nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: nix0n's "Battle Worn Cadre" [WIP log]

Post#55 » Aug 01 2017 09:50

Regarding stripping models is atough one. Hearing all these fancy and foregn cleaning solutions such as simple green make me real jelly since I am still unable to find anything in my local area that resembles the same substane. Dawn power dissolver doesn't seem to be available here either. Bio-ethanol... I did managed to find something in similar but I am currently really wary of applying any substances to my brand new models.

Knives wrote:Did you use Corax white spray. I had that issue. Fix is to clean your nozzle with test spray. Email gw and send them pics. They should replace your models.

I used mechanicus standard grey spray which looks a bit too white on my posted picture. I always spray a couple small bursts upside down to clear up the nozzle and was still suprised with such poor paint coverage. Unfortunately I only have one good picture of this effect which I had the chance to take with my phone... I am not sure if this case is even worth taking to the GW. Sure I tried to do everything right in terms of spraying the basecoat in right conditions but they might as well say that I was guilty of ruinging the models myself. So i suppose there is no way of me proving anything here... More over I already started laying other paints on the miniatures which help to cover the un even texture a bit more. I dunno. Should this hassle be even worth a try?!
Cheers!
Nix

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#56 » Aug 01 2017 10:14

Clip pieces of sprue off to test with (consider pieces with detail such as lettering) you should have plenty left over :D
You could even basecoat and paint it first to see if the solution works.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Aug 01 2017 12:33

nix0n wrote:Regarding stripping models is atough one. Hearing all these fancy and foregn cleaning solutions such as simple green make me real jelly since I am still unable to find anything in my local area that resembles the same substane. Dawn power dissolver doesn't seem to be available here either. Bio-ethanol... I did managed to find something in similar but I am currently really wary of applying any substances to my brand new models.

Knives wrote:Did you use Corax white spray. I had that issue. Fix is to clean your nozzle with test spray. Email gw and send them pics. They should replace your models.

I used mechanicus standard grey spray which looks a bit too white on my posted picture. I always spray a couple small bursts upside down to clear up the nozzle and was still suprised with such poor paint coverage. Unfortunately I only have one good picture of this effect which I had the chance to take with my phone... I am not sure if this case is even worth taking to the GW. Sure I tried to do everything right in terms of spraying the basecoat in right conditions but they might as well say that I was guilty of ruinging the models myself. So i suppose there is no way of me proving anything here... More over I already started laying other paints on the miniatures which help to cover the un even texture a bit more. I dunno. Should this hassle be even worth a try?!

Okay so before you layer paint. Give it a scrub down with and old tooth brush and a tablespoon of water and a few drops of nail polish remover.

Or just a dry tooth brush. ( you should do this with a dry tooth brush after you prime anything.)

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#58 » Aug 01 2017 02:03

Yes Knives, I have tried the toothbrush method as previously mentioned and suprisingly it helped. I will try to scrub rest of the miniatures with some water too, athough I am still way too wary on using anything such as nail polish on these plastic miniatures.

There is still four fire warriors, a turret, drones, ethereal and the suits to prime. I will form now on have a test piece to prime and check the finish and also make sure the conditions are good before priming the actual models. Some times I wish I had an air brush but that day is not today...

The next step in spray can endeavor is to try out Citadel's Puristy Seal varnish. I've heard only good stuff about it. The matt varnish I got earlier needs still some more testing and fiddling. Can't seem to get a consistent mix to avoid the damn frosting.

Thanks to everybody for your helpful advice!

Until next time
Cheers!
Nix

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#59 » Aug 04 2017 09:04

In case you were wondering, I did get my bottle of Power Dissolver, used it to reclaim some drones I got on e-bay that were using a very strange teal-white-pink colored camo (not very environmentally effective). Paint is off. Models are A-ok.

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#60 » Aug 04 2017 09:06

nix0n wrote:Yes Knives Some times I wish I had an air brush but that day is not today...

Just as a note, because I got into airbrushing a while back, I thought the entry costs would be really painful, but you can get a good starter airbrush kit (brush & compressor) for 80$ on Amazon.

Entry point isn't near as bad as I first thought.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#61 » Aug 04 2017 02:18

Stand by for a soonish update with a few pictures of the latest Fire Warriors that had the basecoat mishap.
Results are better than I expected and the smoothness of the paints is only on me.
Trying to get these four miniatures to the same stage as my first demo (which you can see from my previous posts).
Thank you all for the incoming replies and shared experiences!
Stay tuned!
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#62 » Aug 06 2017 11:54

I feel like an absolute madman for choosing such a complex way of painting these helmets! Having a crisp line between the grey and tan colors is maddening hard to achieve! But I have to commit...

