nix0n's "The Unknown" Cadre [WIP log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Knives
Shas'Saal

Re: nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post#73 » Aug 31 2017 04:34

Yeah burn out sucks. Sorry to hear Tael, that you have to schedule hobby times. Never had to actively schedule fun in before.

Lucky for me right now my leg muscles are torn. And I have the month off work. So lots of free time to model.

I find small goals to be helpful. On my current project log.

I find that I'm more burned out from doing to much hobbying.

The best solution I found was don't always finish one model at a time. Batch paint and finish fine details as the very last thing. Switch to new units often and go back to unfinished minis later.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#74 » Oct 01 2017 11:49

September flew past just like that.
I decided to post a small update for myself to log the ideas I have tried so far.

Here are some new test schemes I've been trying and pondering on what to go with. I never had such hard time previously on just choosing one scheme and start painting the miniatures.

On the bright side this has encouraged me to try variety of other paint manufacturers and types. Right now trying out Vallejo Model Air paints and these are pretty nifty. As they are so thin you can even apply the paint with a brush straght from the pot. Also I have been more liberal in trying out different shades of the Model Color series which are overwhelmingly vast which isn't helping on sticking to an actual scheme :P

My plan for October: Get at least five fire warriors painted in their final scheme and start on assembling a five man team of pathfinders for varietys sake.

That's it for today.
Thanks for coming by :D
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#75 » Oct 01 2017 05:22

Your shading in the armour grooves is superb! Mine pales in comparrison :P I'm very impressed, and await more images of progress :D
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#76 » Oct 01 2017 09:17

I'm definitely liking the centre model, really good contrast between the shdes of brown and the Grey skull cap just finishes it off well :)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#77 » Oct 02 2017 02:53

Thank you Tael and Bloodknife for your generous comments!

Bloodknife92 wrote:Your shading in the armour grooves is superb! Mine pales in comparrison :P I'm very impressed, and await more images of progress :D

On which one particularly? If you are talking about the two on the left then the trick is that I generously diluted the balck wash with some thinner medium to apply it lightly to the whole miniature. One coat isn't enough so I've tried about two equal mixtures of coats(1:2 ratio wash/medium). What this does that the dark pooling doesn't appear on the flatter surfaces so strong but just lightly darkens it to give a grimey/worn look.
I could have done another coat to give the armor grooves much more definition but at that point I'd have to layer some more of the actual armor color on top while avoiding those crevices which I am not good at.

Tael wrote:I'm definitely liking the centre model, really good contrast between the shdes of brown and the Grey skull cap just finishes it off well :)

I agree Tael. I am really happy that I tried to mirror the colors and try out different helmet color variations. And the center one sure speaks to me the most. Also the rifle will be painted in the same gray to balance out 50/50 with tan and grey colors (hopefully this will end up looking good).
I am mostly settled on colors and a single scheme so after one last paint stripping round I am confident to start painting my Fire Warriors with a clear goal! :D
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#78 » Oct 02 2017 03:15

Nah I was talking about the one on the right.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#79 » Oct 02 2017 03:37

Bloodknife92 wrote:Nah I was talking about the one on the right.

Oh that one?! Yeah that was completely pain in the back! And I am not really sure if I am ready to accomplish such task again any time soon. Thanks to Arka's guide I was able to neaten up the leg panels but that took way too much time and nerves. To achieve any decent result with that technique I think it is too time consuming for such a massable unit.

There is something what I want to try on my "easier/faster" method is that when I mix the 1:2 wash light wash mixture I add a drop of soapy water to break up the water tension. What people have told me that the mixture will flow much more naturally to the deeper details of the miniature leaving the even surfaces almost without any wash, and so the darker tones will concentrate in the crevices without me touching up those smaller panels with anything else.
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#80 » Oct 02 2017 05:16

nix0n wrote:
Bloodknife92 wrote:Nah I was talking about the one on the right.

Oh that one?! Yeah that was completely pain in the back! And I am not really sure if I am ready to accomplish such task again any time soon. Thanks to Arka's guide I was able to neaten up the leg panels but that took way too much time and nerves. To achieve any decent result with that technique I think it is too time consuming for such a massable unit.

