[IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
IceFall
Shas

Re: [IceFall's 13,000+ points] The 'Margin' Cadre

Post#19 » Dec 01 2017 12:40

UPDATE #11

Previously completed models (except basing)

Who says Tau can't be a horde army....

I started buying troops en masse. This is very much a first pass job - still need to base and finish detailing the arms (gloves etc). This was a very tedious exercise but gave me something do while listening to conference calls.

From about 1:10 this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Gyl_Gf0Xo covers how I felt at the time.

50 Fire Warriors:

30 Breachers:

30 Pathfinders joined the party (10 heavy weapons):

Just about fit onto my cutting pad.

Oh wait - I could have sworn I bought a 'few' Kroot.... Next update.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:37, edited 2 times in total.
My Project Log and Army: viewtopic.php?t=26860

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#20 » Dec 01 2017 01:06

They look great. I assume these were all completed some time ago. How long did they all take?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

IceFall
Shas

Post#21 » Dec 01 2017 01:59

n1md4 wrote:They look great. I assume these were all completed some time ago. How long did they all take?

Thanks very much, appreciate that.

----

So these were done a few months ago - they didn't take as long as one might assume - I think about 6 longish sessions over 3 weeks because I could only devote a few late evenings, some WFH conference calls and half a weekend day. Absent distractions it takes me about 2 1/2hrs per 10 (be it FireWarrior, Breacher or Pathfinder - out evens out) fag packet maths but I think broadly correct. Ive missed some of the steps on some so before I make my gallery I will fix.

For the detail there are about 16 steps after cutting from sprue - I always batch and do the same step across all at once. If I do it in the right order I can take full advantage of paint drying times and can favour speed over accuracy (when I know the next step will cover the screw up):

Detail:

Spoiler!
Measured in MPTT (Minutes Per Ten Tau):

1. Glue Body, Legs, Backpack and Base together: 3:00 MPTT
2. Undercoat Body, Legs, Backpack black: 3:00 MPTT
3. Undercoat Shoulder Pads and Gun: 3:00 MPTT
4. Spray Body, Legs, Backpack Blue (Gradients): 4:00 MPTT
5. Spray Shoulder Pads and Gun Blue (Gradients): 4:00 MPTT
6. Re-paint in Black for the Legs, and Arm material: 8:00-10:00 MPTT
7. Undercoat Head: 4:00 MPTT
8. Spray Head Blue (Gradients): 4:00 MPTT
9. Paint in Gold (Chest Plate, Gun, Shoulder Pad, Eye Lens, Belt): 10:00-12:00 MPTT
10: Apply Decals: 8:00-10:00 MPTT
11. Paint Boots Brown (Three Browns): 8:00-10:00 MPTT
12. Add in details to BackPack: 8:00-10:00 MPTT
13. Nuln Oil: 5:00-6:00 MPTT
14. Small Silver Highlights: 3:00 MPTT
15. Red Eye Lens: 5:00-6:00 MPTT (will often need to touch up)
16. Glue something on to the Base: 5:00-6:00 MPTT
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 03 2017 10:03, edited 1 time in total.

Mal'Caor
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Dec 02 2017 04:27

They make for a really striking force, especially all lined up together like that!

IceFall
Shas

Post#23 » Dec 02 2017 07:32

Mal'Caor wrote:They make for a really striking force, especially all lined up together like that!

Thanks very much, I'm glad that people don't mind that I'm straying away from the standard Tau colours

IceFall
Shas

Post#24 » Dec 02 2017 07:51

UPDATE #12

Live project build

Intermediary update:

Today I have been finishing my Kroot - early am they were very very far from being complete (to first pass standard) and I have a fair few :). During this process, and after looking back at my photos from update #11 I made a decision re basing for my small units and wanted to share my history here. (Mini SPOILER re KROOT)

Basing from a beginner perspective:

I didn't know anything about basing starting out - I knew only two things 1) My guys were blue and come from ice world - so snow or ice crystals should be included 2) I wasn't going to shell out for 250 resin bases for my entire army. So here was my progression:

1. Ice Crystals: Found these on GreenStuff world. Super expensive but awesome. So I included them for my troops. (added for illustration to that Kroot).

2. Cork and Grass Tufts: I realised that bases were looking pretty sparse so did a bit of googling and and found out you can use cork - so I sprayed back, dry brushed and split up, glueing randomly. Found Grass on line too so added in some of that.

3. Texture Paint: So, random cork, grass tufts and ice made no sense. It looks so haphazard and random - not what I intended. I added in a 'texture paint'. I wasn't convinced about the look to be honest. Also, the texture paint is easy to make errors with - slopping on to hooves etc.

