Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post#19 » Sep 24 2017 06:36

Froglift wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:
Good question. Old paint can do weird things to a model, especially when it was applied badly/thickly- even lots of scrubbing with a toothbrush and Simple Green can't get congealed paint out of cracks and lines on the model sometimes. After a while, you look at a model and determine that it's just not worth stripping. Of course, on big/expensive models you do everything you can to get them clean, but for Fire Warriors and Drones, sometimes you just give up. :D

We're any of them based? I recently based and painted Two commanders and now I'm not too sure on the paint scheme but they have a bunch of rocks glued to the base. Would I have to scrape all that off to strip them?

All based, I had used fine sand for desert bases. Assuming you used PVA glue for your bases, it'll probably loosen and remove the basing materials too. If you want to preserve the base, use a sharp hobby knife to remove the Commanders from their bases, strip them, and re-apply.

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Sep 25 2017 09:30

What color are you going to use for the base? The one that is in the art (Deep brown with greyish highlights) or a more contrasting color like green? or a mixture of both?
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Sep 25 2017 08:09

Froglift wrote:What color are you going to use for the base? The one that is in the art (Deep brown with greyish highlights) or a more contrasting color like green? or a mixture of both?

The plan so far is to use pale, tan, arid base with tufts of scrubgrass. The homeworld of the Tau Empire, T'au, is described as hot and arid with lots of savannah. Green or dark brown could contrast nicely, but I think it would look more realistic if the bases had an arid feel.

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Sep 26 2017 10:13

Looking at your Firewarriors, I see you painted the connecting joints. I heard that it isn't as strong as gluing plastic to plastic. A tip I heard but haven't tried yet when painting in subassembly is to use poster tack between the parts that you want to model this way you can paint all the areas you want and leave some plastic bare to glue together. Personally I used poster tack in my projects. It's very cheap and very useful.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#23 » Sep 29 2017 08:44

Anyone up for a 32-point game? :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Sep 29 2017 08:57

Arka0415 wrote:Anyone up for a 32-point game? :D

Sure, I'll take my Pathfinder with Rail Rifle and...well maybe he'll have a pet Seeker Missile to carry around. :D

Froglift
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Sep 29 2017 09:18

Those look amazing!
We are men of action, lies do not become us.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Sep 29 2017 01:39

Ah those Fire Warriors look so good!
How the ehck did you get those leg panels so clean and the lines so destinctively sharp!?
(Here's me struggling with getting them any definition)
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Sep 30 2017 11:40

Thanks!!

nix0n wrote:Ah those Fire Warriors look so good!
How the ehck did you get those leg panels so clean and the lines so destinctively sharp!?
(Here's me struggling with getting them any definition)

First, paint the whole leg plate (panel lines and all) with a single thin coat of XV88, let that dry, then a single coat of Tau Light Ochre. You'll get a gross brownish base color but it's good for later coat(s) of Tau Light Ochre. Then, use lots of Seraphim Sepia and really fill those panel lines- they will turn quite dark and will be easy to see. Then, using a small brush, paint the second layer of Tau Light Ochre across each panel like this:

1. Paint the 'band' across the middle horizontally, ignoring the other bits.
2. Paint the part that sticks down using vertical strokes and a tiny brush. A really tiny brush.
3. Paint the parts that stick up using short horizontal strokes.
4. Finished panel.

The trick is to keep your brush strokes perpendicular to the panel lines- that way, the bristles won't slip into the lines themselves. And don't use much paint- I mean, really, the 'depth' of paint on your brush should be shallower than the depth of the panel lines you're trying to avoid.

Anyway, then use Agrax Earthshade and shade the panel lines again, repeat steps #1-4 again, and you're good to go!

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Sep 30 2017 02:54

Amazing Arka!
Thank you very much for sharing such a nice guide.
Cheers!
Nix

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Sep 30 2017 03:09

Alternatively...just prime it black and avoid painting the lines. :D
Something else that works fairly well (better on suits where the details are more pronounced) is to get a really really fine fineliner in black and draw along the lines to make them black again. It's not exactly painting as we are used to but eh...just another tool in our toolbox, just like airbrushing. ;)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#30 » Sep 30 2017 04:10

Good stuff.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#31 » Oct 08 2017 11:47

Progress as of 10/9/17:

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Oct 08 2017 09:15

Looking Sharp, I'm kind of jealous. What is your plan for the base?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Oct 08 2017 10:52

Lostroninsoul wrote:Looking Sharp, I'm kind of jealous. What is your plan for the base?

Cracked earth and scrubland, tufts of steppe grass, that sort of thing. The kind of terrain where it would make sense to wear ochre-colored camouflage.

Drone bases will stay clear, though I'll be magnetizing the drones to their stands.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Oct 16 2017 09:16

Progress as of 10/15/17

10 Fire Warriors finished but unbased, next 6 are primed, and the Drones are magnetized (though you can't see it in the pictures). This week is going to be those 6 Drones and the Fire Warriors' bases, finally!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Oct 22 2017 09:27

Here we are with the Fire Warrior bases done, six Drones with new magnetized stands, four of those Drones finished, and six more Fire Warriors primed & basecoated.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#36 » Oct 23 2017 11:31

You are progressing with a really nice pace!

Did I get it right, but judging by you pictures your finished Fire Warriors don't actually have any armor highlights on the ochre parts.

May I ask for some close ups of those Warriors in the later log updates (if you feel like) to get a glimpse of how that looks?
I am struggling myself with deciding if I want to suffer the edge highlighting on such small and massable miniatures.

EDIT: I think I might have asked too much. The previous close pictures are good enough for me to barely see what's going on (my laptop's monitor isn't the best). And for taking a good quality close up picture can turn out as a challenging task.
Cheers!
Nix

Return to “Project Logs”