There is something what I want to try on my "easier/faster" method is that when I mix the 1:2 wash light wash mixture I add a drop of soapy water to break up the water tension. What people have told me that the mixture will flow much more naturally to the deeper details of the miniature leaving the even surfaces almost without any wash, and so the darker tones will concentrate in the crevices without me touching up those smaller panels with anything else.

I'd love to see how that turns out :)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#81 » Oct 03 2017 02:06

How are liking the full wash compared to just washing/ inking the recesses?

You can also achieve loads of shading using gradients. A tutorial could help if you go that route.

I like the ink/wash on the far right. But my only issue is the left over ink. On the hands and helmet etc.

Now you can remove this or paint over top. Both have an interesting effect. Depending on the type of paint and it's translucency.

Hopefully the advice is helpful in getting exactly what you want from your model.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#82 » Oct 09 2017 01:57

Quick update with some photos of new scheme!

Yes :D I am somewhat happy with getting some work done, finally! The scheme/colors is/are mostly solid and this time I am not going back.
The two miniatures in the front are the ones that I have worked the most on and are 60% ready. I'd believe that all is left from a finished mini is Karak Stone light drybrysh/edge higlight on the beige armor panels as well as Dawnstone highlight on the helmet, arms, lenses (having trouble of finding an appropriate complementary color for the whole scheme) and a base which will be... I'm not yet sure :P

Fire warriors are a pain in the bum to paint! So many clean lines and edges to follow for achieving a nice look (eg. those god damn leg armor panels)! To make them "pop" a bit more I am planning on settling with a white/bone white sept color. Don't really care which sept it will represent it's more like just a squad marking than anything else.
Lenses are a hard one since I find it hard to find a good cemplementing color for the main armor color. In the pictures the color of the beige/khaki/tan armor is really tricky to capture (it looks more greenish in person). The paints I have used are Vallejos Model Air line's US Sand and IDF Sinai Grey for the soft armor. The helmet is Mechanicus Standard Grey. The tone difference between the US Sand and IDF Sinai Grey are really minute but thats the look I am going for. Minimalistic and urban-esk look. The soft armor will be probably shaded down more with some nuln oil to get a bit more contrast between the two really similar tones.

My goal is to get the four models in the background to the same stage as these two in the front and start to paint the rifles, support hands and the shoulder pads so I would at least have a team of six warriors ready by the end of this month.

I would love to hear your comments!
Cheers!
Nix

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#83 » Oct 09 2017 02:32

nix0n wrote:Lenses are a hard one since I find it hard to find a good cemplementing color for the main armor color.

The models look good, I like the additional pouches, gives a utilitarian look. As for the lenses, not sure it's complementing colour, but as I read that I just thought purple... being dark it wouldn't pop much, but would look nice when you look around at the details. Or maybe dark green... heh artistic license! Try out a couple and make your choice.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#84 » Oct 10 2017 05:04

I'm a big fan of a blue lens for natural colour palettes. Red would also work on these if you wanted them to standout more, but would look a bit more on the sinister side. I'm not so sure that greens, yellows or purples would sit well. I think yellow is too close and will clash. Purple would work better if the main armour colour was grey and green just seems wrong to my eye. If you really can't make up your mind though do a dot of white in a top corner (I'd go left) then a slightly larger one in the opposite bottom one over a black base then sit a droplet of gloss varnish over the top.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#85 » Oct 10 2017 07:58

Thank you n1md4 and Darklighter on your feedback.

I agree on the blue lenses. It's a simple color that in my mind fits all Tau units no matter the scheme. But I would love to add some contrast or so called play with colors with adding unusual tone for the lenses. A dark red look would be really menacing and effective although not really practical from a "tactical" standpoint.
I'm sure I'll come up with something :D

Regarding the utilitarian look I was really keen on the idea of adding a more geared up tacticoolish look for the infantry but quickly came to realization that Fire Warriors don't really have that much "real estate" to gear them up to your liking. The weapon that they carry covers majority of the abdominal area and the pouches really get trapped under the rifle and not that visible to the viewer.
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#86 » Oct 10 2017 08:14

Yeah I'd say either red or blue for the lenses.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#87 » Oct 14 2017 06:24

Got another blue lense from me too. Also, that chest groove seems like it was always meant for those extra pouches.