4. Decision made re FireWarriors, PathFinders, Breachers etc:

I am going to cover all in grass - the ice pokes through, the cork rocks are hidden away but visible in parts - not a great model to demonstrate but trust me you can from a different angle. I lose the time I spent making hooves three different browns but I like the look. I may add some PVA glue and snow in parts but other wise I am happy. Its also a low grass.

5. Decision made re Kroot:

Long grass with no cork. these chaps are forest dwellers.... forests with ice... :?. I'm pretty sure I am going to get Ork/Human etc skulls from WarGame exclusive and add to the bases but super happy with the Kroot.

Maybe this update helps others think about how they might base models - don't base yourself into a corner like me!

--- edit ----

Fast forward 5 minutes =

Here we go, all change.
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:37, edited 1 time in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#25 » Dec 03 2017 04:19

UPDATE #13

KROOT

Live project build

Today and yesterday I have been finishing my Kroot - 48 Kroot, 4 Kroot Hounds, 1 Krootox, 1 Shaper. Hello Horde.

I don't have quite enough grass to finish all of the basing but more won't arrive until later in the week and I want to do at least one update this weekend.

This will be picture heavy. :biggrin:

1. This was where they were Saturday early AM: body and legs undercoated, hair sprayed blue. Some had red hair as I thought I might have some 'Farsight Kroot' as per my previous update re Farsight - no longer required.

2. First thing I had to do was sort out the arms. I had purchased a set from eBay to go along with my new box of them so I wasn't sure I would have enough. Thankfully, a while back I had checked all was ok:

3. Time to spray some block colours in:

4. Cut to what at the time I though would be the final paint job on the guns. In the end I decided there was too much silver and as such the muzzle turned to dark grey later on:

5. Time to paint the bodies: Bone White and Charred Brown. This was a bit harder as I didn't have 'Air' paints to use here, settling for standard paints instead. I had to thin each and getting the right consistency each time wasn't easy. I actually found painting with a large amount of paint (so it naturally formed to the belly) worked well. You can see here some of the eBay purchases - glued together. This made life harder and I had to paint the guns individually.

6. Time to sort my Kroot into the different poses for batching re body quills and toes. Thankfully I ended up with a good mix. I also started putting shoulder pads on so I had some more blue on the model to match my army theme. I didn't have enough so hello GreenStuff. That took a while.I made some proxy pads from the square metal plates to save time (cut off the grenades). They slip in among the others well enough. Shame I only had five. repainting the bases black was tedious.

7. As per my intermediary update #12 time to start the basing. This was quite fast although some quick calculations meant that I was straight on the eBay to order some more sets.

8. Thats as much basing as I can do:

---- snip ----

9. FINISHED - I really like these guys and think with the shoulder pads and hair fit in very well with my army whilst still remaining Kroot:

Colours:

Spoiler!
UnderCoat: Vallejo Black Primer
Base Coat: Vallejo US Light Green
Base Coat Shading: Citadel Athonian CamoShade
Light Blue (shoulder, hair): Vallejo Electric Blue
Dark Blue (shoulder, hair): Vallejo French Blue
Dark Grey (muzzle): Vallejo Gray Violet
Silver (gun): Vallejo Steel (Metallic)
Brown (leather, gun stock): Vallejo Charred Brown
Bone (body): BoneWhite
Gold (gun): 50:50 Citadel Retributor Armour & Vallejo Gold (Metallic)
Red (eyes and tongue): Mephiston Red
Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 08:38, edited 3 times in total.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Dec 03 2017 05:00

Your rate of work is astronomical! Nice one :)
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

IceFall
Shas

Post#27 » Dec 07 2017 06:41

n1md4 wrote:Your rate of work is astronomical! Nice one :)

Thanks - this website and the positive comments are prompting this. I'm glad I started a project log!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Dec 07 2017 07:42

IceFall wrote:

Thanks - this website and the positive comments are prompting this. I'm glad I started a project log!

Let me just ask- are you recapping work that you did over a span of months and months, or are you actually pumping this stuff out now? The speed and quality are absolutely amazing.

IceFall
Shas

Post#29 » Dec 07 2017 07:59

Arka0415 wrote:
IceFall wrote:

Let me just ask- are you recapping work that you did over a span of months and months, or are you actually pumping this stuff out now? The speed and quality are absolutely amazing.

Thanks - and a very fair question - it may well be that I have not have been clear enough.

