Blindeye Cadre Log - Update 09/12

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Blindeye Cadre Log - Update 09/12

Post#1 » Jul 11 2017 06:38

Hello,

I want to start by taking the time to thank the ATT community. I am constantly inspired by the amazing work I see coming from the community on this forum and appreciate the great content and advice I have read and received here.

A little bit about me and why I am starting this log. I first got into 40k in 2011, when I started with the 5th Edition Tau Battleforce. Since then I have been working on and expanding my army on and off. It has always been my goal to completely paint my army, somehow, this goal always remains out of reach.

I am starting this log for two reasons, first and foremost to share my work with this amazing community and receive some feedback and critique, but secondly as a way to track my progress and motivate me to reach my goal!

Enough background lets get to the good stuff.

In the past few weeks with the dawn of 8th edition I decided to go back to basics and paint some of my long forgotten Fire Warriors. Fire Warriors were the first Tau miniatures that I built and painted, but I never played with them much due to my love for Crisis Suits and the Farsight Enclave, so many of mine are unpainted and in rather bad shape.

Recently I fixed up three squads of 5 and my Cadre Fireblade. My current goal is to paint them up. Here are some pictures of my progress so far.

All three squads and the Fireblade in the early stages of completion.

First squad nearing completion. I used some white GW dry paint (the kind made for dry brushing) and it came out a little grittier then I was hoping. I'll probably use use regular white paint on the next squad for the dry brushing.

First squad finished up. I plan on basing, applying decals and putting a protective coat on my entire army someday but haven't gotten to that yet.

More to come as I complete it, along with some better pictures of the rest of my army.
Last edited by Blindeye on Sep 12 2017 04:43, edited 19 times in total.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Vior'los Strike Cadre Log

Post#2 » Jul 11 2017 09:08

Nice paint scheme. I too have the problem of never having my army fully painted :)
just a quick tip, perhaps repaint the black and red after you have done the white drybrush, it looks a little weird as is.

Keep painting and Tau'va

Sniper

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 11 2017 11:36

Now that's a high ranked Strike Team leader! :D (helm completely in Sept color means he's a Shas'Vre)

Well painted though! Maybe a bit heavy on the drybrushing over the black areas. ;)

Shas'O Darklighter
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 12 2017 08:05

Nice! That colour scheme really suits that worn effect. Bases really do help to make a unit look finished. I always save that until last as well as it makes it very easy to call a squad done before you've actually completed them otherwise.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Vior'los Strike Cadre Log

Post#5 » Jul 12 2017 11:28

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and critiques! I love the way dry brushing over black pulls out the detail, but, I agree I think it is a little heavy handed here. As Sniper suggested I will go back and repaint black and orange over some of the large smooth areas which I want colored, trying to avoid the highlighted edges. Not just with the Fire Warriors but with some of my other models which I will show below in this post you will see that this is a recurring issue in my work. I think it will help make my models look a little cleaner.

I was certainly thinking more about aesthetics then accuracy when I painted that Shas'ui turned Shas'Vre haha. I guess I will have to forge some narrative to explain it... I already have a few ideas. I'll post sometime in the future with a little background about my Cadre and an explanation of why they have such high ranking Strikers. ;)

Last night I spent sometime taking higher quality pictures of my painted models as I said I would post the rest of my painted army. I recently got a new phone and it has an awesome camera so I was having allot of fun taking pictures and playing around. I'm just going to post my favorites of each squad but let me know if you want to see anything more in particular I took allooooot of pictures haha.

Strikers

Kroot Carnivores

XV25 Stealth Battlesuits

MV1 Gun Drones

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit

Pathfinder Tetras

Cadre overview

Thanks again and keep on hobbying everyone! Comments and critiques always welcome.
Blindeye Cadre Log

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 12 2017 07:25

Love the white carapace on the stealth suits. Why did you replace the stealth burst cannons with standard ones on two of them?

as for the kroot.... they are AMAZING! the cool conversion of weapons with that whitish colour really tie them into the rest of the army I think. The markings on your tetras and riptide seem almost tribal. is there a story behind that?

Well done so far.