The team looks great, like a serious arid Ops crew. That grey cap, now seen as a group, really pins the model down from being too bright due to the lighter armor. Also, in a way it makes sense, the dark dome won't reflect as much as a light colour carapace - seems, more.. tactical? :D

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#88 » Oct 25 2017 02:08

Hooo... gosh what a day!

I have finally "finished" my first Fire Warrior with a scheme that I am really happy with. All what is left is to glue it all together (arms and a shoulder pad), decide on the sept/squad markings, and base it. Other wise the scheme is ready and this is how the rest of the nine warriors should look like. Finishing them all is going to take me weeks! Since this one took me a whole day to get to this stage.
Some of you voted on blue lenses and I thought that was a good Idea. I wanted to make them more unnatural looking to break the whole "tactical" theme and give the miniature just that "pop" as some people like to call it. I, myself am really happy how this turned out. Yesterday I went out to grab the necessary paints but decided to try out more of the Army Painter line. If anyone is interested the paints I used for the lenses are in this order (from base color to the last detail):
-Naggaroth Night (GW)
-Viking Blue (Army Painter, got this blue just because of the name :P )
-Troglodyte Blue (Army Painter)
-Matt White (Army Painter, chose this one since all the other whites were sold out in my local hobby store)

These colors will be used across my whole T'au army with everything that should look like a lens or an some sort of an optic. I hope it will look good on some of the bigger models to give them a nice contrast.

Oh the last but not least! The pictures of the finished product (greatest pictures not guaranteed).
Yes, the finish ain't the smoothest one and looks somewhat dusty... But that is only visible in these closeup pictures. As a single model viewed from a typical height during a game it's more than perfect! And that's enough for me. The real struggle is that I am really slow and can't come up with a technique to speed up my painting process without it getting real messy... At the end I am spending hours on fixing up all my mistakes which is one of the reasons why the coverage is a bit on the lumpy side.

Hope you enjoyed!
See you next time when some more of these bad boys will be painted and probably based too!
Last edited by nix0n on Nov 03 2017 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Nix

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#89 » Oct 25 2017 02:12

Yeah liking that - making the rifle grey too is a smart idea, as it can dominate the model in lighter shades. It's a nice atypical scheme. Look forward to the full la'rua done up :D

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "The Unknown" Carde[WIP log]

Post#90 » Nov 03 2017 07:51

Small update just to log in some of my thoughts and ideas.

The progress is slow due to my tendency to try new things out and back out with a tedious clean up process. This time it was sept markings on the rifle and helmet. The markings were so horrendous that taking pictures of the end result didn't even come up to my mind. So here are the miniatures after some clean/touch ups with the second battle buddy ready to go.

I decided that the sept markings just are not worth the trouble and time to put on these guys (it already took me way too long to finish another fire warrior).
In some cases these bright subtle lines give nice contrast to the army but not with these models. The plan was to use bleached bone color to mark squad markings on the warriors but in the end that didn't look that great in my opinion, no matter the color choice... Bright contrasting markings are too revealing for such a realistic color scheme and even painting some with much more toned down colors would make the miniatures too busy and/or messy in my opinion.

These thoughts brought back the original idea that I went with while painting my "veteran" fire warriors. The armor is so badly worn out that any traces of the original sept markings are gone. Some weathering will be done for these new warriors no doubt ,but not in a such aggressive way.
All this had me thinking how fitting this is! Now that our future codex book will have different faction traits I can without any worry say that in a game A my units represent T'au sept while in another game B they will be Sa'Cea (and so on) without feeling bad for having a non fitting sept color marking.
Hence the change of the Carde name in the project log title.

Here is a comparison picture of the old "veteran" warriors next to the latest scheme. They look different but that is the point of the new reinforcement troops to be even more prepared and adaptive in the ever changing battlefield.

That's pretty much it. I'd better get back into painting these guys...
Thanks for coming along with this painting journey of mine :D´

EDIT: Looks like I am unable to change the "subject" name while writing a new post... The new cadre name is "The Unkown" and yeah it is kinda cheesy.
Last edited by nix0n on Nov 17 2017 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Nix

Return to “Project Logs”