Akagi Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Paulson
Shas'Ui

Akagi Cadre

Post#1 » Mar 11 2017 08:29

It's been close to 4 years since I painted anything which is something that I wanted to address this year because so many of my hobby projects are long outstanding. For the past several months I've been sorting through the ever growing pile of plastic and hobby supplies, getting things inventoried and assembled in preparation for some actual game play. (it's been 4 years since I played as well)

I've had my converted broadside sitting around for a while and I finally got started on the paint. Here's a WIP shot, it needs a bit more clean up and it'll be ready to start adding highlights to the body panels. I also need to put the shoulder pads back on with some greenstuff to help them seat better.

I'll be using a similar paint scheme for my other crisis suits, I'd originally planned on doing everything in solid orange with white markings and accents but it was too overpowering so I opted for a more subdued pattern but kept a touch of the orange as I really like how it pops.

I have 6 other crisis suits built, magnetized, and primed. Now that I have a color scheme worked out they'll be next in line. The missile launchers are from http://www.reddogminis.com

Ironsky
Shas'La

Re: Akagi Cadre

Post#2 » Mar 11 2017 02:23

Very nice! I've been wondering how you were planning to paint this guy.

Looking forward to more.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#3 » Mar 11 2017 05:48

Indeed! - Wow.. Got Missile? :D

Naturally any urban scheme is a fave - totally biased ;)

Paulson
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 12 2017 03:26

Somebody referred to it as being "missile-licious" which I think will be it's new official title, lol.

It's probably a bit overboard and borderline comical with that many missiles but I like it. The downside is having to paint that many missiles which is actually kinda tough to get that many of them to be painted nice and round while being packed so closely together. It seems like they kept coming out oval shaped or I'd get the ink or paint smeared onto the launchers face plate or end up smudging the grey on the missile tips. It worked out well in the end but it almost drove me crazy in the process.

I'm finding that I'm incredibly rusty with the painting, things are taking a lot more layering to do then what I remembered doing in the past and I'm painfully slow but I'm fairly happy with the final result. The last time I painted anything was for our Mordheim league 4 years ago and it's probably been the better part of 7-8 years since I actually painted any of my Tau models so it's been a very long time since I even picked up a brush.

I did pick up the how to paint Tau empire guide from GW digital, while I'm not following any of the specific sept color patterns in there it was a helpful resource in terms of putting the new paint names with the colors and also how they go about building the basic layers and inking, so it was a good refresher.

I started with a primer layer of Abaddon black which I applied by hand due to the winter cold messing with spraypaints. It probably would have gone easier if I'd started with a white or grey primer, which maybe I'll remember for next time.

Skavenblight Dinge for the darkest grey, Dawnstone for the mid range grey, then Administratum Grey for the light grey and the highlights will be a 50/50 mix of Ulthuan Grey and Administratum Grey. The Orange was a base of Squig Orange with a highlight of Troll Slayer Orange. The missile tips are Fire Dragon Bright. I used Nuln Oil for the wash/shade as it kept the shadows more in the cool bluish/black range. Where Agrax Earthshade has a slight reddish brown hue to it and would make the shading too warm.

I'm hoping at some point to pick up an airbrush as the models would certainly benefit for some cool glow effects, but for now I'm doing everything old fashioned by hand and keeping the paint layers thin by using a wet pallette.

The lighting in the pictures came out a bit harsh and I'm hoping to get some better ones when I have some good clear natural daylight. I'm not sure why but my camera has fits with the color balance anytime I try and take pictures where there's red or orange involved with indoor lighting. I can usually adjust contrast levels well in photoshop, but when the color balance is off I can never get it to look quite right on screen even when I mess with all the adjustments. Outdoor lighting it seems to have a much easier time with but reds can still be an issue.

Tael
Fio'O

Post#5 » Mar 14 2017 05:27

I feel yah on the painting concerns - new paints are throwing me constantly. Let alone best lighting conditions.

"Missilicious?" love it. That needs to be a t-shirt, Tank Girl style.

Be interesting to see your work with the airbrush glow sfx. :)

Return to “Project Logs”