Niort Cadre (campaign/modeling log) First suit done

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
jmac22
Shas'Saal

Niort Cadre (campaign/modeling log) First suit done

Post#1 » Jul 30 2017 12:32

Hey!

Super excited to finally start a log like this.
I'm a returning player for 8th edition. Quit around 4th and have been playing Infinity since. Mostly a tournament player for Infinity, but want to rekindle that narrative love for Warhammer.

This log will be used for motivation/organization for my upcoming campaign/diorama force. I'm mostly a hobbyist first, so my models might not fit some specifications.

I plan on covering battle reports, and a campaign on here as well as my hobby progress.

-boring progress log part-
1x fire warrior team (1/10)
1x fire warrior team (0/10)
1x fire warrior team (0/12) (need stripping)
1x crisis suit team (0/3)
1x commander (0/1)
1x cadre fireblade (0/1)
2x devilfish (0/2)
1x broad side (0/1)
1x riptide (0/1)
1x kroot pack (1/10)

FireWarrior Image

Full album: FireWarrior/1 https://imgur.com/gallery/guIgF

(Is this an acceptable image format?)

This is my test scheme for my FireWarrior. Our campaign is a desperate city fight over a certain set of districts in a hive. My friend will be a PDF commander trying to show up to his father in law, the Planetary Governor. And I'm some generic Tau commander. I'm aiming for a dirty, battle damaged look that will also stand out for competitions. Some minor details like the head tattoo and cut on his knee.

I've got some Kroot coming up next, and a suit. Hopefully set the tone for the rest of it.

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by jmac22 on Aug 18 2017 02:28, edited 2 times in total.

Ricordis
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Niort Cadre (campaign/modeling log)

Post#2 » Jul 30 2017 12:54

T'au have blue blood. And head injuries blood as hell, trust me :D

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jul 30 2017 01:10

Ricordis wrote:T'au have blue blood. And head injuries blood as hell, trust me :D

Depends on who you ask. Last thing I've heard is that T'au have red blood as everyone else. ;)

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 30 2017 01:22

Really nice paintjob! I like the dramatic pose, and grenade belt.

You can put the image in-text, rather than just a link by hovering over the image (on imgur) and clicking the arrow (top right)-> Get share links, then (bottom left) BBC code (forums) -> click the blue copy tag to the left and paste into your post where ever you want.

Looking forward to more!

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jul 30 2017 01:25

Ironsky wrote:Really nice paintjob! I like the dramatic pose, and grenade belt.

You can put the image in-text, rather than just a link by hovering over the image (on imgur) and clicking the arrow (top right)-> Get share links, then (bottom left) BBC code (forums) -> click the blue copy tag to the left and paste into your post where ever you want.

Looking forward to more!

Or just rightclick on the image, get the image url and put it in img brackets here. :D

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 01 2017 01:11

Huh. That would have been easier, but as they seem to have changed things now, its a bit of a moot point :P

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 01 2017 01:21

Looking great, and I lough the beat-up paintjob. My only complaint is that backpack; seeing them upside-down like that is...triggering. :dead:

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#8 » Aug 01 2017 07:12

Orpheus Hangar wrote:Looking great, and I lough the beat-up paintjob. My only complaint is that backpack; seeing them upside-down like that is...triggering. :dead:

What's amusing is that it makes way more sense. The connected part acts as a handle to pull wounded peo0le into cover, and the extra pulse mags are significantly easier to access.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

jmac22
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 08 2017 07:44

Thanks everybody! Responses at bottom.

Quick update with various things. Got a Kroot test model done. Have had this poor thing for years now. One of the first models I painted. Decided to give him new life.

Happy with how it came out individually. Although I'm still awful at photographing miniatures. It's ironic since my main profession revolves around cameras and media.

Zooming out would probably help my cause. But eh.

The face paint is in the shape of a Kroot hand.
Torn on using true metallic metals in this force. Maybe sticking it to Kroot only.

I have done some work on other models. Here are my two devil fish so far. Just rough works in progress.

Air brush is broken so these will have to wait awhile.

Super busy for the next while but I will try to keep updated.

On another front, I'm attempting to start wargaming based Youtube Channel:
"Enemy Spotted"

Worked on the intro video here:
https://youtu.be/Enr5lnUcBoo

Just a fun little thing.

Battlereport Recap:

Had my friend over for the campaign. Just some fun games to get used to 8TH edition. He played Imperial guard.
1500 points

Lists were something like:
Commander 3x CIB ATS
3x Suits Flamer/2x Fusion, 2x CIB/ATS
Breacher with Dark Strider in a DevilFish
Strike team with Missile turret
Pathfinders with 3x Ion Rifle
Ghost Keel
Kroot
Long Strike
Pirhana

IMperial Guard:
Company Commander
3x vets in chimeras
Pask
Leman Russ
2x Manticores
Special Weapons squad in Chimera
2x Infantry squads
Raven wing squads (?)
Chaplain on bike
Attack bikes

I swept him both times playing our first Maelstrom Games.
I ilke 8th edition as a rules set, but Tau honestly seem to be pretty gimped. Bs3 Sucks on our suits. And the markerlight table was frustrating to work with in any capacity. My saving grace was the Ghostkeel and commander unsurprisingly. Everything else was negligible with Longstrike doing laughable damage. My Pirhana was star of the game with it and it's drones tying up at least one manticore every turn and dodging a few attack bikes.

GhostKeel was a ton of fun to play and I look forward to buying/painting one. It's flame throwers and stealth made it super tanky. And it chased down a few squads of regulars buying time for the commander/Suit team to sweep away a strong flank.

Overall the new edition is cool. Definitely going to play with some older rules and models. But I like how fast/killy it is.

Responses:
@Ricordis: Eh, it looks cool
@Orpheus Hangar: !!!!! I've gotten that a few times now. It looks so right with the handle ontop though! Hmm

Finishing up a crisis suit next, look forward to posting here more.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Aug 09 2017 01:14

Great scheme for your Kroot! I really like the body paint and the wood effect on the rifle stock. The entrenched-look Devilfish are interesting, I look forward to seeing them painted!

khayman
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 09 2017 04:50

Man, the upside down backpack (which really does make more sense this way) had me run into the GW web site in panic to confirm I hadn't glued mine the "wrong" way.

jmac22
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 18 2017 02:27

Thank you guys!

Been slaving away trying to get everything done for a battle report this Saturday. I'll post it up when I get the chance.

Here's a finished suit.WARNING PHONE PHOTOS
I'm going to go back and touch it up eventually (Especially the base) but am satisfied for tabletop quality.

I'm using him as an Xv9 or Cyclic Ion blaster suit/commander. Been finding Ion Blasters to be amazing.

Return to “Project Logs”