Cho'co'lat Cadre [WIP] [[IMAGE HEAVY]]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Cho'co'lat Cadre [WIP] [[IMAGE HEAVY]]

Post#1 » May 02 2017 04:43

Hey all, this is going to be my log for the progress on my army.

As I mentioned in my profile jobby I only recently becamce re-engaged with Tau and the 40k universe. I 'THINK' I originally started collecting Tau way back in 2001 (so many old man feelings :::( ), bought models for a few years, never really finished any of them and then lost interest in the whole thing.

Anyhoo, wind forwatrd to 2017 and a friend of mine starts building a Tyranid army, and I think "Hey, Hungry_Bert, haven't you got a load of Tau stuff in the garage? Isn't your SO constantly mentioning about all the junk in the garage that never gets used and should be thrown away? Aren't you always telling her they are collectables?" So yeah, I decided to dig out my old Tau stuff and have a proper go at getting into the hobby.

Turns out this was quite well timed as the 8th edition is about to be released and so I don't have to learn all the silly old rules.

And without further ado here are some of the things I've been working on.

To start with here's what I pulled out of the garage

The first thing I did while trying to figure everything out was to build a couple of markers. I got the inspiration for these from Pinterest, so I can't credit the originator

Next up came trying out some of the colours on my fish (for some reason when I see this colour scheme I immediately think Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate...)

Then I set to work on my Crisis Suits and magnetising ALL THE WEAPONS. You'll see the modded one, I basically followed Shas faresight's guide on modernising themhttp://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=21522. This one will be my commander.

I might have been a little distracted at this point. So I converted an old IG Sentinel I bought years ago because it reminded me of Star Wars. Anyway, he's now a counts-as Gue'Vesa Broadside. I made the power plant out of a couple of fusion blasters, part of a burst cannon, the weird bit you get with a stealth team and some jetpaks I got in a load of bits I bought.

Then I got a little serious and copied Proiteus' Remora Drone Fighter's. I don't have any spare seeker missiles at the moment, so I used the some Sunshark turbo jet thingies on the underside. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out and have more spare bits on order.

And the most recent thing I've made is my own Commander Longstrike. I used the regular tank commander body, an old Crisis Suit shoulder, and some pathfinder and Kroot bits to make the rest. For how simple this is I think it's one of my best conversions. I haven't pinned the head in yet as I want to get him painted first and I've never painted Tau flesh before!

Next up.

Paint the lot! I've never been great at painting, but hopefully with using my friend's airbrush I'll at least be able to do it quickly.

I also have plans for using some Necron bits to convert one of my unmade Crisis Suits into a Commander Farsight.

That's all for now!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Cho'co'lat Cadre [WIP] [[IMAGE HEAVY]]

Post#2 » May 03 2017 03:13

Ahh nostalgia for the old box designs... and the price of crisis suits! Looks like you've made a good start so far. I like the look of your conversions - Longstrike seems to be shaping up really well, I hadn't thought of using the Kroot shoulder guards like that before.

Awaiting more...

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#3 » May 12 2017 01:28

Wow, that is a clever longstrike idea - nice!

That human head actually works quite well with Tau armor, interesting to note. May use it for a Gue'vesa Auxiliary soon :)

Hungry_Bert
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 21 2017 11:22

Apologies for resurrecting this post, it has been some time since I started it and figured I should do a little update. I say little update, but I’ve done and bought quite a bit (not painting) since May. Not to mention that there has been a new edition of 40k released. I’ll work in date order to make sure I don’t forget anything.

I acquired some eBay special hammerheads and devilfish. I really wanted to make one of the Fire Support variants with the HBC’s. I ordered some Gatling style guns from eBay, I thought they were the right scale for 40k. I was a little bit off...

As I started running my commander with 4x Fusion Blasters I wanted to model him with 2 on each arm. The commander is an old XV8 model converted using the modernisation guide posted on ATT. I still need to finish painting and building him, but at least now he has the right weapons. And if the meta changes after the codex drops I can always give him something else because MAGNETS!

I also liked using Darkstrider so ended up making my own from bits and pieces, including the tank commander’s binoculars.

I also made some progress on getting some of the base colours on a small portion of my army.

I wanted to try out a couple of squads of Vespid Stingwings in a Relic game against some Drukhari. I only have 6 of the metal Vespid, and I’m not a massive fan of the models. I intended to try and cobble something together like the Red Dog Mini’s conversion kit, but didn’t have time to make the numbers I wanted. In the end I figured I’d go for an alternative biological option. I give you my Kroot Stingwings! They’re made with the legs, head and arms of your standard Kroot Carnivores, a cut down pulse blaster and a massively chopped down Tyranid Gargoyle body and wings. I really like them and need to get round to finishing off their chests with greenstuff.

For a 3000 point 2vs2 team game, where my T’au were allied with Tyranids against Thousand Sons (with Magnus) and Aeldari, I wanted to bring Longstrike and 5 friends. I wanted 2 of these friends to be the HBC Fire Support variant and the Heavy Bombardment variant from the Forgeworld Index. I managed to cobble these together pretty quickly, and while its not the best HBC, I’m still happy with the outcome. I’m very happy with the HYMP variant.

For a recent game against Tyranids I wanted to take a hard to hit army. After an accident on eBay earlier in the year I had ended up buying a large number of XV25 Stealth Battlesuits. So I fielded 24. And I kitbashed a few spare bits into a Shadowsun and her drones. If the mission hadn’t ended up being Relic I might have had more success, unfortunately when you bunch, even with XV25’s, you’ll get a whole army of Tyranids down your throat. It wasn’t fun...

I’ve got a bit of work to do building my Y’Vahra, I’m not the best painter and really want to do it justice, so I keep putting it off. What I have done though is start on making the base. I also decided to do something similar for my Riptide. The Necron Destroyer is from a bunch of bits I got off of eBay and the Tetra is a spare due to Forgeworld sending me one 10 years ago without one of the jet intakes. When I contacted them in June they kindly sent me a whole new kit with 2 in it and instructions that I should use the old one as battle damage.

And finally, I laid out my whole army the other day to get an idea of where I am and what I need to work on. Apparently it is a lot of painting...

Hopefully our codex will land soon and I’ll have some new updates with paint jobs. I’m very busy with full time work, studying and a relationship, so I don’t get to spend much time painting, and when I do get hobby time it’s normally at the local club playing games. That’s all for now!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#5 » Dec 21 2017 03:32

All indeed, massive collection and some clever conversions throughout. Not to worry on resurrection, it's a Project Log - stuff takes time :D

Great to see the organisation you have going with your hobby desk too ;)

Return to “Project Logs”