[IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
IceFall
Shas

[IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post#1 » Nov 22 2017 07:07

Welcome to My Project Log.

Back at the tail end of Q1 I started buying Tau, on somewhat of a whim. This forum, and Noel Whitmore's Tau https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGNZG7XnNIc (way to go VisiCast for BatReps with banter) became my primary sources for painting inspiration.

This project log will encompass both my ongoing projects - and my previously completed models. Which is which will be highlighted at the top of each post.

---- snip ----

I thought that if I started posting this project log that I might pay it forward and may well inspire someone else. It might also force me to finish the exercise. As of today I have around 13,000 points without support systems in my possession (and a little issue with impulse control). I'll try to update this with some degree of regularity then toss the lot into a gallery afterward like the chap with the Camo flavoured Tau did.

I have my HQs & Ethereals, a couple of odds and sods, and around 200 magnetised weapons left to paint.

Boy do I need inspiration to work with the utter failure and epically misnamed 'FineCast' (FarSight, Aun'Va, ShadowSun etc.) - a medium through which GW seems to have charged headlong from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. Seriously, if FineCast were the first thing I bought back at the beginning of the year I would have stopped collecting there and then. I'm pretty sure I will buy the WarGame Exclusive Greater Good character suite to replace each 1:1 in the coming week because of recent attempts to paint those solid form series of Dog's Eggs.

--- snip ---

Anyway, to kick it off - here is a great picture I took recently to start off with a nod to a beginner mistake - on the right are all the colours I bought and never used. On the left are the only colours I ever used. I paint and AirBrush entirely in Vallejo AIR excepting anything like a lens where I use GW R/G/Y.

Ahead of time - English is also not [technically] my dominant language so I can screw up things like capitalisation and because a) I write exactly like I speak and b) certain aspects of my day job have me favouring them.... I can use monstrous run-on sentences.

Peace.

My Membership profile: viewtopic.php?t=26834
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 10:04, edited 3 times in total.
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

IceFall
Shas

Re: [IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post#2 » Nov 23 2017 01:23

UPDATE #1

Previously completed model.

So to start at the beginning for context as I begin my project log - the first model I bought and assembled was a StormSurge. I have just finished my first pass (no decals, no basing) as I left the gun until about a week ago (got distracted by making my own cases - more to come on that).

Here she is. I actually like the model, this and the ghostkeel seem kin whereas the Riptide stands a bit alone.

She dissembles into many pieces (since it was the first thing I painted I wanted the ability to re-paint in sub-assemblies) now I am very glad of this as it means it fits (just) into the same cases I use for the rest of my army.

I didn't take any in-progress pictures of this one, but here are a few different views. I don't like the pods that would otherwise swirl around the back of the gun - so they aren't there.

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 10:02, edited 3 times in total.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Nov 23 2017 03:33

Very nice! 13,000 points! Great paint scheme with the blue and grey. I can see why for such a big painting job you would want an airbrush! Look forwards to seeing more!

Sniper

IceFall
Shas

Post#4 » Nov 23 2017 05:28

Thank-you, and yes I have to use an airbrush (I have gone through 5/6). This is the first time I have painted anything (Warhammer or otherwise) and so after a little fooling around with it found it was best option by far for the look I want to achieve.

UPDATE #2

Previously completed model (except guns)

Being one who is prone to jumping in feet first...... my second model and my second assembly was a KX139 ta'unar supremacy armour :?.

This is my favourite model and two weeks ago I painted the guns and completed my first pass. I think the guns turned out well and the model too.

For my second model I think my shading went well and this side shot hopefully demonstrates that:

As before, this chap is fully magnetised should I need to re-paint or transport with ease. This is the only model (haven't bought the new TigerShark just yet) I can't put in my standard modular and magnetic transport cases but he does fit in a small Citadel Hard Case with ease.

Some smaller summary shots:

From the left:

From the right:

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#5 » Nov 26 2017 07:20

UPDATE #3 - ONE DAY BUILD ... with proper photos this time.

Live project build

Hello all.

