[Project] Stuff from the Forge V2

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: [Project] Stuff from the Forge V2

Post#19 » Jul 10 2017 07:39

Vay wrote:Tau are in a great place on the table top. Meta has changed, but we are more than good.

We are as good as we were in 7th if not better.

And we have a codex to makes us better. Drones are REALLY good, learn to use them.

Body guards are REALLY good too!

This seems like the minority opinion, most people feel we're worse off in the new edition. In particular, why do you think we feel better?

Also, what did you like about Bodyguards?

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jul 10 2017 09:18

5-0 wins suggests we are ok. And not close fights for the Tau.
Seeing what is on the table at 1000 points is well balanced to us. But we still have the ability to sync our abilities in ways others do not. People who can not change from 7th are going to lose. It is a different meta. Adapt and win. Get mad that it once worked and no longer does fixes nothing.

Also look at our point to wound charts. We are deep in the Green. Also STR 5 is Amazing better then 4 now. and nothing is really better tell 8 after that.

Suits get 4!!!!!! weapons. If you fire a fusion commander and don't think we are ok, you want to much.
XV8 get 3!!! or 2 and a ATS!

WE get ATS.... that is so good.

Suits gained a wound and a toughness. This ruins small arms fire verse us. Again amazing. JSJ matters less if you take hits like a MC.

Longstrike and our tanks are amazing.

I watch many Bat reps where people who play tau poorly are winning with a pile of mistakes.

Body guards to what drones do. Las cannon or melta kil a suit. One drone or Bodyguard turns it into a mortal wound. So the weapons designed to stop our suits fail to work on the suit or commander. On the table, it is very powerful.

We have some soft spots, but not bad. Even ML and Seeker have a place as mortal wounds are really nice. People needed to play in 5th... We have 4 units tops to play. Tau commanders played the hell out of the Tau for a win. Now us oldies are smashing faces with new rules.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jul 10 2017 11:04

Vay wrote:5-0 wins suggests we are ok. And not close fights for the Tau.
Seeing what is on the table at 1000 points is well balanced to us. But we still have the ability to sync our abilities in ways others do not. People who can not change from 7th are going to lose. It is a different meta. Adapt and win. Get mad that it once worked and no longer does fixes nothing.

Also look at our point to wound charts. We are deep in the Green. Also STR 5 is Amazing better then 4 now. and nothing is really better tell 8 after that.

Suits get 4!!!!!! weapons. If you fire a fusion commander and don't think we are ok, you want to much.
XV8 get 3!!! or 2 and a ATS!

WE get ATS.... that is so good.

Suits gained a wound and a toughness. This ruins small arms fire verse us. Again amazing. JSJ matters less if you take hits like a MC.

Longstrike and our tanks are amazing.

I watch many Bat reps where people who play tau poorly are winning with a pile of mistakes.

Body guards to what drones do. Las cannon or melta kil a suit. One drone or Bodyguard turns it into a mortal wound. So the weapons designed to stop our suits fail to work on the suit or commander. On the table, it is very powerful.

We have some soft spots, but not bad. Even ML and Seeker have a place as mortal wounds are really nice. People needed to play in 5th... We have 4 units tops to play. Tau commanders played the hell out of the Tau for a win. Now us oldies are smashing faces with new rules.

I agree with some of your sentiments. Most people who play online batreps have terrible lists.

However;

I disagree with your thoughts on our tanks. They suck!
Longstrike is very accurate! But railguns in general are just an expensive lascannon in terms of damage output. You would be more effective slapping enemy tanks with wet tea-bags.

Bodyguards absorb damage, not wounds. You have been using this rule incorrectly.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Jul 11 2017 03:15

Lechai Skull wrote:I agree with some of your sentiments. Most people who play online batreps have terrible lists.

Ain't that the truth.

Lechai Skull wrote:I disagree with your thoughts on our tanks. They suck!

Longstrike is very accurate! But railguns in general are just an expensive lascannon in terms of damage output. You would be more effective slapping enemy tanks with wet tea-bags.

For damage output, a Railgun is only fractionally better than a Lascannon. Remember though, the Railgun can do more damage and has a better AP value. Comparing Longstrike's Railgun to a Lascannon though... it's better in every respect. Our ordinary Hammerheads might not do much more than a Lascannon, but Longstrike certainly does.

Lechai Skull wrote:Bodyguards absorb damage, not wounds. You have been using this rule incorrectly.

Yeah, this is true. Drones absorb wounds. Bodyguards absorb damage.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Jul 11 2017 06:48

I agree that we are better off than many on the forums want to make us believe, but damn Vay, you are WAY too overhyped. :D

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Jul 11 2017 09:35

The fields are piled thick in the dead of my enemies while my Tau drink their fill in the Orbital.

- Lascannons are way worse then a rail gun.
- Rail have 2 fire modes. Both are very good.
- Solid shot is amazing and it scores mortal wounds extra almost every match.
- Scatter is also amazing. It also still has much needed AP.
- Drones vs SMS... I SMS still. Tanks live and die off range. You should be able to keep it long enough to do the job.
- Long strike makes them a legal list, adds amazing buffs, and is very cool.
- Tanks feel like before 6th edition. They have meat on their bones.

All of me likes tank commander 40K, it plays very well.

-- Thought of Drones and adding skirmish Piranhas. TBD/T

-- My manta is to busy, all Manta drops are now Orca drops until further notice. Orca prep for launch, Fireball V2 weapons test is a go. Target is Taros.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#25 » Jul 20 2017 08:15

Sorry for delay. Life 15 Me 1.5 .

