Babies First Army: And you can too!

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tearphoenix
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Babies First Army: And you can too!

Post#11 » Mar 07 2017 08:32

They look great! I really like the scheme you have chosen. I think Tau look really good in grays and whites with cool colors.

As for the grass tufts, you could consider tufts that mix a bit of tan and green, but overall I don't think the green tufts look out of place at all. Basing is my favorite part of painting models. One, I enjoy the actual process, but it also brings a sense of completion.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your units. Keep up the great work!

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Mar 07 2017 08:38

Thank you! I completely agree. It's definitely the icing on the cake. Bases are like the picture frame of the artwork. Sure you can slap a cool poster on the wall, but it looks so much better with a good frame around it. ;)

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Mar 09 2017 11:08

Quick update:

Still have to touch up the base on the Riptide. Went a little too heavy on the highlight of the rocks, plus still waiting on my game store to get the blue and agrax paints in.

Also, did some modding to my devilfish. I'll post pics once it's primed and the greenstuff dries.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Mar 10 2017 12:12

Again, still need to detail then base, but here are my pathfinders and fire warriors. I'll try to post more tomorrow, sleepy now :)

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Mar 10 2017 07:41

What's that scheme you got on the pathfinders? I've been considering making my pathfinders look sneakier and something like that would work wonderfully.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Mar 10 2017 07:56

I don't know if it's an actual scheme or not, I just kinda made it up :P feel free to use it! The paints I used are

Stegadon scale green
Skavenblight since
Fenrisian grey
Karak stone
wazdakka red

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#17 » Mar 11 2017 05:43

Looking good and it's cool to see certain units in the urban grey - gives me an idea on the kits I am yet to put together! haha.

I agree with Kakapo a few posts back, your initial base idea is good - though I then agree that a dash of dusty brown will tie in the grass better and give a subtle shade shift from the colour scheme of the models.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Mar 11 2017 05:47

Broke down and bought a Broadside. I felt that magnetizing the arms was going to hinder the pose, so I just went straight misslefists. Also wanted to make a custom head.

I still have some touching up of the green stuff, plus some minor details to do, but feedback is always welcome!

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#19 » Mar 11 2017 05:51

Tael wrote:Looking good and it's cool to see certain units in the urban grey - gives me an idea on the kits I am yet to put together! haha.

I agree with Kakapo a few posts back, your initial base idea is good - though I then agree that a dash of dusty brown will tie in the grass better and give a subtle shade shift from the colour scheme of the models.

Thanks! You're my biggest inspiration, so this means a lot coming from you! :biggrin: along with the broadside, I also picked up some agrax wash because I too agree that it could use a light dusting.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Mar 11 2017 11:11

Well, managed to accidentally spill the agrax while opening it. :::(

Luckily, I had the foresight to buy a ton of small eye droppers, and I used a small plastic divider from my case as a squeegee to help suck it back up. Ended up recovering about 3/4 of it.

Protip: don't hastily open pots because you're excited to paint. :D

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#21 » Mar 14 2017 05:25

Hey hey...! (Applause) Welcome to the club Ka'buki :D My worst was black ink across my mother's favourite coffee table when I was a teenager.

Look forward to the new paint work. And cheers man! Glad to get folks creative ideas going!

I like the Broadside pose, look's like he is grouchily stalking forwards. ("Dang xenos messing up'ma lawn" - missile storm!)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Mar 14 2017 07:30

My worst spill if you can call it that was with an old red ink. I'd just finished redecorating my bedroom when I lived with my parents, pristine white walls. I just opened the red ink for the first time ever to use on some BA's and when finished I with one finger attempted to close the lid. I pressed so hard the whole paint pot flew across the room hitting the wall at head height.... Every drop was now on my wall. It left me with a giant pink smudge until the day I moved out.

Also I do love the colour combo's you've chosen for your army it's quite striking in an understated way.

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Mar 14 2017 08:20

Tael wrote:Hey hey...! (Applause) Welcome to the club Ka'buki :D My worst was black ink across my mother's favourite coffee table when I was a teenager.

Look forward to the new paint work. And cheers man! Glad to get folks creative ideas going!

I like the Broadside pose, look's like he is grouchily stalking forwards. ("Dang xenos messing up'ma lawn" - missile storm!)

Ouch! I bet she was none too pleased! :eek:

That's just was I was going for with the pose! It reminds me of the Rex from metal gear solid. Making it more like a hulking animal makes them feel more menacing to me. I might incorporate more of the green color that's in my pathfinders to the broadsides, just for a bit of change, yet also keeping with theme coherency.

Shas'O Darklighter wrote:Every drop was now on my wall. It left me with a giant pink smudge until the day I moved out.

Also I do love the colour combo's you've chosen for your army it's quite striking in an understated way.

Oh man, I bet it looked pretty gruesome before you cleaned it up! :evil:

Thanks! I'm glad to see my ideas are coming across as intended. I appreciate the feedback a bunch guys!

I heavily modded up my devilfish to look more like an attack frigate rather than just a transport, which should lend itself well to doubling as a hammerhead. The only drawback is I don't have more of the same gundam parts to duplicate it once I buy another model. I'll post pics of it once I get it primed, as it looks a little over done as-is.

Unicornsilovethem
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Mar 15 2017 01:44

Ka'Buki wrote:Well, managed to accidentally spill the agrax while opening it. :::(

Luckily, I had the foresight to buy a ton of small eye droppers, and I used a small plastic divider from my case as a squeegee to help suck it back up. Ended up recovering about 3/4 of it.

Protip: don't hastily open pots because you're excited to paint. :D

I spilled my Agrax twice! And I only use it for tiny details (FW hooves).

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Mar 15 2017 09:09

As per usual, touchups etc. Finally got the confidence to paint my Ethereal!

I'm surprised how well it goes with the theme. It took me an hour just to decide on colors before I even touched the paint. :neutral:

I nailed the gem in his face on the first go, and I let out an audible "Hell yeah!", then people looked at me funny. :crafty:

When something goes as planned on the first try, it really boosts the confidence!

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Mar 16 2017 04:56

The purple dry brush on the ethereal looks like a nebula pattern from the front... Very mystical. I also feel your pain, it takes me longer to workout what colours (and placements of them) I'm going to use then it does to actually finish the unit!

Ka'Buki
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Mar 22 2017 03:08

More progress! Neither are finished yet, but the basic idea is there.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#28 » Mar 22 2017 07:57

Hey now! Liking those missile racks on the 'Fish. Nice touch.

Return to “Project Logs”