[IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
IceFall
Shas

Re: [IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post#37 » Dec 19 2017 06:06

A quick muse on basing (this is a bit of a tongue-in-cheek update but found out some things):

So, since my guys are from some kind of ice world, or have been fighting there or something I got curious as to how they might look in context so I made some ice... so maybe I didn't make ice but I found some:

So, for a brief moment deep in the north of Italy stood guard a solitary FireWarrior:

In an interesting turn out - that model survived three 12 hour days in up to -10/11 degree weather - in the outside pocket of a hardshell jacket. He also survived my multiple submersions in chest deep snow, and I fell on to him several times etc. He survived - a few scratches, but he survived.

So - what did I learn: 1. No-one should be concerned about storing their miniatures in cold places, 2. I think its time to put some 'snow' on my bases, 3. The colour scheme kinda works.

My next update will be about my XV8s and some new basing.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 21 2017 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

Spottington
Shas

Post#38 » Dec 19 2017 03:29

Hey Icefall, I definitely am impressed with your cadre, the models look great in an amazingly short time!

Besides that, nice climbing pics! I think those are the Nomics? (I use Quarks). It's good to see a fellow climber on here.

IceFall
Shas

Post#39 » Dec 21 2017 05:44

Spottington wrote:Hey Icefall, I definitely am impressed with your cadre, the models look great in an amazingly short time!

Besides that, nice climbing pics! I think those are the Nomics? (I use Quarks). It's good to see a fellow climber on here.

Yes they are the Nomics - an excellent piece of kit I cant do without. Undecided about having Quarks or BD Cobra's as my back-ups. Leaning towards the BD kit because I am tired of biting in to ice cold axes when I forget myself!

IceFall
Shas

Re: [IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre: XV8s

Post#40 » Dec 21 2017 06:05

UPDATE #15

Live Project Build

I have finally finished my XV8's - not yet done with all of the weapon options, but the XV8 bodies are now fully painted, based and magnetised:

Started finishing these up about two weeks ago but got distracted by finishing up weapons and going on a short holiday. I had all the little things left - the gold, the vents, the decals, the lens, the jet packs etc.

I'm not really going to put many progress photos re that as its nothing new - I will however focus on the basing as thats a new direction for the army.

BASING:

So, when I got back from holiday a couple of days ago I had basing materials waiting for me - I knew I couldn't cover every base with grass for all models - not least due to the prohibitive cost of that given the size of my army - so invested in some stones.

To keep consistent with the rest of my army I used grass tufts and Ice crystals.

And then I filled in the gaps with PVA glue and Large Stones and some stone dust:

There is only one thing to note here re my XV8 collection: I really, really, really don't like the jet packs. I have painted them up - but these new XV8s look so slick without them. Therefore, I have a magnet behind the head for a third hard point for a weapon.

FINISHED:

Spottington
Shas

Post#41 » Dec 22 2017 12:24

I'd love to talk about climbing all day, especially ice climbing as winter gets going, but this isn't the right place. I will say, a trip to the north of Italy to get on some good ice sounds awesome, it's not quite formed up near me yet but I'm hoping for a good cold winter :D

As a cold aficionado myself, I wanted to have my cadre in a snowy scene. I really like what you've done with the ice crystals on the bases. If you're planning to add some snow, it's not too difficult or time consuming to get good results. I found these links helpful:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/01/details-8-ways-to-base-with-snow.html
http://grudginglyread.blogspot.com/2014/02/tutorial-cheap-easy-snow-for-warhammer.html

-Spot

IceFall
Shas

Post#42 » Dec 24 2017 09:19

Spottington wrote:I'd love to talk about climbing all day, especially ice climbing as winter gets going, but this isn't the right place. I will say, a trip to the north of Italy to get on some good ice sounds awesome, it's not quite formed up near me yet but I'm hoping for a good cold winter :D

As a cold aficionado myself, I wanted to have my cadre in a snowy scene. I really like what you've done with the ice crystals on the bases. If you're planning to add some snow, it's not too difficult or time consuming to get good results. I found these links helpful:

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2010/01/details-8-ways-to-base-with-snow.html
http://grudginglyread.blogspot.com/2014/02/tutorial-cheap-easy-snow-for-warhammer.html

-Spot

Agreed - most of it hadn't reach the ground where I was too - all too often some pretty dicey M6-7 to get to only WI4. For those interested - each Ice Axe is basically a KX139 ...Warhammer is very inexpensive when compared to most variations of climbing!

Back to TAU: Thanks for the snow tips - I did actually have globs of snow using snow 'flock' and PVA glue but by the time it dried it was mostly clear - which I was not expecting - I think I didn't leave a heavy enough layer of flock.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 24 2017 09:44, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#43 » Dec 24 2017 09:43

UPDATE #16

Semi-Live build

So, about the same time I finished my first pass on the XV8's I finished my Commanders. I have six because way back when I was planning to create 'the Eight'. I didn't like the idea of using XV8's because I wanted them to stand out.

With 8th edition coming during my painting cycle (so close to being complete now!) it didn't make sense to have them painted in a way which didn't match the rest of my army. I know I don't play - but I see no sense in not leaving that option available. If only for re-sale value.

Like the XV8's, I completed the jetpacks, LR Burst Cannons, and gold flourishes during this thread. I am not sure about what decals to use yet and still need to add nuln oil ... but I just ran out and its xmas and not available on PrimeNow.

--- snip ---

Here we are - all six. All of these are magnetised (jetpacks, weapon points etc) making each Commander variation available to every model. I chose armour front plates and heads at random based on what I liked at the time.

Normal Commander:

Coldstar Commander:

--- snip ---

As I was finalising these Commanders I was honestly getting a bit bored because Tau are all armour plates - no real details.

As such the SpaceWolves box was opened. I bought an entire army (new) with the intention of putting them on to the TAU bases or over shoulders. That will no longer happen so I painted up my first ever Space Wolves model over the course of last night and this morning: Bjorn the Fell-Handed.

I really wish we had some Tau Models which had these flourishes - because due to the details Bjorn looks so much better painted but required no more skill :?. Here is the start of my next army (don't worry admins/mods I won't cover that here) next to my current: the old Dreadnoughts are tiny!

Return to “Project Logs”