So, yesterday morning I was super hungover. As such, my plans for the day went down the drain. I jumped in a taxi to the nearest GW store and picked myself up a SunShark Bomber / RazorShark Striker Fighter to begin my flyer collection. I decided I wanted to build and paint (first pass) that same day. As will soon become clear it became quite an effort.

I really like the model, and think it fits in well with the Remora, the StormSurge and the Ghostkeel. Smaller than I expected.

Prepare for a build log. I was going to post this last night but by the time I finished I was so tired.

1. 13:45

The thing is cut from the sprue. A quick look at the parts told me I could likely paint this almost completely in sub-assemblies. But time would tell if that was a good idea.

2. 14:12

Looking at the drones told me that a lot of magnetisation would be required if I wanted to be able to swap this between being a SunShark Bomber and a RazorShark Striker Fighter. I hid some strong magnets inside the RazorShark drone parts which would more than do the job when I put magnets inside the main drone body.

3. 14:45

Yup, painting in sub-assemblies was a good idea - I could use the airbrush where I would otherwise normally use a paintbrush and multiple layers. Also, hopefully this shows but I was able to blend my Dark Ghost Grey and Wolf Grey to a nice gradient. Even though this is underneath the model and unlikely to be seen by anyone but me (and ATT) but that rings true for my entire army to be honest!

4. 14:59

I decided that I wanted more grey than I have used on my battle suits. This would bring the model closer in to line with my Remora Drones (My only other Flyers). Having these side panels grey made them kin with those drones. You can see by the splatter the poor quality of my £10 amazon AirBrush. Meh - it will do.

5. 15:29

So, having painted a gradient on the grey parts of the model I was left with an issue - it needed to dry before I would risk using masking tape on those sections and painting the rest of the body blue. Time to start painting some of the other low-hanging fruit.

6. 20:08

I went out for a few hours (although I did do a few other easy parts beforehand). Rookie mistake and this took its toll at the tail end of the build. I came back with a few bottles of wine to help push through the hard yards.

So, being dry and no longer tacky I masking taped the grey parts entirely. Here goes nothing.

7. 20:12

My first and leading edge layer is done - Electric Blue. My standard approach is to put this on and decide (depending on the model) if it is going to be a soft blend with French Blue (like the KX139) or a harsh arrival at the Electric Blue (like the StormSurge)

8. 20:22

Soft blend it is. This was more determined by the poor quality of my airbrush - I couldn't do a hard Electric Blue leading edge because the French Blue spotted into it all over the place (bad airbrush). After a lot of on the fly colour mixing between the two and wet blending with the airbrush I was done. Luckily the model was dry enough and the masking tape came off without taking paint with it - see right wing panel. The gradient does look better in real life.

9. 20:27

It was time to check in and take stock of where I had got to. Not as far as I wanted to be honest - I'm unfamiliar with the model and was and figuring out my paint scheme and magnetisation on the fly ...:crafty:.

10. 20:54

It was time to start putting in some of the pre-painted panels. I really like how this has turned out and I left the Electric Blue harsh on the leading edge underside.

11: 20:58

Test fitting of the engines to see the what order I need to glue things in. I am mainly trying to see how the Seeker Missiles are going to land :crafty: when I glue them to the model.

12: 21:12

Seeker Missiles are in - these took a while to place. I want them to be able to lower and raise from the main body. After a little bit of jiggling during the glueing they can.

13: 21:23

I needed a tissue for my issue here. A bit of dry-fitting highlighted a potential banana skin. Flight stands. With my modular transport cases this model won't fit while its on its stand. I'm only happy with my KX139 being in that category. So I need to find a way of the flight stand being removable but stable... magnets.

14: 21:30

My bodge-job solution. Raised Magnets over the flying stand entrance.

Basically invisible but should come in useful. Struts are on now too.

15: 23:23

Took a break and went on YouTube for a a while. Then it was time for some magnetisation, standard turret magnetisation here. Lame photo so here is the song I was listening to at the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTonTHN0U_M.