There has been some issues with achieving a consistent painting schedule. My current daily work is really energy consuming and coming back home I feel completely exhausted. Also my dust problems is not helping with getting actual painting done. I have noticed that my workspace suffers from a fast accumulation of dust. a lot of small particles get into my paints, brushes and miniatures no matter how I clean my room, work space, brushes or pallettes... This needs some further investigation.

Here is the latest progress picture of the Fire Warriors. Sure they don't look great and this post might not be worthwhile of this upload, but I feel like dumping my (some what of a lack-luster) week progress is helping me to stay focused on this "p-log".'

Thank you for following me with this slow-ish revival of my hobby/Cadre :nice:
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#63 » Aug 12 2017 09:53

Sooo, I might have done something really stupid! Hopefully this was a right choice...

Spoiler!

So what you see is that I finally got a pin vice. Sure it's army-painter and a lot of people in my local area give them a lot of flak but I think it is worth a try for such low price. Atleast I've read online a lot of positive feedback on the anti-shine varnish... I am hopeful that this will be enough to achieve a protective coat for my miniatures.
Also some 2,5 and 3mm drill bits for the magnets. Unfortunately the 3mm bit doesn't fit the pin vice properly so I am thinking if it is a good idea to return it :sad: The 2,5mm fits just fine but that means I am limited to use only 2,5mm in diameter magnets. That's good and bad. Bad, they are a bit too small magnets and good because I only found one local retailer which sells neodym magnets and has only the 2,5mm ones in N52 strength...

Although I am so eager to tear this box apart and check the contents I will not do that until I am fully done with my strike team.

Painting is progressing slowly but now that I can pin my other parts I can finally start to basecoat the rest of the fire warrior models' patrs. These techniques are a next level for me! Previously I would just assemble and glue everyuthing together and call it a day. Nowadays this process is much more time consuming but I hope also more rewarding.

Thanks for reading!
Until next time
Cheers!
Nix

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#64 » Aug 12 2017 11:25

Keep up the good work. Like where the cadre is headed. I've never understood why people use pin vices or hand drills, takes forever and hurts my fingers. I just use a craftsman bolt-on battery powered drill that also doubles as a jigsaw for cutting terrain bases. So much easier.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#65 » Aug 12 2017 12:31

Antao wrote:Keep up the good work. Like where the cadre is headed. I've never understood why people use pin vices or hand drills, takes forever and hurts my fingers. I just use a craftsman bolt-on battery powered drill that also doubles as a jigsaw for cutting terrain bases. So much easier.

I've done some demo drilling on some old terrain kits and I must admit the process isn't that slow or painful. Sure a low-power electric tool would be ideal but this kind of option wasn't budget friendly for me. Also I am having trouble finding locally any drill bit adapters for an electric screwdriver...
All in all I am really thankful for a cheerful responce! I'll try my best to get some more painting done this weekend and in the beginning of the next week.
I am currently gluing all the rest of the parts on some tooth picks to basecoat and paint and a drill bit is really helpful for that!
Cheers!
Nix

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#66 » Aug 28 2017 09:51

sigh...
I- I don't know. I am just mind blown by my skill of sinking such a considerable amount of money and time into this hobby while achieving zero progress and just getting more problems on my head...

During all this time while I was not updating the log I was having some decent time painting my Fire Warriors until I realise that the color scheme I decided to go with is just insane to achieve for every individual miniature in these kind of quantities. Also it ended up looking horrible in my opinion...
(new scheme on the left compared to the old fire warriors on the right)
Spoiler!

After some really tough choises and almost a mental break down (yeah I might be over dramatizing this... but I really spent a considerable amount of time on actually coming up with a scheme I like) I decided to get out the paint stripping equipment.

(I regretted this decision the moment I dropped these guys but there was no way truning back...)
Stripping th epaint was somewhat an easy task since the paint was still pretty fresh...

Now. To the actual problem and a really demoralizing one...
I decided to try oout Army painters color primer in skeleton bone. It looked like the test model turned out fine...
Damn it!! I just can't take this anymore. The miniatures that actually needed base coating went completely "kaput"!
I have sprayed previously in these conditions achieving good paint coverage and smoothness. But now this is a big hit for me, so big that I don't even wish to get back up again...
Not sure if the picture is clear enoug to see the "damage" but the primer did not turn out so well as I was told to. And no, this time brushing the miniatures is not helping for smoothening the surface since it is an actual primer and not Citadels spray paint which is easy to scratch off...
I am absolutely torn, heartbroken and just tired of this. No ideas of what to do next and is it even necessary anymore. The coating is bad, really bad and me trying to strip it is going further damage the plastic on the miniatures...

