Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Arka0415's Tau Sept Project Log

Post#37 » Oct 23 2017 01:41

Right click on the image, select view image, the resolution is high enough to get up close.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#38 » Oct 23 2017 02:25

n1md4 wrote:Right click on the image, select view image, the resolution is high enough to get up close.

Thank you very much for this tip! I can't believe I couldn't realize this myself... :eek:
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#39 » Oct 23 2017 10:31

nix0n wrote:Did I get it right, but judging by you pictures your finished Fire Warriors don't actually have any armor highlights on the ochre parts.

Highlights? I haven't painted any highlights on my Fire Warriors, and I don't think I will. It already takes 2-3 hours to do one, I'm a very slow painter. If I can do one model every day I will have the army done by January, maybe. Since my army is all in sub-assembly I can't play with it until it's all done. I'm going to move forward without highlighting (maybe I'm tooting my own horn but I think they look great as-is) for the time being, and maybe once I'm all done I'll revisit them and do little highlights.

nix0n wrote:EDIT: I think I might have asked too much. The previous close pictures are good enough for me to barely see what's going on (my laptop's monitor isn't the best). And for taking a good quality close up picture can turn out as a challenging task.

I don't own a good camera, I'm just using my smartphone. So for the time being you'll just have to use my low-quality pictures! :P

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#40 » Oct 24 2017 12:14

2-3 hours for one is slow? Ahahahaha hahahaha HAHAHAHA....haaah. Man you have no idea of what it means to be a slow painter. :D

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#41 » Oct 24 2017 12:39

Very reasonable explanation for your painting process! Thank you Arka.
And I must admit that the 2-3 hours it takes to finish a model from start to finish is a great pace, because here I am still unable to finish my ten new fire warriors after months of painting the first layers :P
Cheers!
Nix

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#42 » Oct 24 2017 03:19

nix0n wrote:Very reasonable explanation for your painting process! Thank you Arka.
And I must admit that the 2-3 hours it takes to finish a model from start to finish is a great pace, because here I am still unable to finish my ten new fire warriors after months of painting the first layers :P

Panzer wrote:2-3 hours for one is slow? Ahahahaha hahahaha HAHAHAHA....haaah. Man you have no idea of what it means to be a slow painter. :D

Sorry about that! I guess I'm comparing myself to the wrong people then. Most of the guys at my local shop do 1-2 full squads per week, it's insane. I'm by far the slowest painter there, I do about one model per day, and I can paint about four or five days per week.

But then again, I take tons of shortcuts. I'm sure you guys are getting much higher quality than me! :biggrin:

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#43 » Oct 25 2017 04:54

It took well over +40 hours(spread over 3-4 weeks) for me to finish 10 breachers. ~11 hours for a single ethereal ~13 for the other. I'm at 20 hours on my commander (15 for painting, 5 for assembly and magnetization and posing and regluing after I smashed it accidentally. I poured 4 hours today painting my stormsurge cockpit (unfinished). So 2-3 is a decent pace, and really good for your level of quality. The important thing is not how long it takes to finish a model but if your happy with it. "The price of perfection is prohibitive"-tabletop minions. So the more time you spend perfecting prohibits you [from getting more done]. a lot of painting tips I read was to batch mass troops like these with a less precision than an HQ because people are unlikely to be super close inspecting these grunts, than say a leader unity or something that doesn't blend in as 'filler' in your army. That being said I'm kind of guilty painting maximum quality all the time :-p. I do it because I just started painting and it gets my practice in

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#44 » Oct 30 2017 10:08

Update as of 10/30:

Finished two Gun Drones and five Fire Warriors this week, and fourteen more models primed (and some basecoated). I'm still sticking to my one-a-day plan but Fire Warriors are getting a little tiresome! :P

Demorte
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#45 » Oct 30 2017 10:40

Looking good mate! Do you base your drones at all?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#46 » Oct 30 2017 10:45

Demorte wrote:Looking good mate! Do you base your drones at all?

For the time being, I'm not. I'm afraid that, if I base them, the arc of the small flying base and the lack of rim will make them look odd compared to the other standard bases. But, it's not like I can't base them in the future. Once I have more models finished, I'll revisit the drone bases and see what I think.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#47 » Oct 30 2017 11:43

It's not hard to put Drones on regular bases either. Drill a small hole in a regular base with your hobbyknife and push the pin into the hole. It's a tight fit and won't even require you to glue the pin into the base. Did that for my Vespid conversion and it's what I'll do with all my Drones eventually.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#48 » Nov 15 2017 08:09

I haven't updated for a while but I haven't stopped painting! Here we are with 30 finished models (1/3 of the total force!) and 8 more on the way (4 Shield Drones and 4 Fire Warriors in the back). From here on out, it's those Shield Drones, a a total of 9 more Fire Warriors, then the big project- the Fireblade!

Lostroninsoul
Shas'Saal

Post#49 » Dec 02 2017 03:18

They look good arka. Keep up the good work :)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#50 » Dec 04 2017 08:52

Update as of 12/3:

I've finished 3 more Fire Warriors and basecoated 6 more! Here's a picture of my current "batch" of models..

...and a group photo of everybody so far!

Return to “Project Logs”