16: 00:05

Last batch was now ready to be painted. The finish line was in sight. It was past midnight but I was going to get this thing done. My progress slowed significantly. I was very tired from this point on.

17: 00:09

More magnetisation. These hot-swappable drones sucked during the magnetisation process. I figured it out eventually but doing it for the first time this tired was foolish. Lame photo so here is the song I was listening to at the time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmCsrKfNvFw. Was getting into acoustic songs with female vocals music last night.

18: 02:42

I wasn't too diligent taking photos (nor did I progress particularly quickly during the period) but I finally finished the magnetisation.

19: 02:55

FINISHED!!

SUNSHARK BOMBER:

RAZORSHARK STRIKE FIGHTER:

And here is is all together. Phew.

There are still a few areas I need to tidy up a little, a few little paint splotches in the wrong places but it will do for a first pass.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:33, edited 1 time in total.

Ifrit
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Nov 26 2017 11:51

First off looking good. My two cents would be to get an airbrush medium (it’ll help make the paint come out smoother like Vallejo airbrush thinner) and to deal with splattering if you take an old toothbrush and run the tip of your airbrush over it it’ll take off the paint build up and prevent splattering. (Although white and light greys are pretty bad about.)

IceFall
Shas

Post#7 » Nov 28 2017 11:25

UPDATE #4

Live project build

A bit boring but I think this project log should be warts and all.

I have a lot of 'bits'. Last night I decided to organise these. This is what this update covers. As this is a boring update I give you the song of my people as recompense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktiONWfSL48 (This is also truly fantastic music video).

So:

1/3: I had previous put all my bits into random small plastic bags and then into the the largest Forgeworld bag which came with the KX139. Trust me, that bag is HUGE. Very unorganised and not an efficient nor effective storage solution.

2/3: I bought 100 1.5" by 2.5" (oh hello freedom units) baggies to split this all in to. I was going to the level of dividing into individual support systems so should work for the majority of bits.

This:

To this:

3/3:

With everything packaged far more appropriately I then put it all into two of these great tackle boxes (https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMPARTMENTS-U ... =lunar+box)

So there we have it, bits for a 13,000 points army organised as best I can.

Peace.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 28 2017 11:27

Ifrit wrote:First off looking good. My two cents would be to get an airbrush medium (it’ll help make the paint come out smoother like Vallejo airbrush thinner) and to deal with splattering if you take an old toothbrush and run the tip of your airbrush over it it’ll take off the paint build up and prevent splattering. (Although white and light greys are pretty bad about.)

Thank-you and I will use the thinner on my next few models. One of my rookie mistakes was buying thinner and never using. As I didn't use it I threw it away. I have gone through six air brushes since - because I ruin seals and needles when I clean (which I have to do more often due to un-thinned paint).

IceFall
Shas

Post#9 » Nov 28 2017 11:56

UPDATE: #5

Live project build

As the last update bored me to tears when writing I quickly snapped some more photos of newly painted models.

This also works from a timeline perspective as these were the 4th and 5th model sets I purchased. Oh boy was I disappointed when I looked closely at the models when they came. Hello Failcast. Shame because from a distance they are great.

So

Space Pope (Aun'Va, Master of the Undying Spirit):

I really loved the look of this model, clearly the GW website model is from a different resin run because mine was terrible. I can't really paint faces yet as you can see here :(. Its very thinly coated so when I get better I will re-paint. From 30cm+ the blending comes out well and it looks quite good on the whole.

All my Ethereals have a lot more gold on them than anything else in my army. I put in place of where I might otherwise use grey.

I magnetised him so he would fit in my troop storage solution.

Sniper Team.

Again, I loved the look of the model. I was going to get 3-4 sets (just because) but due to the poor quality of the model I won't. FineCast is the only reason I don't have a lot more of these. The shoulder pad and backpack were SO badly cast I cut them off and used plastic versions.You will see that I put my backpacks on upside down. I prefer the way this looks and have done so for all my Fire Warriors too.

