Tau Empire Expanse

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Tau Empire Expanse

Post#1 » May 30 2017 06:56

Hi all, with the 8th edition shortly upon us I guess now is as good a time to get one of these project logs up and running. I have been working away at the army for a couple of months prior to the speculation and confirmation of the 8th edition, which gives me a nice guideline to produce what I need for the release in order to be able to play some smaller games to begin with.

I have based the army on an urban strike force from the T'au sept, here is a selection of what that strike force currently contains/offers.

I am currently working on the ethereal from the start collecting set, with some modifications as I'm not a fan of the static nature (or the exposed/unhelmeted face) of the standard pose. I also have the other crisis suit to work on and a commander suit, along with the drones that come with the boxes (most likely looking at shield drones the way the rulings seem to be shaping up). I also have a pathfinder box kicking around so I may take the pulse accelerator drone and pop it into the open hatch on the devilfish.

I can only get a certain level of detial from the trusty iPod camera so I apologize for a lack of detail or a slight bleached look, I have some battle damage to add to the old style firewarriors and squad markings, maybe also to the devilfish as it's a little bit plain at the moment. Maybe a minor camo pattern of some description could make an appearance at some stage we will see, expect to see some progress on the ethereal in the next few days, thanks for looking at feel free to leave feedback!

Cheers, JB

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Tau Empire Expanse

Post#2 » Jun 04 2017 03:15

Careful, clean work, I particularly like the touch of energy in the nacelles :)

The light battle damage and wear adds to the result nicely.

iPod has taken some respectable images.

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 07 2017 10:07

@ Tael - Thanks for the kind words, lots of layering and reapplying black lines after multiple coats haha, I guess a the older style of painting takes longer than simply applying washes and the like these days :) Not to knock washes in any way, it's just a lot easier to do it that way and we can't be having that!

Onto some more images, work commenced in adjusting the ethereal's fashion styling, taking apart the staff, adding a few extras here and there including a set of arms from the firewarrior sprue, a bonding knife and a shield generator for purely aesthetic purposes, as I do like the good old fashioned shield on the back. I then attached the bladed part of the staff to the back of the ethereal to at least give him a weapon as a last resort after he has relayed his orders. I also attempted some wet blending on the front and back of the cloak as I thought with him being a leader he deserved the work to make him stand out.

Additional reinforcements in form of shield drones, these guys will definitely have a role to play on the battlefield by the ways things seem to be shaping up, going to have to commit to protecting the expensive battlesuits! Also quite tempted to paint the stems black to tie in a little bit more, is that a thing many people are doing/do?

I am currently working on the last crisis suit to complete the start collecting box, which will give me enough to play with come release day and hopefully I will be able to sneak in a bit more assembling so I can increase the efficiency of my army with pathfinders and a potential coldstar commander, thanks for looking.

Cheers, JB

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 07 2017 01:36

A really nicely painted force you have here! Everything looks really sharp and the light battle damage looks great. It really is nice to see a classic Tau scheme done well. Ethereal is very nice, time well spent on the cloak I'd say!

Illuria
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 07 2017 02:58

Hey JB, great looking army you have there! I like it, it's very nice and clean and I love the bases. With regards to your thoughts on the drone antennae, rather than painting them all black, paint the narrow part between the main section of the antenna and the bit that goes on the top of the drone black. Also paint the cylinder at the very tips black. Those two sections I think would be an appropriate amount of black to offset the colour in the way you desire.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#6 » Jun 09 2017 06:42

It is good to see this variety of units with your paint approach. I really like your subtle battle wear. I'm well known for my super clean armor (I call it self-repairing nano armor tech, its Tau, c'mon ;)) - but these subtle touches have encouraged me to try some out.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 13 2017 06:16

I love your Ethereal :) I considered adding the Fire Warrior helmet like you have, but I liked the head provided just without the hair, so I took that off :) The shield on the back looks awesome, and I really like that you've stuck to the classic Tau colours :)

I do think you were a little heavy on your shades though, but thats just me!
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 15 2017 02:32

First off thanks for the comments, I'm happy that you guys are enjoying the classic Tau scheme, sometimes when I am building up the ochre from brown I wonder why I put myself through the task of layering (especially on the bigger units) but it's always refreshing to read the positive comments afterwards haha.

