Jester's Jeneric Jungle Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Jester's Jeneric Jungle Cadre

Post#1 » May 13 2017 01:48

So I bought a largely unpainted Tau army from eBay way back in 2013. Since then I've been slowly painting it up, expanding the army and improving my painting/modeling technique. I love tau models because the suits are so dynamic and posable. I don't think any other race in 40k gives you the same modeling freedom. When I started with this army, my idea of a finished paint job was a single base coat color and maybe red dots for eyes. I've been learning a lot about how to paint, how to highlight, and more recently how to paint lenses. A note on the colors: I had decided on the Caliban Green and Mechanicus Grey without thinking about it too much back in 2013. I still like those, but I sort of wish I had chosen an actual sept color. I'm never quite sure what colors to apply as highlights, so you'll see many different combinations.

Anyway, I think my army has finally hit a critical mass to where it's worth posting about. All suits and vehicles are fully magnetized so I opted to photograph the suits without their weapons because I'm lazy :smile: Some of the models posted here have been scratched up a little from sitting in a box and being carried around, and need a few touch up passes. Also this is my first experience with lighting and color correction so please bear with me.

Any feedback or suggestions about painting/modeling/theming/basing/etc would be very welcome! Thanks!

First model is maybe my favorite, my commander. We've probably all seen the Dynamic Entry meme of the tau suit kicking the Space Marine in the face. I saw it and thought it'd be a perfect pose for a commander. Using a little shaping, green stuff, and a lot of super glue, I got the model to actually hold together. The little story here is that the space marine just shot the firewarrior and the commander was just a little too late to save his soldier. The firewarrior's shoulder pad is supposed to be a lazy man's multicam camo pattern.

Last edited by jestermaximus on May 13 2017 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Jester's Jeneric Jungle Cadre

Post#2 » May 13 2017 01:54

Speaking of firewarriors, this is the first squad I ever painted. I just recently bought a few of the newer turrets by themselves to add to the squad. I have several squads of firewarriors and pathfinders, but this is the only one that's actually done.

Another of my early projects was the pirhanna that came with the eBay army. I experimented with a slightly different camo pattern (on both the drones and vehicle itself).

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » May 13 2017 02:00

There are the turrets I recently bought to keep my fire warrior squads up to date. The missiles are magnetized, so any missile pods that fit on the suits (or the SMS that fit on riptides) can be put on here. I tried to model the bases to look as if the turrets had been dropped from an aircraft and created a small crater when they landed using green stuff. I think I may have put a little too much green back into the base after painting mud/burns. Let me know what you think!

There are all the drones I've painted for my army. Most of the marker light drones are kit-bashes using the many extra fire warrior antennas that came with my original eBay army and bitz from crisis suits. I use drones to experiment with different camo schemes. I still haven't found one I love. I love the bases I've created for some of the drones, eventually I'll get around to creating bases for all of them, but there is so much to do!

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » May 13 2017 02:06

This was my first commander suit from the eBay army I bought. I believe back then the only physical distinction between a commander suit and a normal crisis suit was the metal head that you put on. I figured he needed a pretty heroic pose to really make him stand out from the other crisis suits. The Dark Eldar being punched in the gut is magnetized, so that are can either hold the other model, or a weapon if needed. I tried to use color correction on this image and it seems to have screwed up the red colors. They aren't really that saturated :nice:

This is a more recent creation. Just a standard Ethereal. I've got to figure out how to actually work him into my army list. Just really love the model. I am pretty proud of how well the free-hand Tau script came out.

More pictures as I have the time to take them!

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » May 16 2017 10:47

Next up are is my broadside team. A little less posable than crisis suits, but I love the look of so many missiles standing out against the rest of the suit. Tried to magnetize them, but was too much trouble since in 7th use of HHR was pretty questionable. Now that 8th is shaking things up, it might be time to revisit that.

My 2 devilfish. One on the left has a little work still to be done. The camo on the right was originally going to be something like multicam, but this seemed more Tau like.

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » May 16 2017 10:51

The riptide is definitely one of the centerpieces of my army (probably everyone's army). I think even the small amount of posing I did with the model makes it look pretty unique. He's down on one knee, holding his shield up against an incoming blast even while he's firing his own weapon. Very heroic lol. I've been toying with the idea of trying to make some sort of shield impact effect and have seen some great examples, but most require and airbrush. Any advice on this would be very welcome!

jestermaximus
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » May 16 2017 10:59

My Ghostkeel is one of my more recent projects. He's supposed to look like he's dashing just above the ground, over the wreckage of a Space Marine tank. The tank is a piece I had laying around from about 2003. I really like adding the high contrast debris on base, I think it makes the model stand out a lot more. Unfortunately I didn't think to start adding bits of my old space marine army to my Tau models until the last few projects. Also just realized I need to paint the lenses on the drones lol

My pair of Tetras (with experimental camo pattern) and my pair of magnetized hammerheads. Please forgive the weird coloration on the hammerhead photo, I swear it didn't look like that in photoshop. Will upload a better picture when I have time.

Return to “Project Logs”