nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post#1 » May 20 2017 02:16

Hello masterminds of the ATT community!

I am very thankful for the warm welcome and after many years of lurking on your forum sites I decided to join your ranks.

Currently I'm in progress of getting back into the hobby and was able to finish some of my old miniatures. It was a long and tedious process of starting with stripping the paint off of the models I decided to keep. Everything else, gone.

This is what I have ended up keeping:
- 6 FW with rifles, all painted
- 6 FW with carbines, all painted (converted to rifles)
- 6 XV25's (team leaders are yet to be magnetized), 2/6 painted
- 6 Kroots with a converted Shaper, two hounds and a Krootox, all somewhat painted
- D'Fish, yet to be painted
- A bunch of drones, yet to be painted

I would love to share my work and hear your opinions, advice and over all comments. I am still struggling coming up with a scheme I would like and use throughout my future models. For these older miniatures I ended up using my old survived paints (which limited me with the scheme).

This is how it all started. I opted for a semi urban-y scheme. One of my main inspirations was the spider tank at the end of the Ghost in the shell anime film.

It was this moment when I decided that I will definitely not enjoy looking at my horrendous enge highlight during games so decided to add some deliberate weathering effects. This was my first time trying out such technique (by using sponge) but to my surprise I was really happy how it turned out.

These FW's are the first ones I ever assembled. The original paint scheme is long gone and I am honeslty relieved by that (I still have my first painted SM models saved to remind me where it all started, so no worries). So, the really battle worn looks would really fit them as they have been through a lot and would stand out quite well among the others (newer) models and show their experience throught the years.

Next up the XV25's! These models were painted with the most recent Citadel paint range and I am quite happy that the paints are somewhat close to mine (although I also used Citadel/GW paints but the older paint range).
I decided to keep trying out new methods of painting scrathces, chipping, and other kind of weathering effects. Also tried out some new color combinations but kept the main khaki color.

So far that's it... I would dig out my kroot and publish them here if you so desire.

Currently my situation with painting any new models is halted. Due to my hectic summer schedule I am not sure how regularly I will be able to update this topic. So far I have to come up with a solid plan for a scheme and stick with it. Get the appropriate paints and just hope that I will be alble to purchase some new Start Collecting! packs...

I hope this was an enjoyable post to read and the miniatures looked even half decent.
Unitl next time.

EDIT: Small updates, spelling
Last edited by nix0n on Aug 09 2017 08:34, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers!
Nix

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Battle scarred Tau warriors (WIP awaiting for new models)

Post#2 » May 22 2017 01:59

Thee are looking really good! I always like to see Kroot, so definitely post pictures of those!

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » May 22 2017 03:19

Looking really nice. I am a big fan of weathering and need to do more of it when I get back to painting

DietOfLiquor
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » May 22 2017 04:09

Wow man! Stuff is looking great!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » May 23 2017 09:26

Thank you everyone for kind compliments! I was fortunate enough to find my long forgotten Kroot from darkest depths of my closet. Here are some of the painted miniatures that I will not be letting go of.

My self made Shaper to lead the pack. Just greenstuffed him a coif/mask and decided to glue a chainsword at the end of the rifle to differentiate him better from the rest of the team. Please note that these models are actually painted and assembled just before I had to halt my hobby (about 6-7 years ago actually :eek: )

Rest of the painted unit

the rest of the Kroot pack have sufferend some horrendous greenstuff "conversion" anomalies and I am happy to hear that they are soon about to find their new home/owner.

Also a great news! I found my long forgotten Fireblade! Yes :D I've planned some light conversions for this guy but can't make them happen until I've gotten at least one Strike team pack or a Start Collecting box. I'm hoping getting one rather soon.

That's it so far. This whole "project" might seem like a lack luster (I'm staring to doublt myself if posting this specificly to this category was a mistake)... We'll see how this wil turn out!

Until next time!
Cheers
Nix
Cheers!
Nix

Wierzbicki17
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » May 23 2017 11:20

Really like the carbon build up at the end of the rifles and the corrosion on armor! Well done!! That paint scheme will look great in the new 8th edition city fighting

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » May 24 2017 12:35

Wierzbicki17 wrote:Really like the carbon build up at the end of the rifles and the corrosion on armor! Well done!! That paint scheme will look great in the new 8th edition city fighting

I am really thankful for the kind compliments which I really did not expect.

Here's the whole squad ready to fight. Unfortunately the basing isn't done for every model since I don't own any texture paints myself
Cheers!
Nix

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Re: Battle scarred Tau warriors (WIP, awaiting for reinforcements)

Post#8 » May 24 2017 12:53

How did you get such a good 'grubby' effect on their armour? Looks like they have been having a tough time in the trenches

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » May 24 2017 01:36

Pyropower wrote:How did you get such a good 'grubby' effect on their armour? Looks like they have been having a tough time in the trenches

I'm surprised how my humble weathering technique is getting so much praise...
I mainly used three different ways of adding grime and damage to the armor.
First of all I started with stormvermin fur applying it with a sponge. The sponge was less than ideal so achieving the chipped effect didn't turn out that great.
So the second way of applying some of random sploches of dirt was using a small drybrush (or any other stiff brush with short bristles) and tap some dry paint all over the desired parts.
Last stage is applying sudden splooches of agrag earthshade to like armor is corroded or just covered in filth.
Also what I have done is to add some glanced hits onto the armor wiht bright silver since I didn't any other color on hand. That effect didn't turn out that well and isn't really that good looking... but what is done is done.

