Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post#1 » Jul 13 2017 07:20

Fifth Sphere Expansion - 8th Edition Project Log

Welcome to my 8th Edition project log! Before I begin, let me explain a little. About ten years ago, I painted a small Tau army in a terrible, lumpy red and white paint scheme... this was before that scheme became the "box art" for the Tau Empire, so I was surprised to see it years later. Anyway, I stripped the models out of sheer embarrassment, and endured the shame of playing with a base-coated army for almost two years. Following that I spent some time playing Age of Sigmar, before realizing that playing competitive Tau was my true calling. As such, I have resolved to repaint my old Tau army the way I've always known Tau to be- in the old, classic, ochre colors of the Tau Sept!

As a painter I have many years of experience, but my skills are amateur at best. This project log won't really be a showcase, but rather models painted to a simple and decent level. It'll also be a good way to keep me on task!

HQs and Characters:
Aun'va | Status: 1/1 Assembled
Ethereal Honour Guard | Status: 2/2 Assembled
Darkstrider | Status: 1/1 Assembled
Longstrike | Status: 1/1 Sub-Assembly
Cadre Fireblade | Status: 1/1 Assembled
Commander | Status: 2/3 Magnetized, 1/3 Sub-Assembly
Ethereal | Status: 1/1 Assembled

Infantry and Drones:
New Fire Warriors | Status: 10/30 Painted, 6/30 Painting, 14/30 Sub-Assembly
Pathfinders | Status: 16/16 Sub-Assembly
Gun Drones | Status: 12/12 Painting,
Shield Drones | Status: 4/12 Painting, 8/12 Damaged
Marker Drones | Status: 4/6 Assembled, 2/6 Unassembled

Battlesuits:
XV8 Battlesuits | Status: 1/6 Magnetized, 5/6 Sub-Assembly
XV88 Broadsides | Status: 3/3 Assembled
XV25 Stealthsuits | Status: 3/6 Unassembled, 3/6 Damaged

Vehicles:
Hammerhead Gunships | Status: 1/2 Assembled, 1/2 Damaged

Thank you for checking out my collection, and I hope to finally have a Tau army I can be proud of!

Tau'va!
Last edited by Arka0415 on Oct 19 2017 10:31, edited 31 times in total.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post#2 » Jul 13 2017 07:23

[Placeholder]

Tauguy29765
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 17 2017 08:37

This army looks to be a strong one in the new edition. Will you be posting pictures of your models?
Tau'va!

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 17 2017 09:43

I just felt accute pain when I saw the 74 fire warriors in your collection. Stay strong man and keep us posted.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 19 2017 09:48

Tauguy29765 wrote:This army looks to be a strong one in the new edition. Will you be posting pictures of your models?

Thanks! I'll definitely be posting pictures. I'm currently out of the country though, so updating this thread is on hold until I get back in September.

khayman wrote:I just felt accute pain when I saw the 74 fire warriors in your collection. Stay strong man and keep us posted.

Yeah, I've thought of that too! I've painted a WHFB Empire army already though, and Fire Warriors are much easier to paint than State Troops. So, I'm looking forward to it!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Sep 16 2017 06:38

Spent too long not starting this army due to work. Anyway, here's the first Fire Warrior squad base-coated, should have these finished within the next few days!

Notice the Fire Warrior in the back with the off-color base coat- accidentally painted him with Skrag Brown instead of XV88... oops :neutral:

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Sep 17 2017 12:29

Cool man! What colour scheme are you going with?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Sep 17 2017 01:45

I love where this is going! I am excited to see people following the original scheme of Tau with arid/deserty tones (since that's where it all began from and I am really not liking the new Vior'la colours of Tau on majority of our cover art).
Although I find it really strange how you managed to paint one miniature in wrong color :P

Your painting process looks intresting. It looks like you assemble the whole miniature but left out the rifle hand so that you can paint the whole torso. How do you start? Did you basecoated the whole miniature in darked brown first and then appled the xv-88 on the armor or vice versa? I'm just asking since I am curious what is the most typical way pf painting fire warriors because there will be a lot of them to paint for me and I want to start painting them "right" now than later donw the road.
I feel like I am starting to ramble...

Keep up the great work!
I would love to see more Fire Warriors soon!
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Sep 18 2017 08:04

n1md4 wrote:Cool man! What colour scheme are you going with?

Good old Tau Ochre. Think about the box art from 5th Edition- that scheme! I'll have pictures of finished models by the end of the week! :biggrin:

nix0n wrote:I love where this is going! I am excited to see people following the original scheme of Tau with arid/deserty tones (since that's where it all began from and I am really not liking the new Vior'la colours of Tau on majority of our cover art).
Although I find it really strange how you managed to paint one miniature in wrong color :P

Thanks! Yeah, I surprised myself too. I've been painting slowly because of work, I guess I wasn't paying attention. With two coats of Tau Light Ochre though, no one will notice!

nix0n wrote:Your painting process looks intresting. It looks like you assemble the whole miniature but left out the rifle hand so that you can paint the whole torso. How do you start? Did you basecoated the whole miniature in darked brown first and then appled the xv-88 on the armor or vice versa? I'm just asking since I am curious what is the most typical way pf painting fire warriors because there will be a lot of them to paint for me and I want to start painting them "right" now than later donw the road.

