nix0n's "The Unknown" Cadre [WIP log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Battle scarred Tau warriors (WIP, awaiting for reinforcements)

Post#37 » Jun 18 2017 11:04

All good man, its what the Project Logs are all about. Folks read them and if something sparks, they'll chime in :)

Yeah, Vallejo greys can be very tonally close. You have to watch that. It comes from them being set shading ranges for uniforms etc.

Their black is wonderful, so I can understand your love of it.

I actually picked up Eshin Grey recently as I can get hold of that exact Vallejo locally either. It certainly is a good replacement for now. :)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Jun 25 2017 11:22

Sooo... Something really unexpected happened. While moving my older firewarrior models out of the way I noticed that from one of the models the gun arm just popped off. To my suprise it didn't break off at the seam but right next to it at the shoulder... It seemed like the plastic got dry and really fragile/crumbly :eek:
Luckily this happened to my carbine miniature and this unfortunate event encouraged me to replace the carbines to rifles to every model since with 8th edition pulse carbines really don't look like a viable option to outfit infantry with anymore (and I just like the look of the rifles much more).

I think this is really nice. While I am waiting on the paints to restock at my local hobby store I've got a nifty side project to complete. Here is a quick snap of my preperations for the new task. The contact parts have been cleaned and fortunately enough I found enough of my spare rifle arms! YAY!
After dryfitting and trying out which arm fits good I am now ready to start priming and painting the rifles with my older scheme/paints.
I am not sure if posting more about this topic is necessary but I feel like this was worth adding to this log.

Now I will have two six man fire teams of Warriors with rifles. I feel like this was a great mishap :D

I do also have a question for you. What would help to avoid this kind of breakage happening again? The miniatures aren't coated with any final varnish coat. Could that be the reason why the plastic got so dry and poorest? What matte lacquers would you guys recommend to finish the miniatures with (what do you personnaly use and where to get one from)?
Thank you.

Thanks for reading!
Until next time (when I'll finally get some new paints).
Last edited by nix0n on Nov 28 2017 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Nix

GreenMan
Shas

Post#39 » Jun 25 2017 03:20

nix0n wrote: I do also have a question for you. What would help to avoid this kind of breakage happening again?

Where do you store your models? Are they ever left in full sun? I don't know if it effects GW plastic but I've had Lego models perish due to standing on a window sill.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#40 » Jun 26 2017 03:42

These models were mostly kept in a box away from the elements. For the last month they have been staying on my shelf away from direct sunlight. Could a coat or two of matt varnish fix this?
What are your thoughts?
Cheers!
Nix

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#41 » Jun 30 2017 05:24

That is really bizarre. Not sure what to say. :-?

As for varnishing, I've come to swear by this matte finish: AK Interactive Ultra Matte Varnish. Its brilliant.

I've linked to an instagram post I made about it with an example :)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post#42 » Jul 23 2017 11:46

For some reason I feel like this post is far long over due. But does it really matter? Does anybody care? I don't think so.

The past few weeks have been a huge burden (yeah yeah, excuses excuses) and progress has been slow. Here I got my very first squad finally somewhat done (only basing and varnish left but that's not a big deal for me). The guys with carbines have been now re-equpped with standard issue pulse rifles and squad leaders have received dated versions of the markerlights to support their brothers (yes... it's just an underslung granade launcher from the carbine stuck on top of the rifle to make it look like an extended markelight-ish device for the sight, it actually looks pretty good in person).

I can finally set these guys aside and start working on my new models which I've been doing with somewhat great success. Although it's just only one model under work I am still happy with what I have achieved. The original paint scheme has changed only slightly since I was not happy with the black underarmor/uniform and decided to stay consistently with a brown one and I couldn't be any happier with how it looks.

Also found some great bits from my local miniature shop and decided that this WW1 American Troops Accessory set should do the trick. And I think it did! I am eager to hear you opinions on this slight "conversion" if I shall say so. It takes a bit of fiddling with the positioning of the nads but other wise it actually looks pretty decent on a model even though the rifle covers most of the torso. Also excuse me for my thick paint application but that's what you get when you can't decide on which color you would like to stay so it takes a lot of coats to make up with your mind. I guess I'm happy with what I am currently seeing... I guess...