I'm afraid getting back into this hobby has been a great mistake. The time and nerves (and health!) I have spent (or may I even say "sacrificed") into this hobby feels like in complete vain.
I asked too much of myself back when I started this hobby for the first time and looks like I still asked too much now, achieving a somewhat ill attitude towards myself and this hobby in general :sad:

I feel infuriated and saddened at the same time. Lost and confused in my poor decisions and actions.
How all this will end up, I am not sure so don't expect any updates here soon.

Jeez I'm such a joke...
Nix

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#67 » Aug 28 2017 10:00

No worries man. I had just recently gone through something similar with GW primer that went wonky on me in the winter time. It was unbelievably tough to get off but I eventually got it with DOT-3 brake fluid. Just soaked it for a day or so and scrubby brushed it off. I had to do this on a TON of models, like 60 firewarriors, 20 pathfinders, 6 stealth suits, 10 crisis suits, 10 broadsides, 3 riptides, stormsurge, ethereal, 100+ drones and I'm sure a bunch more other random crap. Totally demoralizing but give it a bit and just take your time. You don't eat an elephant all at once. One bite at a time my friend and hopefully it goes smoothly the second time around. It seems daunting at first but we all make mistakes or have to correct mistakes that we didn't intend to happen and it makes us more well rounded the next time something crops up. You'll get it!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#68 » Aug 28 2017 09:38

Agh - that.. is beyond demoralizing. Truly sorry to hear it.

Is that just these three or the whole squad?

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#69 » Aug 28 2017 10:53

Hey buddy.

Don't give up. We believe in you. It's a wonderful life.

In all seriousness i have been modeling for many years. Yeesh im old. Anyways You can always take step back, breath and meditate.

I can tell you that after years of assembling minis from model cars to airplanes 40k and more, that you can always buy more minis.

Slow down don't force it. If you need to game right away make some friends at your local gw and ask a friend to play an army. I highly recommend switching armies with your buds.

Painting and assembling can be stressful. Take time and enjoy the painting process. If it's starting to feel like work. Just take a break.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#70 » Aug 31 2017 02:20

A big thanks to everyone for your help. It truly helps.

Uni is closing in fast and this is year may turn out to be a painful one.
With these typical fall season "hurries" this log will see less updating. I will try to come up with a schedule for myself to have a goal and a log for that achieved goal at least in each month... Hopefully this will keep me motivated to continue this hobby.

Now for some relpies...
Tael/Yojimbob: Yes, a whole squad of six Fire Warriors have suffered this case-- and oh my god how the heck have you recovered from this incident Yojimbob?? After taking a small break with all these miniatures, yesterday, I managed to strip most of the basecoat spray with the chemical I was able to find locally with minimal wear on the plastic. This is truly a relieving feeling. I may have overreacted a bit with my previous post and let out too much of my heat.

Knives: Thank you for your kind words. The idea of playing with another's army is definitely a great idea and I will try to arrange something like that for myself if certain people wouldn't mind it.

Overall... jeez what a rollercoaster has this summer been :nice:
Maybe my vision for detailed army has been way too overwhelming, and just realising that has been a huge toll on my "well beign". I will take it slow and achieve success in smaller steps!

I will most definitely lurk on this forum regularly checking in on the new and old stuff but mainly stay silent unless I have something meaningful to say.

Thanks again to everybody who have followed this ride so far.
Cheers!
Nix

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#71 » Aug 31 2017 08:17

No worries! I HAD to get everything ready for Adepticon in March so I just knuckled down and got to brushing. It sucked for sure but the goal was there and I wasn't going to miss it. Put too much money into the event and models for it to fall apart because I was a little upset. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#72 » Aug 31 2017 04:15

Good to hear Nixon :)

I'm facing similar time lines for my hobby projects. Work was insane past month, and I've got about three weeks before it all kicks off again. So I'm scoping priorities and painting time schedule. All in small batches so when done, I've achieved a section.

Main thing is, to avoid burnout, paint & model when you're inspired, makes for a better result. Take it from a 20yr hobby Fio :nice:

ATT is always here, so look forward to hearing how the cadre or your Uni days go :)

Return to “Project Logs”