All together:

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:34, edited 2 times in total.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Nov 28 2017 12:09

I have to say, your colour scheme (and your painting skills!) is absolutely gorgeous!

I didn't know the sniper team only came in finecast, so that's just pushed me even more to kit bash a few custom models out of some plastic drones and bits I have lying around!

Great job! :biggrin:
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

IceFall
Shas

Post#11 » Nov 29 2017 11:00

Ghostly Daemon wrote:I have to say, your colour scheme (and your painting skills!) is absolutely gorgeous!

I didn't know the sniper team only came in finecast, so that's just pushed me even more to kit bash a few custom models out of some plastic drones and bits I have lying around!

Great job! :biggrin:

Thanks, appreciate it when people like what I have done. I would definitely kit bash if were I to do again. I would likely use normal drones and pair them with a WarGame Exclusive rifle and one of their other models as the marksman.

IceFall
Shas

Post#12 » Nov 29 2017 11:32

UPDATE #6

FarSight.

Live project build

FarSight was my third purchase by a few minutes.

When I bought the model I intended to paint it red, like FarSight should be painted I suppose. But in the end I decided to match him to the rest of my army. Despite this being my third purchase I left it until few weeks ago to paint. This was because it depressed me to look at the cast :sad:.

It is a shame that such an interesting character must again suffer the indignity of FailCast (See the shoulder pad, the feet, the vents on the back pack - it goes on and on). I am very close to cutting off the sword and shield (those look ok) and re-purposing a new commander suit.

Anyway: He is an Character so I added a lot of gold. I was also inspired by this to a large extent: https://www.spikeybits.com/wp-content/you... qr3711.jpg.

Front:

Like much of my army, I decided to magnetise him. He is magnetised at the waist, and the ribbon at his leg is magnetised too. Thats as far as I went as like this he can fit into storage.

Here he is disassembled, good god that shoulder... :

c-c-c-c-c-combo breaker:

This tickles me a bit: When I bought FarSight I thought I might as well give him some matching troops so I started painting some boys in red. I never finished (as you can see). Not sure what I will do with these guys now - I have more than enough of every troop type :-?.

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#13 » Nov 29 2017 12:48

UPDATE #7

Previously completed models

I have a few days of annual leave right now so I have time to post a few updates before I head on out this evening... to get one in the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1_VsyLAGuk .. should have posted that yesterday..

So, after my foray into FineCast I decided that maybe I should look around eBay for a few models. I found a SkyRay for sale. I stripped it with Dettol and got out my AirBrush. I like the look of this model and it lends itself to an AirBrush thats for sure.

When I first bought 3/4 models back in 3rd edition (my only other purchase of WarHammer ever) I had a DevilFish. I painted it with thick baby blue paint and some black panels. It looked awful. I was determined to not make the same mistake here but getting started was surprisingly hard due to the size.

About 6 minutes ago I finished the lights on top of the wings so I could post this. This is a first pass paint ahead of a few minor details being completed and decals being slapped on everywhere.

Here it is all assembled. As you can see this was one of the models which has a harsh baby blue. The heavy curves on this really work well with it. Looks much better from distance (from across a table etc).

It can be disassembled and there are magnets embedded into the feet and turrets so I can store them.

And then I decided to do one more :).

Then I decided I needed a few more of these things. So I introduce you to a little bit of an outlier in the Margin Cadre - the DevilFish.

Black?

As I was so early in the process of building and painting I was in two minds about the excessive use of Grey. I wasn't sold on the amount I had put on the SkyRays. For the DevilFish I decided to replace the Grey with Black. Its not a truly offensive weapon in the arsenal so I distinguished it.

I now like both the grey and black I have used across my tanks - so I'm keeping both styles.

Here it is.

And then I decided to do one more :).

Now, I was absent a HammerHead - so I painted one of those too. SkyRays and HammerHeads in my army are hot swappable so I could have three of either at any one time - magnets abound.

Here is a comparison shot (Grey vs Black):

Should probably paint my LongStrike model soon...
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:35, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#14 » Nov 30 2017 09:15

UPDATE #8

Live project build

Likely the first of a couple of updates today as doing these is making me progress quite a lot.