So, if it includes any kind of progress photos it is live (the Kroot were quite an exercise). I'm trying to strike a balance between including what I am projecting over the course of this thread e.g. Stormsurge Gun, SunShark, Kroot, Basing, Storage, KX139 Guns) and those things I have already done (Vehicles, Remoras, Troops). I want to progress the entire army in order of purchase to demonstrate progress in painting style and/or to highlight why I am making decisions.

That being said I will try to be clearer what is already done and what I am doing... here is the first step in my next update so you can see it is live!

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 07 2017 09:16, edited 3 times in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#30 » Dec 07 2017 08:13

Update #14

Live project build

This is most likely the most tedious exercise I have engaged on to date but I want to do it live to force a conclusion: Weapons and jump packs.

I have given my XV8s and Commanders a sloppy first pass but absent weapons and jump packs they are not complete and so this is what I am doing next.

Although I don't actually play games I'm loathed to let any option for my models pass. As such I am painting every weapon and jump pack I have in my possession. They have all been magnetised over the course of the previous week.

This is my to-do list of weapons - which I will be approaching before jump packs:

As you can see - my burst cannons are done. These were done in the past week because I already had them on my KX139 (I had the paint scheme nailed).

Can anyone tell how many XV8's / Commanders I have by the volume of weapons...

As a side note: if anyone is curious what kind of Dettol one requires it is this kind. I thought this was a good time to take the photo as it demonstrates what it is otherwise used for (thats climbing chalk by the way not anything illicit)! :

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#31 » Dec 09 2017 07:36

You have 24 Burst Cannons. Each set of crisis suits comes with three and each commander with one, and from your to do list I see you have six CIB and six Coldstar Burst Cannons? so I estimate eight sets of crisis suits (24 Crisis) and six Commanders?

Anyway, nice work. That is an absolute ton of things to paint and I wish you luck!

Sniper

IceFall
Shas

Post#32 » Dec 10 2017 04:05

UPDATE #14.1

Live project build

Been a bit lax on the updates but haven't been around much in the past couple of days.

So, covered here is by far the most tedious of the paint jobs I have done to date :(. Fusion Blasters are done. There 41 to do, and when I started I didn't have a paint scheme settled on. As they could sit on Commanders, XV8s, Riptides and GhostKeels the scheme had to fit all. Deciding that scheme and experimenting took almost as long as the painting.

So step by step here we go:

1. First step was magnetising them all - they have magnets going through the entire body and one at the bottom. This allows any Fusion Blaster to be placed in any front facing orientation on any model. All the polarisation is the same across my model estate. 123 magnets inserted and glued. Then it was a black undercoat and a basic blue gradient applied with the AirBrush.

2. Time to spray the muzzle - I experimented with Gold, Silver, Grey, Dark Grey and Black and it took almost as much time thinking about which to use as the spray itself.

3. I settled for Black and painted in a lot more black too. Black was painted in 3 batches covering each of the three areas:

4. On the same day I sat down to do these my grass arrived - quickly decided to finish basing the Kroot:

5. Lacking sufficient gold I painted the barrel thing gold and put a green cap on it. Since I can't yet paint a lens I used 'ArdCoat' to get a quick shiny gloss finish.

6. Done:

Last edited by IceFall on Dec 10 2017 06:49, edited 2 times in total.

IceFall
Shas

Post#33 » Dec 10 2017 04:06

SniperTau wrote:You have 24 Burst Cannons. Each set of crisis suits comes with three and each commander with one, and from your to do list I see you have six CIB and six Coldstar Burst Cannons? so I estimate eight sets of crisis suits (24 Crisis) and six Commanders?

Anyway, nice work. That is an absolute ton of things to paint and I wish you luck!

Sniper

Close! I have six commanders and 18 XV8s - must have picked up some extra Burst Cannons somewhere!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#34 » Dec 11 2017 09:17

IceFall wrote:
SniperTau wrote:You have 24 Burst Cannons. Each set of crisis suits comes with three and each commander with one, and from your to do list I see you have six CIB and six Coldstar Burst Cannons? so I estimate eight sets of crisis suits (24 Crisis) and six Commanders?

Sniper

Close! I have six commanders and 18 XV8s - must have picked up some extra Burst Cannons somewhere!

Probably off the keels and stormsurges since they come with those as well.

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#35 » Dec 11 2017 09:39

Holy moly! I haven't checked this forum section since you started and you already painted way more than I did in the last couple of years :eek:

Love your colour scheme, that blue is really eye-catching!

Keep it up and post some more :P

Return to “Project Logs”