This wouldn't be a complete post of mine without some questions. The AK Interactive varnish which I got is not working as I was hoping for. I am 100% sure that the problem is with me and my way of applying it. No matter how much I dillute the matte varnidh with water or vallejo thinner medium I still get frosted effect on some of the deeper parts of the miniature. I have tried to applya some extremely thin coats of varnish but no success... Thankfully I've done this only to my old Space Marine models so I really don't care too much for them. Anyways feel free to toss me a few comments on what the heck I am doing wrong.

Thank you everybody for reading!
Until next time
Cheers!
Nix

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#43 » Jul 23 2017 12:02

Not sure if it will help but for matte varnishing I use testor's dullcoat. Spray it outside, let it dry inside, never had it frost. Doesn't change the look of the model at all in my opinion.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#44 » Jul 23 2017 10:51

EDIT - I had posted about the same brand - but realised you didnt like the results!

My only thoughts are a light wash after application if your are getting chalkiness. Or perhaps a heavy shake up. I occaisionally get this but either former methods leave great results in case of issues. Quite surprised this has been issue! :sad:

Really liking the chest pouches idea - very combat operator vibe :D

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#45 » Jul 29 2017 09:45

Small assembly update.

Hopefully these guys will be basecoated and ready for tomorrow's painting session.
So far I am really liking how these pouches are working out. Sure it took some compromises such as filing the bit down to fit the arms properly (far left mini) and over all lowering the placements of the pouches on the abdomen/belt area (so long to the à la chest-rig look). But as Tael has mentioned the look I was hoping to acheve was more militaristic/operator style to give these guys a more battle hardened look on the field. Sure not every model will have these gear pieces clearly visible which is not a problem for me. As long as I know that these guys are equipped for some real warfare.

Some of the people at the local gaming store mentioned that they are getting some strong WW1 or WW2 vibes from this look which is funny because these parts are from an WW1 type infantry set. Why I am mentioning this is that I am coming up with some crazy ideas and back story for my infantry. As some one also mentioned on my older battle damaged fire warriors that they look like they have been fighting for weeks straight in the trenches. This and the latest painting scheme really fits this idea. The fact that my fire warriors will be having mostly tan helmet rifle and shoulder pad explains that these parts are mostly visible while peeking out of the cover. Why is the color tan? Well I guess it's the one of the most universal colors to blend in majority of battle environments (such as dried up or muddy trences or even abandoned covered in ash city ruins). And for some reason all this combined just speaks to me "WW1".
I think it is a pretty funny idea or a way of thinking and definitely suits Tau infantry in my mind (entrenched, hiding in the ruins to open a devastating wall of pulse blasts).

Note that some of these parts are not completely ready and need a lot of cleaning up still. Hopefully this will be all ready soon for priming.

Thank you for reading!
Until next time
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#46 » Jul 29 2017 11:17

Welp, it's kinda messed up...
I just had a quick run to basecoat my warriors with mechanicus standard grey spray and after a few coats I took a closer look. yep, I got the damn grainy effect onto the models... I don't know what went wrong. Temperature was just right. Sprayed with small bursts from up to 20cm and had them in shadow away from the sun (humidity couldn't be a problem it was a dry week lately).

This. This is disappointing. Tried my best to prep the minis for a top painting condition and this is what I get.

:-(

I, don't know what happened... And I am surely bummed about this. A quick search on the web only suggests to strip the primer and spray again but those solvents mentioned aren't available in my local area or even the country! Also I would like to keep the plastic miniatures in top condition, so pretty much away from any solvents... Not sure how the other paint layers will cover this "texture" but I guess pretty poorly.
Today is a heck of a rollercoaster day.
Cheers!
Nix

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#47 » Jul 29 2017 03:09

Everyone gets bogged down at times. I've got two or three old logs on here that haven't been updated in forever. Now that I'm getting back into the hobby, I'm hoping to consolidate and start catching up again. Just picked up a squad of Fire Warriors that are going to be some Spec Ops Breachers, and seeing stuff like yours makes me super exciting to work on them.

Keep on keeping on.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#48 » Jul 29 2017 05:45

I love your work nix0n :) I worry about your Fire Warriors with the waist pouches making it harder for you to put their arms on. Fire Warrior arms are fairly close to the body. I'm sure you've planned everything well enough though :)
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#49 » Jul 30 2017 03:52

Its difficult to see the full effect from the picture, but I frequently get a rougher finish from undercoating than I'd like. This has never been too much of a problem. Take a small scrap of your finest grade sand paper to the worst effected areas then paint (at least that's how I deal with this).