@Illuria - I may add the idea of black antennas to a part of one of the drone types, maybe tau accelerator drone or the pathfinder pulse drone that will eventually sit in the devilfish hatch, could tie in nicely with the tank itself with another spot colour. I was actually considering/referring to adding black on the plastic/acrylic/ flying stand but again your ideas will be worth experiementing with when I get around to painting some more drone types.

@Tael - I initially wanted to go with super slick and clean armour like you mention, but I looked at some of the bigger models in the army and thought that you were going to struggle to really add an extra dimension to the centrepieces so to speak if you didn't add something, that could also be a lot of freehanded sept markings or something along those lines. That's not to say I don't like minimal designs/models, I love them, I just felt like a little more grit/reality would probably benefit the army on a whole. Plus it's actually really easy to test/do, you just need a little bit of sponge and a brown in our case if we are painting classic tau and then the highlight colour of your armour beneath the initial crack/bullethole ect.

@Bloodknife92 - Yea the fit isn't perfect for the helmet with the headrest at the top of his robe, but it's close enough to not need more than a considered position/angle of his head. As for the shades I would usually agree, the contrast is really high on the red, but I wanted to really emphasise the colour as a status sybmol of the ethereals position in the army, plus on the table it should help him stand out that little bit more!

As for updates here we go, the final crisis suit of the 3 man squad, I am undecided whether or not to add the shoudler guard (it's painted), I just think they look a little too big on the arm/side you get to put them on, but I also recongnise that it depends on the pose of the left arm, he also may get a bit of sept marking love at some stage.

I also added some burst cannons into the configuration as I feel like volume of shots is going to be too important in smaller games, rather than 1 or 2 shot weapons at BS4+ for the amount of points you would put into the squad. Here is a view of the squad - the drones.

I may get around to adding some weathering and sept markings to the older style of firewarriors before I go to pick up the books on saturday, as I also intent to have a couple of small battles over the weekend if I can, so that should be nice getting to field the fully painted force (that's assembled so far). Once again thanks for looking!

Cheers, JB

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#9 » Jun 15 2017 11:44

Ah top stuff, nice to see some of the new suits jumping around - liking the edge scuffs and dust in the crease lines too.

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 03 2017 03:55

So it's been two weeks or so and I've made a small amount of progress on the T'au, a squad of 5 pathfinders and a commander find themselves in the mist of a wip, the commander is the standard variant (modelling 2 fusion blasters, I have no intention of physically sticking 4 guns on him unless theres a way to glue 2 fusions blasters together in a way that looks aesthetically sound) and I've tried to keep his pose close to the version on the codex from last edition, mainly due to the nice simple dynamic the image or in my case the commander achieves. Pathfinders are standard carbines (which have been left off to paint seperately) as I just generally find it much easier to get around the model without a massive gun blocking the midrift/torso, plus knowing that I wouldn't be able to paint the back of the gun, or the area of the torse obscured by the gun would kill me inside!

ImageImage

Also unsure whether or not to pin the model at the circular foot attachment instead of gluing it to the feet, as I feel like it would make it a lot easier to fit inside my case, magnetising is an option, as it is with the jetpacks.

I also started my job around the time of the last post, so I've been adjusting to actually having something going on in the day which has been exciting (working as a web/graphic designer) and also challenging as it's my first job. I would go into how hard it is to get a job after graduation, especially in the creative field, but I think it's best left just as a very brief mention ;). So yea, having my time cut in the week means less warhammer time, but now at least I have money to buy more!

Also had a small game of 8th edition over the weekend, against my cousins orks, we played 750 points, cleanse and control and only had time to get to his 3rd turn, the points where 2-1 to the orks, I managed to draw 2 character killing ojbectives and the objective on the other side of the map which didn't really help, I assume you get to ditch your objectives for new ones at the start of each turn? Because I didn't do that as I read you needed to complete one in order to do it, oh well it was a good laugh even if it was played slightly wrong, the deff dread came in hot with his shooting (unbelievable I know) and my fusion commander rolled snakeyes on the D6 damage to the trukk :biggrin:

FIrewarriors seemed cheap and cheerful, ethereal didn't really get to do much, the pathfinders with the rerolling 1's is useful and I feel like that's all you can relaibly gun for at small points. Lootas seemed pretty crazy if you get 10-15 shots per turn as my crisis unit found out in turn 2. I'm going to have to find a way to get more shots into my list next time we play as there was just too many bodies to shoot through before they got close enough to charge. (we did also play on a 4ft by 2.5ft which certainly favoured the orks, but just playing was good enough for me!

