nix0n's "The Unknown" Cadre [WIP log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "The Unknown" Carde[WIP log]

Post#91 » Nov 05 2017 05:33

Slow progress but well worth it! Enviable painting from you there; work like this makes me want to go back and re-paint everything in my collection...

nix0n wrote:...EDIT: Looks like I am unable to change the "subject" name while writing a new post... The new cadre name is "The Unkown" and yeah it is kinda cheesy.

I have also struggled with this in the past: try changing the title of your first post

Looking forward to more

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "The Unknown" Carde[WIP log]

Post#92 » Nov 05 2017 06:10

Ironsky wrote:Slow progress but well worth it! Enviable painting from you there; work like this makes me want to go back and re-paint everything in my collection...

Really strong words right there Ironsky. I know that feeling...
But to be honest your cadre has been one of crucial parts with inspiring me to start painting my minis in an arid theme. Although your color choices are absolutely amazing I didn't want to copy them one to one so I had to come up with something of my own.
I would really like you to keep your original painted minis as they have some meaning to me now :D

Also I am really thankful for your tip! The title has been once again changed :P
Cheers!
Nix

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "The Unknown" Cadre [WIP log]

Post#93 » Nov 05 2017 12:15

Well I guess I'll have to leave them as they are then...
Thanks nix0n :)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#94 » Nov 17 2017 03:07

Definitely liking the new scheme by comparison. Top stuff and great to see the progession :)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#95 » Nov 23 2017 07:29

:biggrin:

:D :D

I have no idea why I am so excited as my painting progress has been painfully slow lately but I just managed to purchase a complete Fire Warrior set from a second hand Kill Team box! I thought that would be a great deal as I am so obsessed with T'au troops and it was half off from the original troop set price (bought the sprews for 20€).

I think this is a great addition to my collection as I have been planning to field mostly multiple six man teams of fire warriors to fit with my older two "veteran" teams of six.

The rest of the parts will be probably built as breachers or saved for future gue'la conversions.

I am still planning on purchasing at least another SC! box for the sake of it's value but won't be building or painting any infantry models since I am getting slowly but surely fed up with these guys :P ... I am hoping that pathfinders will give some change and I'll be more eager to try out a different paint scheme/process for these guys (maybe something more quicker and messier with dry brushing and washes).

Here's a quick glimpse of what I am trying to work on for this Sunday as I have set myself a deadline on Omnyou's motivation service discussion. My goal wasn't anything great and special but I am feeling really happy for how I was able to squeeze in another fire warrior for my goal!
These two guys painted will get me my first fully painted six man fire team to support my "veterans", yay!

Thanks for reading!
Cheers!
Nix

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#96 » Nov 23 2017 09:29

nix0n wrote:... I am so obsessed with T'au troops

Likewise, I scavenge all of mine from eBay, but the sentiment is the same :fear: For the Greater Good

Great looking paint job to boot! :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#97 » Nov 23 2017 12:28

Just have to say - those lenses really pop! what blues are you using?

Great work as always and looking forward to pathfinders!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#98 » Nov 23 2017 01:29

Thank you very much!!

Ironsky wrote:Just have to say - those lenses really pop! what blues are you using?

The blue colors I have previously mentioned on this log :) they are from the Army Painter range: Viking Blue for the deeper one and Troglodyte Blue for the lighter one. I barely fiddle with any mixing at all so it is pretty much only these two blues used on a black/dark purple base with a white glint for the lenses.

I hope this helps.

First squad pic hopefully coming this weekend and also first assembled pathfinders.

Thank you guys!
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#99 » Nov 26 2017 09:58

Progress check.

This post is just to log the progress of what has been achieved by now. Not quite much but better than nothing.
My first "new" six man strike team is ready. And here is a group photo of everything that has been (re)painted after the revival of this cadre. The basing is not done on every miniature but I feel like there is no hurry with that. What worries me though is the paint job lasting... I'm hesitant on applying any varnish in the fear of screwing up and "frosting" the miniature (was it spray or brush on varnish). I have purchased A&K Ultra Matte brush on varnish and a can of Army Painter's Anti Shine both of which had frosted my test miniatures. Any tips in this regard are more than welcome.

What else is there? Well... a lot! Here is a list of projects that are awaiting for me.
- another six man strike team (four models unpainted and two more will be assembled from the second hand sprews)
- a whole pathfinder team (kinda stuck with these guys since I am not sure how I want to configure them and if magnetization is a good idea for such a small miniature)
- Cadre Fireblade with slight customizations
- custom kitbashed Darkstrider
- converted ethereal with battle armor (just to not look so out of place in this cadre)
- custom build DS8 Missile Pod turrets, one turret for each strike team (since the original design looks lazy and unpolished imo I'm planning on building these models with a "one time use" mortar-ish look in mind)
- two devilfishes, one is unassembled the other still untouched by a brush (I'm afraid these guys will wait for a while until I get myself an airbrush workstation set up)¨
- two XV25 Shas'Uis with their magnetized weapon choices.

For now I think that I will concentrate mainly on infantry and stealth suits until the codex release. After our codex drops I will have a better understanding what to go for with heavier units (Hammerhead, XV-88s, Commanders or more XV-8s).

Thanks for coming along so far! :)
Cheers!
Nix

Rizzle
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#100 » Nov 26 2017 10:49

I wasn't entirely sold on the scheme on the work in progress models, but I really like how the whole thing ties together on a finished model. Great work!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#101 » Dec 05 2017 12:32

That's really looking good man :D Definite unity there.

As for AK - I tend to give the bottle a great shake for half a minute (while lining up models at the same time) and then put down a dot which I lightly dip a brush through and begin applying.

The moment the dot of fluid begins to dry on the palette, make a new one.

Any chalkiness in creases and seams, I use a light diluted wash of the base colour at that area - this works really well, and bonus, AK matte finish still comes back (without chalkiness).

hope that helps :)

IceFall
Shas

Post#102 » Dec 05 2017 05:29

With regards to the Varnishing question:

I use Vallejo SATIN varnish (applied diluted to the right consistency through an airbrush).

Like you the matt varnish deadens my model so I experimented. It worked well, I found it is also extremely good at hiding the shine from decals while remaining true to the original paint look and feel:

Before (trying as hard as I can to highlight the decal with a lamp):

After (trying as hard as I can to highlight the decal with a lamp):

That is only 1 coat - no frosting and staying true to the paint in look at feel - not deadened and not glossed.

edit: sorry not the exact same model, but still runs true :)
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#103 » Dec 08 2017 01:12

Nice example and explanation, thank you Icefall :)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#104 » Dec 09 2017 08:46

Thanks to everyone for solid advice regarding varnishes!

I just arrived back home from abroad and wasn't able to comment back earlier (mobile browser version is so clunky that writing even a simple response on my phone screen would have been disastrous) :D

I will start with Tael's advice and try out again the A&K Matte Varnish on my older veteran models. If that turns out way too subdued then I'll try some Vallejo alternatives.

IceFall I am really thankful for your in depth explanations on how your satin varnish works although I am not too sure when I will have the privilege to add an airbrush to my hobby arsenal. Would the same satin varnish work with brush on application?

Thanks again everybody!

I'll soon get back into progressing my army further forward.
Cheers!
Nix

Return to “Project Logs”