to nail the way I will be painting the suits, having done firewarriors & a vehicle the suits were the last area that I needed to figure out how to apply the scheme to.

Here is the first Stealth team! Took a lot of trial and error to get it quite right, but I am really happy with the result. I wasn't sure whether to utilise the camo pattern on them, and settled on restricting it to the "shell" and the weapons, as they are the largest, flattest areas. On the larger suits I will likely apply it more liberally.

Stealth Suits:

Image[

(It felt like a bit of a risk but I am really happy with how the glow effect turned out on the fusion blaster, I think it sets off the other colours nicely and will definitely use it elsewhere when appropriate)

Painted So Far Group Shot:

(I am happy with the cohesiveness of the scheme so far, I was really worried as to how well it would translate from infantry, to vehicle, to suit, but it is working well so far)

In addition! I have been hard at work building new models! (which takes me an ungodly long time as I am super anal about mould lines, etc etc). This is my first 1000 points minus a HQ, which I have yet to build....

Crisis Suits

(I really like dynamic flying poses, but I do not really like flying stands... What I have done here is use milliput to build up a base and then use one foot to make it look like the suit is thrusting around dynamically. They were really fun to make. Also - this new Crisis suit kit is a million times better than the old one!)

Group Shot of the 1000pts built

Thanks for any comments, suggestions etc. It really is an enormous motivator and I sincerely appreciate anyone who takes the time to join me on this little journey!

Thanks!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: UPDATED 12/03/17 [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#13 » Mar 12 2017 01:47

Really amazing work as usual! Love the posing of the crisis suits!

Aphotic
Shas'Saal

Re: UPDATED 12/03/17 [BLOG] Close Assault Stealth Cadre - 10 Year Hobby Hiatus New Tau Project!

Post#14 » Mar 14 2017 04:01

The paint is very very smooth, I'm surprised you get that our of your rattle can of Mechanicus Grey.

I use the Mephiston Red rattle can for my Blood Angels and it seems to gunk up the details a bit, maybe I need to hold it further away from the model, although the coverage is not so great when I do that. Multiple sprays?

Anyway, looks great. I love these. Did you use a stencil for the "camo" effect or free hand?

Thank you!!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#15 » Mar 14 2017 05:11

This cadre makes me happy. But also, embarressed I never expanded the city fight force beyond a few troops :D

I -REALLY- need to complete my stealth XV8 that originally was planned for the City Fight cadre.

Top work man :)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Mar 14 2017 07:20

They are very nice man the tufts on the bases really set them off. That devilfish is sublime I even like the wet mud... But that visor in that purple is something special! I look forward to following your progress. I've no idea how you are getting that "shell" pattern so smooth. It really suits the stealth teams.

neonmole
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Mar 15 2017 06:18

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses!

I have a small update, no new models but some additions to exitsting models...

I took a bit of a chance on this.. I decided that with the realistic theme that I wanted to dirty my my guys up a little. This was inspired by some work I have done on my WIP Ghostkeel, where I have done some weathering effects that I found to be really effective. I am keen on using this technique but wanted it to be consistent across the force. With that in mind I figured I would need to retroactively apply the weathering to my other models.

I am pretty happy with how it has turned out, I'm very curious to see how others see it..?

(Really like how it turned out on this guys, I feel it just makes them a little more interesting to look at)

(Wanted to go subtle on the troops, a few dinks here and there for consistency sake)

(Went to town a little more on the 'fish! In retrospect maybe a tad too much. That said I wanted to capture the breachers being in the thick of it and taking some heat! I like the effect overall, as it adds some depth to the model)

I was very nervous doing this as I have never used any weathering effects of this nature. But I figured I should be brave as the original mission was to capture a realistic look. I think as an army it will look really cool, and eye catching on the table top!

As a sneak peak, I think you guys will really like the way it looks on the Ghostkeel!!
Last edited by neonmole on Mar 15 2017 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

neonmole
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Mar 15 2017 07:18

As an addendum :-

The reason I was very nervous about doing this is that I am an extremely detail orientated painter, and my style has always been very smooth & clean - meaning I typically shy away from stuff like this. In particular (as some have noted!) I am very anal about a smooth finish on my paint... With that in mind I really hope the effect doesn't detract from the style elsewhere, and rather compliments it.

As you can probably is a little outside my comfort zone, but I really wanted to do what I could to capture the gritty look I am going for (mud, etc etc.) - even if it means going outside my comfort zone as a painter!I hope I have managed to apply this look/effect without compromising on the quality... I guess this is one of those painting "have faith" moments!

Anyways - for these reasons it really is an area where advice is very useful!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#19 » Mar 16 2017 02:00

Tough call for me beause..
The reason I was very nervous about doing this is that I am an extremely detail orientated painter, and my style has always been very smooth & clean - meaning I typically shy away from stuff like this. In particular (as some have noted!) I am very anal about a smooth finish on my paint...

Like reading my own notes on my painting habits.

I've always shied away from weathering, most I tend to do is muddied edges and some dusting into corners and over leading edges.

Having done the same colours - its hard to use grey edged battle damage without stuffing the scheme. Interesting to see all out metal wear on the patterns. :)

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Mar 30 2017 10:27

Love love love that devilfish!

I love how well you pull off urban tau. Super dark, but still detailed and poppy.

This is giving me ideas for my kroot!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#21 » Mar 31 2017 06:04

I know right?

With the new Kill Team rules, should be an interesting unit if you give Armageddon a shot :)

guges
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Apr 18 2017 03:52

That is a very clean camo job. The lighter color has very clean lines. The whole army is looking pretty spectacular. The weathering effects look like real metal is coming out underneath the paint. Nicely executed.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » May 23 2017 03:06

Times and times again I have came back to gaze upon such beaty such as your masterfully painted miniatures!
I must admit that with each day I am leaning towards this exact scheme. I would still like to work on my final scheme but I just can't deny how amazing the dark grey colors look! You have done a great job pal!

Also I might be blind but I am yet to stuble on the question how and where from you have gotten those pouches and bags which you outfitted with you d'fish? I am really liking the idea but would have come up with a different kind of use for those parts. Your advice on finding these parts wouls be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Nix
Cheers!
Nix

Shas'o Dre
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » May 23 2017 06:21

really nice scheme. can't wait to see your ghostkeel.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#25 » May 24 2017 09:10

@Nixon, they are Space Marine accessories. Common pouches and so on. :)

Also I love seeing all the new models using the scheme, but I'm biased already haha.

Con Artist
Shas

Post#26 » May 25 2017 12:04

Are the mechanics and gun parts just chaos black?

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » May 25 2017 02:19

Tael wrote:@Nixon, they are Space Marine accessories. Common pouches and so on. :)

Also I love seeing all the new models using the scheme, but I'm biased already haha.

Thanks for the info Tael!
And your work is the reason I am so in love with the idea of an urban scheme for Tau Warriors. I can never turn back :P
I am currently planning on how I could combine your urban scheme with my distressed tan-ish scheme and make it somewhat good looking...

I've stumbled on some color scheme pictures where people had the chance to use your own made Fire Warrior template. I know the chainsword and bolter one exists but not liking how it displays the colors on the "miniature" but do you mind to guide me how exactly Iwould able to find this template of yours?
Thank you.
Cheers!
Nix

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#28 » May 25 2017 08:32

Ah man seeing all these amazingly painted armies really makes me miss it. I can't wait till I get home and can start building the tau waiting for me.
Really love the urban scheme and I think your weathering is spot on.

Return to “Project Logs”