Tau'va

Sniper

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 13 2017 01:06

The stealth suits with the standard burst cannons are magnetized so they can be swapped out for fusion blasters. At some point I was doing some conversions for a Tau variant of spacehulk featuring that stealth team and I used tow of the silenced burst cannons for a flamer conversion so they are history now haha. Later I realized I might want a team with all burst cannons and I had allot of the crisis ones laying around so I used the ones you can see in the pictures. I thought it gave the squad a little more character anyways ;) .

Thank you for the praise, I am glad you like the Kroot! Years ago I read a guide on here about converting pulse carbines into pathfinder markerlight carbines using bits from the end of the kroot gun, I was actually proxying these kroot as pathfinders for a longtime that's why I originally converted their guns. Now I just use them for what they are but I really like the look of the guns so I just left it. Like you said I feel like they help to tie them into the rest of the army.

Right now there isn't much of a story behind the markings other then I just like the look allot. I'm planning at some point to write some backstory about my Cadre, which I will add to this Log. So there will be a story behind it, there just isn't one right now haha.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Blindeye Cadre Update

Post#8 » Jul 17 2017 11:40

The past week was quite the hobby week for me. I attended the first tournament I have gone to in ages on Saturday which was a blast, in preparation for the event I desperately worked to muster the troops! I'm quite pleased with the amount of work I got done, thanks in part to help from my wonderful girlfriend. I was able to complete my goal of painting 15 Firewarriors, I also painted a Devilfish, eight Marker Drones and two Hammerhead Turrets. I actually had two Skyrays that I used allot in 7th edition as an anti-aircraft platform but with the changes to them in 8th edition I thought it was time to switch them over to Hammerheads especially with how powerful Longstrike seems to be. I wasn't able to have an entire painted list at the tournament but I get closer to that goal everyday.

15 Fire Warriors with the Cadre Fireblade

Cadre Fireblade

The Devilfish

The Two Hammerhead Gunships

The additions to the Cadre

My next goal is to finish another 15 Fire Warriors so I can field 3 squads of 10 if I want and painting my two other Devilfish. I'm going to have to buy some more paint first though I'm running dry after this past week. :P

That is all for now.
Last edited by Blindeye on Jul 17 2017 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Blindeye Cadre Log

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jul 17 2017 11:47

You did that in a week? :eek:
You paint fast! I am limited to 5 infantry models per week!(combination of slow painting and no time)
Fireblade cloak looks cool. You seem to have toned down the dry brush on the fire warrior black bits, which looks sooo much better.

Keep on hobbying

Sniper

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jul 20 2017 05:03

Hey Sniper,

Thanks for the response. I was just reading your short stories over in the library yesterday and I found it quite engrossing. I liked how you changed perspectives in that recent entry after Drake's rampage. Looking forward to more in that department!

You did that in a week? :eek:

Yeah I was really excited about the tournament, I spent my entire day off painting from sun up until about 6pm. This week I haven't gotten much done. I built and magnetized the HBC for my riptide as it seems the days of the Ion Accelerator are past for now :-(. Planning on painting the HBC and SMS for it tonight. I want to play with it because I love the model even if it isn't so competitive right now.

Still have to go back and do some work on all the black areas where I overdid the dry brushing but yeah not using the GW dry paint and going lighter with it has helped allot, thanks for that tip.

That is all.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Painting Progress Log

Post#11 » Jul 22 2017 09:44

I ended up not having much time to paint this past week and when I did I got side tracked from my goals of painting the Fire Warriors and Devilfish. I worked on two projects. First I painted the SMS and heavy burst cannon and magnetized them for my Riptide. I know the Riptide isn't that competitive right now but I wanted to play with it still since I love the model and the heavy burst cannon and SMS seems like the best load out right now just due to wait of fire and high damage potential. The Nova charged heavy burst cannon is 12 Str 6 AP -3 shots with a advanced targeting system plus the SMS thats is 20 shots a turn from the one model and he is tanky as all hell. But the point cost is still so ridiculously high, not worth it. I played a game yesterday with him and my opponent a blood angels player didn't know much about Tau and focused on it quite a bit which ended up working out in my favor in a big way but I that wouldn't happen vs. a knowledgable, experienced player.