I hope this helps :)
Cheers!
Nix

Pyropower
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » May 24 2017 02:40

That's brilliant thank you very much. I will have to write these down so that I don't forget where to find them.
Its going to be a while until I am back with my models again :(

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » May 24 2017 02:59

I'm glad to hear that I was able to help you. I am looking forward seeing your work with this kind of technique/effect.
Feel free to post some of your pictures here.
I hope you'll get to your models soon ;)
Cheers!
Nix

DietOfLiquor
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » May 24 2017 09:01

Kroot and FireWarriors look great! Can't wait to see more!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » May 26 2017 05:03

At last! My first army purchase in years!

I was tempted on starting assebly right away with the Breachers but then decided to wait a little and settle on the paints I am going to need first. Also ended up with with an idea of assembling Strike team with rifles first since it's never too bad to have more of the basic troops.

But yes :P the first batch of reinforcements have finally arrived and I am really impressed on the new sculpts and mould quailty after a quick glance of the sprews. I think that acquiring some proper tools like mouldline remover and a small hand drill would be a great investment since I will try my first time on magnetizing the XV8's and achieving the most clean look for the miniatures without any seam lines (ugh!)

Also I dug out the rest of my Stealth team and here you can have a look at my previous shceme which was a complete disaster (the two miniatures on the right).

These two XV25's are going to be stripped and re-basecoated. Will try some new color combinations for them. As for the two on the left, those are the team leaders and will have theri first (and mine too) magnetizing experience.

Unfortunately these next two weeks are going to be really stressful and hurrysome. The end of studies, application for another studies and beginning my work are going to get my full attention first. Until I will settle down I can't start working on any miniatures...

Nevertheless I am eager to start trying out new methods of painting the Fire Warriors. The sub assembly painting techique itrigues me and suits my style. I will mainly consentrate on a couple of miniatures at a time, assembling and painting first the legs, torso and head (maybe backpack) after which I will do arms and the shoulder pad separate too.
I am hoping to find and learn more of such tips from this community but unsure if I will have the time to fully dedicate myself among the work and exams.

Until next time!
Cheers
Nix
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » May 26 2017 06:09

I recently bought the Start Collecting box, and I still haven't opened it :D I'm super keen to though! I won't be putting the Ethereal's hover drone on the flag thing its meant to be on. What I plan to do instead, is drop the flag altogether and instead mount it onto the smallest flying stem I can, and mount that stem onto the base provided with the Ethereal.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » May 27 2017 02:08

Bloodknife92 wrote:I won't be putting the Ethereal's hover drone on the flag thing its meant to be on. What I plan to do instead, is drop the flag altogether and instead mount it onto the smallest flying stem I can, and mount that stem onto the base provided with the Ethereal.

That's an amazing idea! And you don't have to sacrifice any drone/flying bases either! I would love to try this out.

Thank you :)
Cheers!
Nix

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#16 » May 27 2017 07:29

Glad I could share the idea before you got to work :D I hadn't even put anything about it in my own project log yet bahaha.
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » May 28 2017 04:42

Just a quick update on the scheme and decided to log it here too.
Feel free to post your opinions. Does it lok dull? Lacks any contrast? How would it look on the tabletop in you opinion (I know, it only matters if I like it :P ).
Still having hard time of replicating these colors with GW's and Vallejo Model paints...

http://bolterandchainsword.com/fws.php? ... bg=FFFFFF&
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jun 03 2017 03:37

So 8th editionb leaks have exploded the "The run to 8th edition" thread and eagerly I've tried to do my beast and get as much snippets of information I could actually process myself to learn something new.

Whit all the (good or bad) news of the point cost changes I found myself in a dilemma. Sure, this is something I shouldn't be even thinkin about currently since even my first SC box is not assembled but it really made me think if acquiring any more of the same SC boxes is worth it? What I mean that the XV8 suits are getting ridiculously expensive and fieldling any more than two teams is really not worth it (this is just my opinion).
The good thing is that I really like playing infantry heavy games and these changes somewhat help me with that leaving me to rely on suits as a heavy hitters. Sure the HH + Longstrike combo sounds sweet but if it's the absolute must I will only deploy the D'fishies as the only vehicles on my battlefield to support my future Breacher squads (we'll see how I will change my mind after some time passes).

But I have to stay rational and first just start working on what I got: assembling and painting the Frie Warriors and magnetizing my Crisis suits. WIth these models and what I already got I may as well get started with trying out how the 8th plays out with small casual games.
I have no intent to start playing in tournaments but would love to have an advanced points list on hand if such "not so casual" game comes up some where in my vicinity.

I felt like to write down my thoughts and ideas here in a diary-esk format just to let my thoughts to relax for a while. The next week is going to be really tough for me with studies and application exams. After that I am free to start working my free time on this amazing hobby! :D

Thanks for reading!
Cheers
Nix

Edit: my stupid typos
Last edited by nix0n on Jun 04 2017 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers!
Nix

Return to “Project Logs”