Here's my process:

1. (Whole Model) Flat Black spray
2. (Cloth) Rhinox Hide > Nuln Oil > Steel Legion Drab drybrush
3. (Armor) XV88 > Tau Light Ochre > Seraphim Sepia > Tau Light Ochre > Agrax Earthshade panel lines > Ushabti Bone highlight
4. (Lenses) Khorne Red > Wild Rider Red > Spirit Stone Red glaze
5. Glue gun to model

That's about it! There are other parts too like sept marks and gyros etc too but those are straightforward. Feel free to be very sloppy on step #2, since if you get Rhinox Hide on the armor, XV88 will cover it up. Just be sure not to get any paint on the Pulse Rifle stock or helmet faceplate- those parts will remain black.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#10 » Sep 23 2017 06:45

Here's the first completed Fire Warrior:

An 'evolution' shot, if you will:

Took longer than expected but I'm excited to paint more!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Sep 23 2017 03:23

Ah. I don't know why but it sure is refreshing to see some classic Tau sept color on a Fire Warrior! :D
I really like the progress picture you took. Simple but effective!
Cheers!
Nix

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Sep 23 2017 06:57

This makes me want to scrub all my dudes clean, but that's A LOT of scrubbing. This looks awesome!
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Sep 23 2017 09:45

I see you are waiting for magnets for your XV8's. I got my first set of small craft magnets at hobby lobby for about $6 (24 pc ,3mm , 0.125 is the size on the package). They are basically the same size and shape of the a single infantry-railgun-powercell bit, (or is it a photon grenade? Generally a 2 pack bit). It is strong enough to hold fusion blasters firmly, even if the unit is moved around aggressively. I used a corded power drill to put them in lol. The magnets are still in place, but I have to pull them off carefully or it will rip out dried CA glue and all lol. I also bought even smaller neodymium magnets off ebay for $7 at size description1/32" by1/16". The smaller ebay ones are nice because I bought a precision hand drill thing that worked well at putting magnets in inconspicuously. The downside is I use typically 2-3 small magnets per hole to get a strength to keep the weapon in place. The hobby lobby magnets are way stronger but are bigger. I recommend them for weapons. They aren't good for things smaller than weapons for suits. Smallest thing I magnetized with the hobby lobby magnets is middle pods. I drilled through the flat side. On a few misslepods I did rupture the other side slightly with the powerdrill. it wasn't that big of a deal with a tiny pinch of green stuff. So don't use the hobby lobby magnets for anything thinner that that thin side of a new sculpt middle pod and you should be fine. The neodymium ones work on any but for a fusion blaster you probably need 6 and it may swivel off with enough movement. I recommend them more for support systems. I am currently attempting to magnetize a markerlighter for a firewalkers shasui with the ebay neodymium magnets. I successfully did the rifle half, working on the the markerlighter half. Hope this helps you get your suits magnetized sooner/cheaper.

As for the paint job. It looks really nice on the firewalkers. Keep up the good work

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Sep 23 2017 10:19

Also on the magnets I really like K&J Magnetics 1/8" x 1/32", N52 strength. They are based in Pennsylvania, USA if that makes a difference. So far they work great. Picked up 80 for $8.80 without shipping (shipping was $7.00 for the fastest shipping). Great for Crisis / Commanders.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#15 » Sep 24 2017 08:44

nix0n wrote:Ah. I don't know why but it sure is refreshing to see some classic Tau sept color on a Fire Warrior! :D
I really like the progress picture you took. Simple but effective!

Thanks! There's something great about the old classic colors.

Froglift wrote:This makes me want to scrub all my dudes clean, but that's A LOT of scrubbing. This looks awesome!

That's what I did some years ago! 100 models, a lot of simple green, maybe 85-90 made it out alive. Not bad. You come to love the smell of simple green after all that :D

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Sep 24 2017 03:16

Arka0415 wrote:That's what I did some years ago! 100 models, a lot of simple green, maybe 85-90 made it out alive. Not bad. You come to love the smell of simple green after all that :D

Did it have any effect on repainting them? Did the models (that survived) look fuzzy at all? And what happened to the 10% that didn't make it?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#17 » Sep 24 2017 05:00

Froglift wrote:Did it have any effect on repainting them? Did the models (that survived) look fuzzy at all? And what happened to the 10% that didn't make it?

Good question. Old paint can do weird things to a model, especially when it was applied badly/thickly- even lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush and Simple Green can't get congealed paint out of cracks and lines on the model sometimes. After a while, you look at a model and determine that it's just not worth stripping. Of course, on big/expensive models you do everything you can to get them clean, but for Fire Warriors and Drones, sometimes you just give up. :D

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Sep 24 2017 05:04

Arka0415 wrote:
Good question. Old paint can do weird things to a model, especially when it was applied badly/thickly- even lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush and Simple Green can't get congealed paint out of cracks and lines on the model sometimes. After a while, you look at a model and determine that it's just not worth stripping. Of course, on big/expensive models you do everything you can to get them clean, but for Fire Warriors and Drones, sometimes you just give up. :D

We're any of them based? I recently based and painted Two commanders and now I'm not too sure on the paint scheme but they have a bunch of rocks glued to the base. Would I have to scrape all that off to strip them?

Return to “Project Logs”