First combats:

Fireball 2.0 1 Victory
Tanks had a tight 1 loss

Stealth Team Alpha on target. Bravo on support.

Fireball deployed. Ground targets destroyed.

Nid pod with Swarm lord counter. Drone net destroyed. Commander and Fireball evade.

Commander zoom.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#26 » Jul 20 2017 08:26

On/Off the table

Coldstar and Custom Coldstar. (wing 1 and 2)

CIB Commander.

XV46 with Stealth CIBs.

Tau HammerHeads playing hot lava vs nids. Lost by small margin.

Ndras Flesh Virus survivor from initial Sept deployment. Tau Zombie.

8th Edition, launching sister shark for field tests. Tigershark Bomber.

Fusion Commander.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Jul 20 2017 08:44

I'd maybe try to paint the clear resin Stealth Suits partially. That would look a lot better imo. ;)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jul 21 2017 10:42

Battle Test:

Commander heavy + Tigershark

VS Necrons

Wing 1 (Coldstar) and Tigershark push forward on to the necron positions.
Wing 2 (Coldstar - Commander) Landed in support of wing one on the right flank.
Plas and fusion commanders landed on the left flank.
Tigershark took P&J

Alpha strike removed hard targets and some soft.
Necron counter strike landed. Evasion took place. Fusion commader almost got over run. All commanders shield him for survival. The last of the necron forces did not survive.
Bomber continued to provide air to ground support throughout the fight.

We then did a air combat test game. 2 Necron fighters VS Tigershark. Necrons had a 29 point advantage.
Tiger shark wins with 10 HP smoking off.

Over all Review:
- Commanders are very good.
- Plasma is ok, Fusion is great, Ion cannons are actually pretty good, Mpods are wonky but ok, and HOBCs are pretty good.
- Coldstars are very good, but not in the same way as commanders. Great ground marker units for deepstrike.
- The Tigershark is Very good for the first time....ever... Very happy with it.

Next week: Manta vs hierophant (100p+50p partner game)

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#29 » Jul 25 2017 08:25

Off the table:

First of 3.
Tachikoma! I mean XV8 Jumping Spider

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Jul 25 2017 08:39

Awesome Ghost in the Shell reference....or is that already too much of a copy to be called a reference? :D

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Jul 31 2017 08:50

Manta field test: 100 PL Game

Titanic weapons doubling means 50-60 HP goes down in 1-2 rounds. Closer to 1.

Ground force combat with titanic backdrop: Infantry w/Orca

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#32 » Aug 03 2017 09:00

Going to build some paired lists. Power level and point versions to feel out the differences.

On the table, ... far to many projects. Might be finishing the XV46 and Spider mech teams. Also a mass production of drones is in order. Gun drones for the Pew Pew God.

Field tested:

Manta
Tigershark
Orca

Armor Cadre
Infantry Cadre
Suit Cadre
Combined arms Cadre

I find Suit to be our strongest, followed by combined arms.

Hard to field codex-index items: These just fielded poor or look poor on paper vs the parts of our index that are good.

Riptide
Ghostk
All of our aviation
Kroot
skyray
Vespid

Forgeworld is about the same: Best things from forge world

Orca
Manta
Tiger shark
TS 2: only if fighting titans. Then bring this over manta, vastly better Macro output.
Supremacy: same concept as TS 2

Possibly XV109

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Aug 03 2017 09:56

My take on our 8th Meta:

We are more like blood angels than guard.

IE Alpha strike, hit hard, and hit fast. VS Static Gun line defensive.

We do amazing in areas we once got murdered. Flamersuit teams and crisis commanders are close "combat" rockstars now. Drones are our "shields". When a team can take and win vs a swarm lord, things have changed for us.

My two imperial tokens. I know some think I am over hyped on Tau, but for them I offer the the glory days of 4th/5th/6th.

We once had 3 good units, one of the oldest codexes, and all the hate the 40K meta could offer. Tau could win then, Tau can rock face now.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Aug 04 2017 10:20

More war, more intel...

Tau VS Spacewolf

The landing

CC

Tau suits crushed on the Alpha, defended strongly to the counter attack, and cleared the table Turn 2.

Suits and drones, I will give you the galaxy with suits and drones.

Also very impressed with CIB's over plasma,BC, or MPOD. Two mods and great volume of shots. CIB and Fusion commanders put on some targeted hurt.

Also a fan of micro ML support (2 mld) for the 1 rerolls. Just the right amount of ML, with out loosing out or hyper focusing.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Aug 08 2017 07:29

Spider xv team complete.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#36 » Aug 09 2017 02:17

Table:
- XV9 with actual EXP pulse X2
- "Raker" heavy gunner XV8 Commander
- XV46 team
- Spider Drone team
- Drones.... drones.... drones.... ... ... ... Drones. (8th = mass drone production from my vast drone mines)

I can not help but think on codex production and our currant index. Even in this new edition, we are still "hated" and "OP" in many peoples eyes. I feel like GW tried to knee jerk "fix" this by targeting many of the louder "issues".

But as the net talks now, most know riptides got over costed, JSJ is missed, and we have "issues". That said, we still are seen in a bad light. I wonder what new direction this response/play test evolution will take us.

Index wise, I think we are very strong. We just got our meta changed on how we attack, what models we use, and speed/flow of battle. I think codex relics, sept traits, and CP options will just enhance our ability to play what we have. But new codexs that are coming out also indicate cost/PL adjustments. I think these adjustments will be the true "change" in our future.

There is also FW and the Fires imperial armor. We shall see.

PS: Codex production on index is worse then codex creep. A thought I never figured I would have.

Return to “Project Logs”