Colony Security Force. A project log by Knives

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Knives
Shas'Saal

Colony Security Force. A project log by Knives

Post#1 » Aug 04 2017 12:59

So I figured I would put this paint blog in the right place.

I finalized my theme. A Colony Security Force.

In this update I re -painted the shoulders of the sgt shas somthin.

Next will be to find some amethyst for the bases. And glue on thr arieal head stick transmitter thingy.

Onward to glory!!

A link to orginal paint blog .

If you wanted to see how it started out.

viewtopic.php?p=330958#p330958

Last edited by Knives on Aug 06 2017 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Re: Colony Defense Force. A project log by Knives

Post#2 » Aug 06 2017 06:00

Update.

Gave the cmdr some color. And magnatized the gun rig after a few mishaps. It fits really well now.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Re: Colony Security Force. A project log by Knives

Post#3 » Aug 06 2017 09:51

A little about the theme of the army as it develops over time.

It's based on a security force guarding a colony that is a beautiful snow covered relaxation planet full of hot springs and. Amethyst crystal mountains.

The colony was established to assist water caste in negotiations with xenos dignitaires and merchants, on the edge of tau space. It is fast becoming a trade hub and is attracting a lot of traders and all the pit falls of merchantile endevours.

Thus a security force was assambled.

I am painting the army to represent an alien police force. To me I felt that purple did the trick in stead of red white and blue police. I wanted it to seem well alien. It stands to reason the tau being non human might place different values on colors. Purple blue White.

Anyways hope you guys like it.

I will be working on flushing out the back story. Any suggestions on novels featuring tau.

(Edited)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 07 2017 08:34

Update.

Posed the cmdr. I decided to add the coldstar jets to make the model more dynamic. Despite running it as a regular cmdr. I will figure out weapons and support systems later probably magnatized. The magnets I currently have for bases are larger than I would like.

The model was under coated grey. So the arms are undercoated. I love brushes so I will be layering on the purple and white for the base coat after.

This model was a little bit of a challange. I had a hard time assembling it.

I really like the pose and I'm happy with the results so far.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 09:52

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 09 2017 11:07

On this update. I started to assemble breachers. I know some models are not finished yet, like the pathfinders and strike team. But I've found this erratic painting method keeps things intresting. And I get more work done quickly.

I also undercoated a hammer head that I picked up today. Not sure what to do with it yet.

As you can see I have a long way to go.

Thanks guys.

(Edited)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 12 2017 11:56

Another update. I started to finalize the breacher color scheme and paint the devil fish.

I really like how the fish came out.

nix0n
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Aug 13 2017 04:05

Fantastic work on the devilfish! This and the breachers will look amazing together!
What kind of tape/stencils you used for achieving such nice tiger stripe? I'm hesitant on using any masking tape since I am not sure how it will peel of...
Cheers!
Nix

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 13 2017 09:10

nix0n wrote:Fantastic work on the devilfish! This and the breachers will look amazing together!
What kind of tape/stencils you used for achieving such nice tiger stripe? I'm hesitant on using any masking tape since I am not sure how it will peel of...

I used green painters tape. Very cheap stuff actually. Nothing fancy. Yeah just cut out long shapes stuck them to the hull. Spray and done.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 14 2017 01:09

So here we have the freshly base coated hammer head.

After another few coats of white it will be prepped for spraying.

The next step will be to cut out a pattern from the painters tape. I intend to replicate the above tiger stripe effect.

I will take pics of the process for posterity.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 15 2017 05:59

Here I'm starting to tape up the hammer head before spraying. Following the same method as before.

Hopefully it will look okay.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 15 2017 07:50

And the results look great.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Aug 16 2017 04:09

Very striking colour scheme, will be great to see them in a group photo when they're done. The camo effect too, simple technique, yet very effective. Nice.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 16 2017 06:20

n1md4 wrote:Very striking colour scheme, will be great to see them in a group photo when they're done. The camo effect too, simple technique, yet very effective. Nice.

Thank you.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Aug 17 2017 05:44

Now all I have to do is some clean up on the model to correct some mistakes.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 23 2017 01:52

I can't stand the tanks. The tiger stripe is cool. But it reminds me of a pimps couch from the 1980's.

The purple and tiger stripe clash to much. Again cool but not happy with the results.

I think I'm going to go with all purple with white highlights like the larger suits. Pretty much black paint where the tiger stripe currently is. Then top with purple. Simple a lot less flashy. Had my whole army been white. The tiger stripe would be great. But the purple ruins it for me.

Perhaps the body purple and turrurt seat purple but leave the barrel of the rail gun tiger stripe.

Leaving the thrusters white. While the side burst cannons are purple with white accents. Maybe it will look okay then. I keep the stripe on the gun but also blend the model in with the army in a more subtle way.

Anyways your thoughts?

Maybe you guys have an Idea to save the model?

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 23 2017 02:48

Add extra blues in over the top of it and it will look more camo and less pimp touched.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Aug 24 2017 05:22

Update. I started a repaint of the tanks. The new direction for their colour scheme is working well.

Pics to come soon.

But in the meantime, a combat ready Ethereal wip.

Return to “Project Logs”