ShadowSun

This morning I painted ShadowSun and took a few photos while doing so. I'm on a mission to get through all my FailCast models soon and pull of the plaster in one smooth movement. This model is perhaps worse than FarSight. I bought this off eBay because I knew the quality of FineCast by now. I wasn't going to pay full price for it EVER again. This meant it was already assembled.

1. Started in two minds over whether to make the dominant colour white or blue. Easier to go darker later to started with a light Wolf Grey over a Black overcoat. Few pictures could highlight all that is wrong with FineCast better than this next one:

The helmet is rough, the Fusion Blasters are covered in mold lines and aren't even square. Whatever is near her crotch is wobbly as anything, the caps over her arms are all over the place. I could write paragraphs on the failures here. This is after a clean-up - quickly became diminishing returns on that front.

2. Gold is going to be everywhere so thought I may as well paint in some gold details. That helmet is as smooth as a 5 o'clock shadow.

3. Started thinking about some blue details. Helmet seemed a good start. Wasn't sold just yet.

4. The Fusion Blasters were definitely going to be like the others in my army (blue) so I painted them.

5. So - Blue helmet wasn't a winner. Re-painted wolf grey, added in some Nuln Oil and decals and turned all the lights off to try and get a semi-decent shot of the final model:

Bleugh.

-------- edit --------

Rather than making a whole new update for them:

ShadowSun wouldn't be much (at least when I bought her) without her Stealth Suit friends. I bought four boxes... and kept the colour scheme more muted.

Here she is holding court:

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:35, edited 3 times in total.

Ghostly Daemon
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Nov 30 2017 09:35

I think I prefer the Black over the Grey on the Hammerhead, Fish and SkyRay models, but that's just me - they both look amazing and your attention to detail is awesome!

That Shadowsun model... Wow. It makes me very glad I never bothered to buy the official model and went with Wargames Exclusive instead. Regardless though, great job in making it come together despite the obvious problems with the model!
:fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :evil:

IceFall
Shas

Post#16 » Nov 30 2017 09:47

Ghostly Daemon wrote:I think I prefer the Black over the Grey on the Hammerhead, Fish and SkyRay models, but that's just me - they both look amazing and your attention to detail is awesome!

That Shadowsun model... Wow. It makes me very glad I never bothered to buy the official model and went with Wargames Exclusive instead. Regardless though, great job in making it come together despite the obvious problems with the model!

Thanks! I know what you mean about the black - I wish it worked better over the rest of the models (e.g. Battlesuits) but it just makes them too dark.

On the WarGames Exclusive Model: like you I have popped over to that great website. This is mine before clean-up! So much better and I can't wait to paint this and have a smooth ShadowSun (more WarGame Exclusive models will arrive in mere days).

Last edited by IceFall on Nov 30 2017 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#17 » Nov 30 2017 09:56

UPDATE #9

Might get a few updates in today. Still sticking to order of purchase. I introduce you to some of my favourite models - The Remora Stealth Drones.

I picked these up on eBay again because I saw them relatively cheap. As you might imagine - at the point of purchase my army composition was a bit weird (I lacked anything small bar ShadowSun). The cast is not as good as the KX-139 (that was pretty much perfect end-to-end) but its good enough.

As the thing is little more than a large drone it lends it self to harsh highlighting on the body and leading edge wings. I like this model:

And then I bought some more:

And here lie all of my flyers... clearly not enough :)

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:36, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#18 » Dec 01 2017 08:32

UPDATE #10

Possibly my favourite model was my next purchase - for me it followed logically from ShadowSun and the StealthSuits.

The GhostKeel.

So well modelled, complex with the internal pilot and at the time - good. I liked the curves, wasn't as harsh as the RipTide. The thing is great.

I modelled it so it can open up

From the side:

As with everything else - very much magnetised:

So I bought another one:

And then I bought another one, modelled 'TitanFall style'.

And here they all are together:

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:36, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Project Logs”