Blindeye Cadre Log - Update 09/12

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log (paint stripping update)

Post#19 » Aug 01 2017 12:08

I recently stripped my cadre with simple green myself. My older paint scheme was kinda my first attempt. I had little problem repriming them and then starting anew. If you used a fairly firm brush it thins down the primer and residual paint enough to not be a problem.

There are a few models i restripped again, i don't recommend priming a 3rd time. A watered down basecoat is all thats needed to do the trick then.
Commander wiseblade

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Aug 01 2017 02:25

I recently stripped my cadre with simple green myself. My older paint scheme was kinda my first attempt.

This is exactly why I stripped these few models... my first attempts before I really got down the scheme I wanted to go for.

I used an old toothbrush and it worked wonders. The paint just fell off the models practically. But as much as I scrubbed the primer stayed put. As Panzer mentioned:

Yeah primer is hard to get off...but then again, it's paint designed just to stick to surfaces so that's actually a good thing. :D

I did notice it thinning and wearing threw on the most raised edges but I don't really think it will be necessary to completely remove and it was so much work to get any of it off. I'm going to give them a thin coat of stray primer tonight or maybe a watered down base coat as you mentioned.

I'll post some before and after pictures. :D
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 01 2017 11:40

Made a little progress tonight. Trimmed up all the washed bits and repaired and primed all the stripped models.

Excited to get the guns magnetized and on the models. Never ran CIBs before. Have a game on Thursday, looking forward to trying them out!

After a quick thin coat of primer ready for some paint!
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - WIP Update 8/1

Post#22 » Aug 03 2017 01:11

More WIP from today. Requisitioned some magnets from some bases I am not using until I can get some more. Used them to fit the new weapons for my Crisis commanders and suits.

CIB suits, love the way these sculpts look.

QFCs, also so happy with the double beamers as double fusions!

Have a game tomorrow afternoon excited to test the CIBs.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - WIP Update 8/1

Post#23 » Aug 03 2017 01:12

Heh...I may not like the Paulson weapon designs but I just had the thought that his 'Fusion Blaster' would make a very neat basis for Fusion Blades if we ever get them back. :D

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - WIP Update 8/2

Post#24 » Aug 04 2017 10:05

First based Firewarrior!
Blindeye Cadre Log

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Basing Update 8/4

Post#25 » Aug 04 2017 09:28

Very nice! I like how he seems to be standing on a chunk of asphalt. Also, I'm pretty sure you did some sort of wash. What is it?

Sniper

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Aug 05 2017 09:29

I created this base using cork board, sand and some Army builder "Mountain Tufts". No wash, this is how I did it. First I base coated in black (two thin coats of course :P ). Then once that dried I dry brushed a light grey followed up by a touch of white here in there. Last step was applying the tuft with a little glue.
Blindeye Cadre Log

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#27 » Aug 05 2017 06:59

Oh, it seems you misunderstood me. I mean on the model.
:D
Chunk of cork board eh?
I must try that.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Basing Update 8/4u

Post#28 » Aug 06 2017 12:49

Oh, my bad! I was so focused on basing I just assumed you were talking about that.

Yes, I use two washes to achieve this look on the model. First I use the GW black wash in the most recessed areas, then I follow that up when dry with a watered down layer of the GW brown wash. I like the dirty weathered look.

I tried a couple other schemes before settling on this one. I was at first going to do blue armor and orange sept color, I painted maybe five Fire Warriors (now stripped) this way. I liked the look but it was so much work per model. (I was doing allot of detail and edge highlighting).

In the end I settled on this scheme because I like the look especially on the table top and it is relatively easy and quick. Only base colors, some washes and a quick dry brush for highlighting.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Basing Update 8/7

Post#29 » Aug 07 2017 02:15

Quick update. Based the 15 painted Fire Warriors.

Here is a shot of 5 partially completed.

My partner looked at these and said, they need some green! Then she convinced me to buy some flocking, which I added to all of them. I'll upload some finished pics at some point.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Basing Update 8/7

Post#30 » Aug 10 2017 09:27

Yesterday I spent the evening working on my stealth team. For some reason I only pained 5 when I painted them (of 6) so I went back and painted the last one as a Shas'Vre to give the squad a little more flavor. Not sure if I am happy with the paint job yet. I also took the time to base all 6 stealth suits. I am just loving these guys in 8th edition. I have been running squads of 5 or 6 and giving them all advanced targeting systems. Makes them potent skirmishers.

Here is a shot of the squad. Not been great at keeping with my goals but I feel okay about it because at least I'm making progress. The last weekend of august my local shop is having their monthly tournament so my current objective is get a fully painted list together by then.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Tauguy29765
Shas

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Stealthsuits Update

Post#31 » Aug 11 2017 07:06

I absolutely LOVE your paint scheme! Be sure to keep it up. I'll try to use as many techniques as you did! ;)
Tau'va!

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#32 » Aug 13 2017 03:27

Your painting style has a hint of Frank Miller to it; possibly the sharp highlights, to great effect I might add! Fast worker too, taken me too long to get next to nothing done :)

Great work, keep it up!

p.s. I think the brighter green foliage gives the bases more an ancient ruin feel to them.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#33 » Aug 14 2017 10:37

Thank you for the responses and kind words TauGuy and n1md4. I do love a good highlighted edge!

Another quick update on the progress of the Ghostkeel.

Blindeye Cadre Log

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Blindeye Cadre Log - Ghostkeel Update

Post#34 » Aug 14 2017 11:41

Damn you're good. And fast!
I am still struggling with the same Fire Warriors I got weeks ago. And here you are with an amazing looking 'keel!
How was the painting process on this bad boy? Did you paint in multiple sub assemblies?
Keep up the great work.
Cheers!
Nix

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#35 » Aug 14 2017 02:30

Hey Nix0n,

Thanks for the kind words. I have been following the progress of your Fire Warriors they look great, you will get through them! Everyone works at their own pace, I have always been a fast worker but I often regret rushing through at the end and wish my work was more detail oriented and careful but try as I might just not me.

This Ghostkeel actually took me over a year to finish (thought maybe only 12 hours of working time. I built it just after release in 2015. Then I started painting it right away. I got a little done, then had a big life change / move. Didn't work on it for 9 months, came back and finished the legs. Only a few weeks ago I came back to it and finished the upper body and weapons. I magnetize all my models, The Ghostkeels upper body and weapons all detach from the rest. So I assembled and painted all these pieces separately before putting them together into the finished model.

Right now I'm excited about basing so came back to the Ghostkeel yesterday and made a base for it. Pretty happy with how it is right now. Will probably add some touch up, decals and a hard coat to protect the paint sometime in the future.

My local shops August tournament is coming up, I'm hoping to bring a fully painted (and based) list for the first time ever! We will see how that goes haha. ;)
Blindeye Cadre Log

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Aug 15 2017 10:22

Thanks for sharing Blindeye!
Your army is looking fantastic and having such goals as getting every model based sounds inspiring!
I can't wait to hear battlereports from your cadre!
Cheers!

Return to “Project Logs”