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#50 » Jul 30 2017 06:03

Thank you guys for the uplifting comments. This helps me to cope with my shortcomings with this p-log quite a lot!
The Citadel spray kept leaving that grainy effect on the models even though I sprayed from a closer distanse to prevent the spray dry up before hitting the model's surfce. What actually helped on fixing the texture was to take an old toothbrush and rub it on the sprayed miniatures. I had to rub for quite a while but ended up with somewhat decent results and actually dared to start layering other paints!

Bloodknife92 wrote:I love your work nix0n :) I worry about your Fire Warriors with the waist pouches making it harder for you to put their arms on. Fire Warrior arms are fairly close to the body. I'm sure you've planned everything well enough though :)

No worries Bloodknife92, I've been planning and testing the poses with blue tack for way too long and actually figured out how to fit majority of the hand poses. Sure I had to make some compromises as previously mentioned on how high up on the body the puches fit and also some of the rifles and arm pieces had to be filed down just a tad from the inside portion so it won't be actually visible at all.

Sa'cea Mont'yr wrote:Everyone gets bogged down at times. I've got two or three old logs on here that haven't been updated in forever. Now that I'm getting back into the hobby, I'm hoping to consolidate and start catching up again. Just picked up a squad of Fire Warriors that are going to be some Spec Ops Breachers, and seeing stuff like yours makes me super exciting to work on them.

Keep on keeping on.

I am really happy to hear that my work has encouraged you to start planning on some new and really exciting troops! I would love to see what you will come up with since my next infantry team will probably be Breachers and I am currently in progress to find some appropriate accessory bits for them.
Cheers!
Nix

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#51 » Aug 01 2017 03:27

Oh man - this happens at times due to humidity issues also. There has been some great advice and glad you're soldiering on :D

Funny story about the combat pouches! (WW2) :D

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#52 » Aug 01 2017 06:01

If you do wan't to strip models, I've found that Dawn Power Dissolver is the final word in stripping acrylic paints of models. Was a top tip from the local GW manager a few years back. I've never gone back to the simple green nonsense. Spray on. Wait 2 minutes, quick scrub with old toothbrush, rinse. Might require a quick second over for deep crevasses. Never seen it damage the plastic.

Wear rubber gloves, it will burn your hands if left on it too long.

If you do a google search for "dawn power dissolver" the bottle comes up, I'm used to using the mostly blue bottle, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be for sale anymore, there is now a white bottle that appears to be the same thing, potentially re-branded because they deemed it too powerful for home use (not sure?) I haven't tried that yet, but I will be soon as I have some firewarriors that need a good cleaning soon for the painting plate.

Edit: Given the fact that the white bottle is labeled: "Danger, causes severe skin burns and serious eye damage" I'm inclined to think it will work just as well.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#53 » Aug 01 2017 06:35

Antao wrote:If you do wan't to strip models, I've found that Dawn Power Dissolver is the final word in stripping acrylic paints of models. Was a top tip from the local GW manager a few years back. I've never gone back to the simple green nonsense. Spray on. Wait 2 minutes, quick scrub with old toothbrush, rinse. Might require a quick second over for deep crevasses. Never seen it damage the plastic.

Wear rubber gloves, it will burn your hands if left on it too long.

If you do a google search for "dawn power dissolver" the bottle comes up, I'm used to using the mostly blue bottle, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be for sale anymore, there is now a white bottle that appears to be the same thing, potentially re-branded because they deemed it too powerful for home use (not sure?) I haven't tried that yet, but I will be soon as I have some firewarriors that need a good cleaning soon for the painting plate.

Edit: Given the fact that the white bottle is labeled: "Danger, causes severe skin burns and serious eye damage" I'm inclined to think it will work just as well.

Sounds about as effective as bio-ethanol. You don't really have to let the model soak there either. And you don't HAVE to wear rubber gloves...I just recommend it because the taste of alcohol won't leave your skin for a while and preparing dinner might be awkward lol

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#54 » Aug 01 2017 07:44

Did you use Corax white spray. I had that issue. Fix is to clean your nozzle with test spray. Email gw and send them pics. They should replace your models.

Return to “Project Logs”