Anyways my second project was finishing my Ghostkeel and it's drones. They were in various states of completion. Most of the base colors were on and the Ghostkeel legs were pretty close to finished. It had been sitting in my case for the past year and a half like that so I decided it was about time to get that sucker done. I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm really must trying to get paint on everything right now, then I'm planning on going back and doing some finishing touches on all of my models later on when I start to base, apply decals and seal with some kind of hard coat later on.

Anyways here is a shot of the Ghostkeel.

I fitted it with the cyclic Ion blaster and flamers as I decided I want to use it as a forward flanker and skirmisher focusing on enemy infantry. The fusion weapons combination seems good as well but not as good when QFC are a thing. I have another game scheduled on Thursday so I am hoping to get this guy on the table then, we will see how it goes.

This week maybe I will take a crack at those Firewarrior's, I would love to get a bunch more done and be able to field some big squads.

Okay that is all, keep on hobbying everyone.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Painting Progress Log

Post#12 » Jul 24 2017 10:13

Getting side tracked again from my Fire Warrior goals haha. Just ordered some bits for my Crisis suits from Reddog minis. Duel barreled beamers to use for my QFCs and the ion guns to use for cyclic ion guns as well as some flags to decorate my entire force. Super excited to get them, paint them up and get them on the table. Will post pictures of progress.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (work so far update)

Post#13 » Jul 25 2017 08:33

Today I decided to take some pictures of my painted force so far, had allot of fun getting everything out and looking at it.

Here is the Cadre in it's current state.

I'm brainstorming about basing allot these days. I'm thinking about cork board perhaps love the texture, I like the idea of grey rock underfoot or maybe some city ruins.

Looking forward anxiously to the arrival of my weapons and flags should be at least another week or so. Next I will definitely focus on some Crisis suits.

Keep on hobbying everyone.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (progress so far update)

Post#14 » Jul 29 2017 03:04

Starting a new project this weekend of stripping some old models. Now that I am pretty set on a paint scheme it is time to strip all the testers and false starts from over the years. I'm using simple green as I have had allot of success with it in the past.

Here are the models seconds before going in the simple green. I'll give it a day or two then scrub them as see how it goes. I noticed that the white cleaned up right away on some models I over washed good to a good way to remove excess wash that pooled while drying.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jul 30 2017 04:08

SniperTau wrote:You did that in a week? :eek:
You paint fast! I am limited to 5 infantry models per week!...
Sniper

5 a week? I envy even that!

Looking really good so far Blindeye, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with your bases!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (progress so far update)

Post#16 » Jul 31 2017 12:08

Blindeye wrote:Starting a new project this weekend of stripping some old models. Now that I am pretty set on a paint scheme it is time to strip all the testers and false starts from over the years. I'm using simple green as I have had allot of success with it in the past.

Here are the models seconds before going in the simple green. I'll give it a day or two then scrub them as see how it goes. I noticed that the white cleaned up right away on some models I over washed good to a good way to remove excess wash that pooled while drying.

I stripped some models exactly the same way a few years back. Looking at that picture, I can just smell the Simple Green again :D

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (paint stripping update)

Post#17 » Jul 31 2017 08:16

It's a distinctive smell haha. My hands may be permantly simple greened at this point.

My order from Reddog minis arrived today and I finished scrubbing the minis I'm stripping. Lost a firewarriors helmet piece but I think I have more. Overall fairly successful. All the paint came off but most the the primer underneath seems to be unstrippable. It's a thin layer though so I think I will just reprime or simply paint over the old primer once I give these models a good wash.

WIP of soaking the Reddog minis bits and stripped models! Can't wait to get started! Super happy with these bits, they look great and Reddog threw in quite a few extra or each super nice of them!
Blindeye Cadre Log

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (paint stripping update)

Post#18 » Jul 31 2017 11:03

Yeah primer is hard to get off...but then again, it's paint designed just to stick to surfaces so that's actually a good thing. :D

Return to “Project Logs”