Anyway that's enough waffling for this post, I will hopefully be able to provide another update later on in the week with some initial colouring on the models, thanks for looking

Cheers, JB

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jul 09 2017 02:49

More from the Empire as a 5 man pathfinder squad enlists for the upcoming battles, their markerlights will hopefully tip the battle in the T'au's favour!

And a close up of the shas'ui as he uses nearby barricades to fortify his position

Surprised myself how quick the turn around was for this squad as they only really saw any meaningful progress yesterday, but I guess 15 hours or so across 2 days can get the job done sometimes haha. I may also look at building the other 5 pathfinders in the box at some stage, with some heavy weapons if I feel I need it in the future, but for now I think 5 pathfinders will be sufficent at 500-1000 points as you are only really looking for that rerolls on the 1.

The commanders base is finished, still considering how I want to attach him to the base, it may just be I glue him on, opposed to magnestising him, as I imagine it will be very top heavy if I go for the magnets. Hopefully I can get some paint on him during the week, here is his base!

Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing your comments and critique.

Cheers, JB

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#12 » Jul 13 2017 12:02

Nice work on the bases and the subtle weathering to armor is very careful :) Always good to see a Cadre grow bit by bit :)

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Jul 24 2017 02:39

More from the expanse as 6 gun drones fly in to save their battlesuit brothers! Seeing as gun drones are all the rage at the moment I decided to put together some of my drones that where lying around from the start collecting kit. They have been given the crisis suit's squad markings (I actually need to put them on 2 of the suits as well) which ties them in with the whole deepstrike squad.

The commander is coming along quite nicely, I'de say he's about 50% done, most of the basecoating has been applied, so now it's a case of cleaning up the lines, adding all the extra details/highlights ect, so hopefully he will be done by the end of the week.

I also have been playing around with some army lists to get a feel for where I want to head with this small force, I think the crisis suits will have plasma (for the ap) and the drone controller (so I'll have to get to work on painting plasma guns), and then I'm looking at something like a hammerhead or a broadside to take me to around 1000 points.

Thanks for looking and hopefully the commander can be prepared for battle in the upcoming days

Cheers, JB

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jul 25 2017 12:33

Beautiful Gun Drones!
I don't know how you managed to do it, but your guys are one of the very very few where I like the original T'au Sept color scheme. ;)

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#15 » Jul 26 2017 11:43

Agreed, it has a deeper hue to it and the light weathering sells the campaign force side to the colleciton :)

Shas'ui_JB
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 03 2017 03:43

Thanks for the comments Panzer and Tael, the "darker" nature of my style of scheme might be because I use pure black in the paneling opposed to the brown/reddish tint that GW used for their version.

The expanse took a little bit longer than anticipated to supply the commanders battlesuit, the workers obviously discovered some faults in the armour and worked overtime to ensure the commanders suit was battle-ready. The name of the commander will be discovered in due time, as their experience develops through battle, they are currently equiped with 3 fusion blasters and will be looking to leave their mark on the enemies tougher units.

Onto the painting, took a while to get everything how I wanted it, I'm happy with the overall results I also decided to include a lolipop type stand to help support the model as the feet and top of this contraption are magnetised for easier transport options. Here are a few angles of the commander.

Image ImageImage

Hopefully I will be able to get a game or two in soon with my painted force, maybe I will be able to take out some of the space marines. I am also starting to consider my next move as I nearly have everything painted so far, just a few extra flying bases, bits of extra detailing or a few extra gun options to build over time. Options that stand out to me are a coldstar suit, a hammerhead, a broadside or some form of stealth unit, so I'll have a think about it and see what happens. As always thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Cheers, JB

Return to “Project Logs”