Qim'Ras Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
QimRas
Shas'Saal

Qim'Ras Cadre

Post#1 » Jun 03 2017 01:58

So I have finally finished my first Breacher/Strike Team.

I magnetized the arms so I could swap out the arms. I built the head, shoulder, and backpack as Breachers because I like the parts better. I got another box I plan to do the same way later.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Re: Qim'Ras Cadre

Post#2 » Jun 03 2017 02:27

I'm very impressed, most people don't magnetize fire warriors.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 03 2017 02:50

Wow. Just wow! You have done hell of a good job! Just seeing how well the poses look on the miniatures tells me you had quite time spent on getting things right! Amazing.

May I ask you what exact magnets you used for the arms? Also magnetizing the drones is a good idea too!
Job well done :D
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 03 2017 03:12

I really should get my hands on a proper drill. I've so much to magnetize but I find so many more interesting things to spend money on than on a lame drill. :D

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 03 2017 05:07

MNGamer wrote:I'm very impressed, most people don't magnetize fire warriors.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if I wanted a Breacher Team or Strike Team, so I built both.

nix0n wrote:Wow. Just wow! You have done hell of a good job! Just seeing how well the poses look on the miniatures tells me you had quite time spent on getting things right! Amazing.

May I ask you what exact magnets you used for the arms? Also magnetizing the drones is a good idea too!
Job well done :D

Again, thanks! There are actually small gaps between some of the shoulders, but if you are looking at them from table height you can't really tell.

I used two types of magnets, because I ran out of the first. The first set are 2mm x 1mm I got from my FLGS. They worked pretty well, but I had trouble finding a good drill bit, and ended up having to open up the hole to get them to fit.

Second set were 1/32 inch magnets from here:
http://www.thewarstore.com/product68935.html

So far they have done really well, and it was much easier to find a 1/32 drill bit that the magnets fit perfectly into.

Also, I really only had to drill the body. The depression in the gun arm of the new Fire Warrior kit lets these 1/32 magnets sit into the depression almost perfectly.

Panzer wrote:I really should get my hands on a proper drill. I've so much to magnetize but I find so many more interesting things to spend money on than on a lame drill. :D

Yeah, when I started I was using a hand drill, and honestly it was horrible. I have a dremel, but I was a little freaked out about something going that fast that close to my hand. I looked around and got a Black and Decker BDCS20C.
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BDC ... B00TM2T9C2
Its actually a screwdriver and not a drill, and it goes slow enough that I feel comfortable with my fingers being close to it and its less likely to just punch straight through the model. It was cheap too, they are like 20 bucks, and the bits are like 4 bucks.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 03 2017 06:48

QimRas wrote:So I have finally finished my first Breacher/Strike Team.

I magnetized the arms so I could swap out the arms. I built the head, shoulder, and backpack as Breachers because I like the parts better. I got another box I plan to do the same way later.

You've done exactly what I plan to do with my Fire Warriors :D Except mine will be Strike Warriors, with no option for Breachers as they don't appeal to me. I'm also going to do 2 Pulse Rifles for the Shas'ui, one with the Markerlight and one without, for further option availability :D I'm glad there are likeminded people out there!
The days of goodly English is went
Ziss old dog still has a few tricks!

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 03 2017 07:15

Bloodknife92 wrote:You've done exactly what I plan to do with my Fire Warriors :D Except mine will be Strike Warriors, with no option for Breachers as they don't appeal to me. I'm also going to do 2 Pulse Rifles for the Shas'ui, one with the Markerlight and one without, for further option availability :D I'm glad there are likeminded people out there!

Rock on! You may run out of pulse rifles though. There are exactly 10 standard sets, which let you switch them out like I did. You would have to do at least one fire warrior with glued arms using one of the reloading poses or something. Not sure how easily you can magnetize the reloading poses.

I'll post step by step pictures when I break open my next box.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 03 2017 07:51

There are, but there are also pulse rifles with no hands, so I'll do some converting work on one of those empty hands that is meant to hold the pulse rifle, and add a pulse rifle to it, and fire the shooting arm I'll use the pointing hand. I have it all planned out :D

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 03 2017 07:54

Bloodknife92 wrote:There are, but there are also pulse rifles with no hands, so I'll do some converting work on one of those empty hands that is meant to hold the pulse rifle, and add a pulse rifle to it, and fire the shooting arm I'll use the pointing hand. I have it all planned out :D

For sure post pictures. I am curious what that will look like.

Bloodknife92
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jun 03 2017 08:05

I definitely will be, over in my project log titled A'kish Vior'la Cadre :) I have to work on my Ethereal and Cadre Fireblade first though.

Return to “Project Logs”