[Project] TwilightFox's Tau Army

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
TwilightFox
Shas'Saal

Re: [Project] TwilightFox's Tau Army

Post#19 » Aug 08 2017 08:05

Shas'O Bentu'nan wrote:Fantastic! It looks great!

I very glad you post your progress, its fun to follow along!

Glad you enjoy my posts! I benefit from the steady feedback as well.

Truth be told, I was afraid for a little bit that I was posting a bit too often, since other projects weren't updated as often I was updating mine. Glad to hear that's not the case. :)
TwilightFox's Profile (Link)
TwilightFox's Tau Army (Link)

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Aug 08 2017 11:42

Can't say I'm a fan of that color scheme of yours, however you should definiely either leave the bases black or do proper basing. You really need the contrast.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#21 » Aug 09 2017 01:06

TwilightFox wrote:...Truth be told, I was afraid for a little bit that I was posting a bit too often, since other projects weren't updated as often I was updating mine. Glad to hear that's not the case. :)

Definitely not keep it up! If I had as much hobby time as I liked I'd be posting all the time :D

TwilightFox
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Aug 09 2017 05:07

Panzer wrote:Can't say I'm a fan of that color scheme of yours, however you should definiely either leave the bases black or do proper basing. You really need the contrast.

Yeah, the bases are definitely just a placeholder. The purple bases were a side effect of the spray-priming process. I'm thinking of going for a darker color scheme for the proper bases once the squad is finished. Druchii Violet, perhaps?

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Aug 09 2017 08:30

The colors are really cool! Although as a color scheme sure looks really different. I like how you also decided on painting the visor in another color. Those ones are a pain to get straight with neat lines.
The DS8 turret looks fantastic! I love to look of it with those colors!

Also just keep posting as much as you need! Myself, I post as much as I need to keep myself on track no matter if the progress is slow or people won't care anymore. Such logging keeps me motivated. So keep on posting some good stuff!
Cheers!
Nix

TwilightFox
Shas'Saal

Post#24 » Aug 14 2017 08:37

Update:

So, I finally got the rest of the squad basecoated, then gave them a wash with Strongtone Quickshade to darken the details. Then I went back over the raised areas with the original Alien Purple or Lava Orange as a rough highlight, and I've started doing edge highlights with a 3:1 mixture of Alien Purple and Matte White (makes a nice lavender color).

I only got three men in before I noticed myself getting sloppy and tired, so I called it a night. I'll finish the purple edge highlights, then come back and do the same with the Orange.

I think I need to do a little drybrushing on the Necromancer Cloak to highlight it a bit too. You guys argee?

Anyway, without further ado, here are some pictures of my progress:

Highlighted Shas'la.

Same models from the side. Note the lavender highlights on the edges of the shoulderpads.

Shas'ui with basecoat, shading, and hit again with the original colors to brighten it up again.

Shas'ui from the side.

Strike Team 1 is finaly up to Tabletop Standard!

TwilightFox
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Oct 27 2017 08:17

UPDATE:

Sorry for the lack of progress these last couple months. Things got busy for me during September and my attention had to be placed elsewhere. Fortunately though I think the worst of things is behind me, and I'm finding myself drawn to the workbench again.

Here's what I've done recently: My first set of XV8 Crisis Suits, fully magnetized.

In putting these suits together I learned three important things:

1) Magnets are the best thing since sliced bread. I had never tinkered with magnets until this set of Crisis suits, and I must say that I'm hooked.

2) Superglue Activator is your best friend. I bought a bottle of activator to use to help in magnetization, and I was not disappointed in the least. Only downside I've found is the white residue that seems to happen if you use too much of it, but as long as I can paint over that it shouldn't be a problem.

3) I despise antennae and kneecaps. Seriously. Tiny little fiddly bits. I think I ended up getting more glue on my fingers than I did the model. I knew from my Firewarrior squad that the antennae would be trouble, but I had hoped battlesuit antennae would be a bit easier to work with. Such does not seem to be the case (at least for me).

--------------------------

As for where I'm going from here, I've purchased a second Start Collecting box and a Commander, so in the short-term I plan on assembling a second Firewarrior squad and Crisis team. I also plan on taking the extra firewarrior bits and assembling a second Shas'ui for each squad, so I can run them as two 5-man squads if I want.

On my shopping list is a second commander and a third Start Collecting box, so I'll have 3 10-man FW squads (with 3 extra Shas'uis to make 6 5-man squads), 9 Crisis suits (more than enough), 3 Ethereals, 2 Commanders, and 26 Drones (I'm thinking 14 Shield Drones, 6 Gun Drones, and 6 Markerlight Drones). That should give me a solid start to a decent army.

After all that's done I'll either start working toward a Stealth Cadre (Stealth Suits and a Ghostkeel) or some Heavy Support in the form of Longstrike and a couple Hammerheads. Not sure which yet, but that's a long way off still, so I've got plenty of time to think it over.

So yeah. That's where I'm at right now, if any of you guys are still following along. :)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Oct 27 2017 10:58

Huh. Always found fiddly bits fun.

Return to “Project Logs”