Antao 8th Edition Cadre [Commander Update]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Antao
Shas'Saal

Antao 8th Edition Cadre [Commander Update]

Post#1 » Jul 11 2017 04:12

Hello ATT!

I'm new here and I'm starting up a project log to go along with my freshly started 8th edition Tau army!I've just finished my first test firewarrior and while I fumble about trying to figure out how to apply the paint scheme to battlesuits I figured I'd show off my first piece and ask for feedback. I've tried to put together a scheme that was somewhat fast to paint but leaves each individual in model as it's own solid piece of art.

The model was based with Zandri Dust Spray and built up with similar arid appropriate colors and finished with a little bit of weathering on some of the parts I feel would really take a beating. Focusing on area's like the knees,
elbows and the base of the gun are all areas i felt would be hitting the ground a reasonable amount of time.

I'll be back soon with the test battlesuit (an XV88) and hopefully contributing to the community in other meaningful ways in the interim.

Last edited by Antao on Jul 23 2017 11:40, edited 2 times in total.

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: Antao 8th Edition Cadre Start

Post#2 » Jul 12 2017 04:38

I love the body language of this model, and the subtle weathering is spot on. While it's very visually interesting to me, as I love subtle camouflage and realistic wear and tear, I might suggest something like either brighter helmet optics or a single panel on the legs or shoulder guard in a Sept color, just as a visual contrast to your khaki. Other than that, I love it.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 12 2017 07:21

Thanks for the feedback. This being a test model isn't quite done. I haven't decided on the sept colors yet (though I'm leaning toward vior'la as I think the red will pop on the otherwise neutral colors on the model, the other option is Bork'an to give the model an overall cooler appearance with the blue lighting / sotek green markings).

The base also needs a few small tumbleweeds or something. I plan to do a lot of experimenting with ground cover to vary the bases of the models a bit while leaving the rocky/sand feel underneath to help cohesion. I also noticed I forgot the armor plate on the shoulder due to using a pathfinder arm for the binoculars I might have that setting on the ground somewhere. I'm planning on a few bare headed models here and there but their helmets will always be on them somewhere as I feel the Tau aren't headstrong enough to leave parts of their armor behind in the interest of being overly bad-ass. (silly astartes)

Antao
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jul 19 2017 07:08

I'm back with some various updates to the Cadre. I tend to work on multiple projects at once to break up the monotony sometimes. I'm currently working on the first strike team. A commander, casting and assembling some crisis suits (I like the look of the shas'vre parts better so I ended up making copies of them so I can equip the whole squad with the heavier armor and clear casting a ghostkeel (which will end up with the stealth-in look that several people on this forum have pioneered).

Finished Fire Warriors:

Commander, Cyclic Ion Blaster Recasts (this is the first time I've ever cast anything so it's a WIP to figure out how best to make air release channels), my take on the 3 flamer crisis suit, and the first ghostkeel leg clear cast!

Display Case lighting works in person. Looks like I need a light box though. :sad:

Antao
Shas'Saal

Re: Antao 8th Edition Cadre [WIP]

Post#5 » Jul 23 2017 11:40

Commander [minus guns as I'm not quite settled on how I want them attached yet] completed.

So far he's only been used in one 8th ed game. Loaded up with 4x FB on a battleground where the heaviest target were armored sentinels. His FB ended up melting a heavy weapons squad with autocannons and then vaporizing a lord commissar. Not exactly the best use of his points but the removal of the commissar made it a cakewalk for the fire warriors on that side of the battlefield to chew though conscripts. (deadlock missions made it so the LD stratagem cost 4CP by the end of the game).

Antao
Shas'Saal

Re: Antao 8th Edition Cadre [Battlefield Update]

Post#6 » Aug 12 2017 11:32

We're back this time with something a little different! My favorite part of warhammer is the effect of seeing a painted army on a matching, well laid out battle field. Because of this when I started my arid climate themed hunter cadre I also purchased a desert battlemat from Pwork games and I've completed the first "wood" to accompany it/my army.

I'm quite happy with how the finished cadre models look like they belong. All in I've planned to make several additional terrain pieces for the battlefield including:

2 "Woods"
1 Oasis "Wood"
2 "Ruins" (these will be sunken and covered in blowing sand)
1 Tau Outpost
1 Pumping station
Several rocky outcroppings "ruins"/hills.

In order to deal with the warping problem I often had making terrain when I was a younger, less informed hobbyist, I've used 1/4 plywood for the terrain base.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Antao 8th Edition Cadre [Commander Update]

Post#7 » Aug 13 2017 02:51

Really nice painting skills. Good colour scheme too, minimal and complimenting. The "diorama" there looks great too, the Strike team seems to disappear in to the foliage. Keep up the great work - more! :D
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Return to “Project Logs”