The Gue'Vesa Freikorps of Paradyso

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
joc-wi
Shas

The Gue'Vesa Freikorps of Paradyso

Post#1 » Dec 07 2017 04:50

You have seen bit's of this project here and there. Now here is the project:

The Freikorps of Paradyso

I started with two units you already know, and a bit of back-story. I took better pictures of the piranha. I will continue this thread with "new" material - and I hope you enjoy :)

Backstory of this Army:
Paradyso got it's name for a reason. Of course - it was never a magical, heaven-like place. But it was one of those worlds where plants grew free - even centuries after Imperial colonialisation. A place where industrialisation and ecosystem had managed to coexist.
Paradyso was also a world on the very fringe of the Imperium of Man. Obviously, alien influence existed. Expecially the rather liberal aristocrats loved owning a technological trinket of the tau or two. So several generations of the govenour's family had turned a blind eye on these dealings.

Things changed drastically when an inquisitor with a ship full of SpaceMarines arrived from a forreign, spaceborn battlefield.
He discovered the Tau merchants all to easily and turned on all parts of the society he deemed to be corrupted. A war spawned up, and since his troups were thin, the inquisitor used all the means he had available.

When finally tau troops arrived to help the human inhabitants, he had already unleashed atomic and chemical weaponery uppon the planet. It became an easy win for the Tau, at terrible costs.
At the end of the war, the air was filled with poison. Smoke hang in the atmosphere, blocking most light. Cities lay in ruins. The Population was dying.

Let me start this project-log with a unit you might already know:

My Gue'Vesa Piranha:

Backstory of this Unit:
The Gue'Vesa of Paradyso view the Tau as their saviours. They take up the tau technology as a way of salvation. And due to their loyality, the earth-cast actually helped the humans to create primitive recreations of Tau technology. The hover-technology of this "Piranja" is one of the many examples.

Conversion-Tips of this Unit:
This one was build using a japanese model of a "Last-Exile" Vanship and some Death-Korps of Krieg Soldiers. The Vanship-kit is rather nice to work with, main problem was the difference in scale: the Vanship is about 1:72 while the Death-Korps-Soldiers are the usual Warhammer-Scale, which might be about 1:50. While the outer measurements of the Vanship are perfect to mimic a piranha, you will need to reduce the shoulder-width of the soldiers with a knife. The arms will not fit, so I used some greenstuff to mimic arms.
The front part of the vanship-model already ends in a round tip that is _perfect_ for the burst-cannon. I would have chosen a fusion-blaster or magnetisation otherwise... but it just fit to well.
There is no easy way to really integrate the Drones into the model (if you manage to do that well, you have my adoration). So I simply drilled a hole in both drones and the lower side of the wings, put some neodyn-magnets into the wholes and fixed them with greenstuff. The drones now simply hand down but are detachable:
I did not use one of GW's fligher-bases, nor did I use the one provided in the Vanship-model (if you want to use that one, you will have _not_ to glue on one of the parts on the base of the model!). Like I often do, I used an inverted plastic-cup one can buy in supermarkets for about a Euro per 30 pieces. Those are cheap, but unlike GW's flight-bases, they do not break.

Painting of this Unit:
I am lazy when it gets to painting. I spraypainted the body, brushed over with a lighter color. The metal parts are just black with some drybrushed copper-color of GW. I plan on painting the coat-of-arms of this army on this unit sooner or later - but I have not done so yet.

More about this Unit
I showed the piranha once before, with other (but worse) pictures and less explanation. You can see the pictures here

I thought I should repost the following picture, to have everything in one place. These are the

Gue'Vesa Scouts of the Freikorps of Paradysio:

I already spoke about them here.

A note on sexism: I hope that I do not offend anyone by having a half-naked woman in the army. By now, there are also two half-naked men among the Freikorps of Paradyso - I hope that makes it fair. I will show those two guys soon.
But I would love add some more *clothed* women to the regular ranks of the Freikorps. If someone knows nice female miniatures (with gas-masks!) that might blend in with Death-Korps of Krieg minis... I would appreciate the tip.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: The Gue'Vesa Freikorps of Paradyso

Post#2 » Dec 07 2017 07:45

joc-wi wrote:But I would love add some more *clothed* women to the regular ranks of the Freikorps. If someone knows nice female miniatures (with gas-masks!) that might blend in with Death-Korps of Krieg minis... I would appreciate the tip.

Have you considered Victoria Miniatures? Created by Golden Daemon winner and former Warhammer hobby rock-star Victoria Lamb, Victoria Miniatures produces a wide range of female conversion bits compatible with Imperial Guard models. While I couldn't see any female heads wearing gas masks on a cursory inspection, you might be able to combine some of the body components with gas mask heads from elsewhere.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

joc-wi
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 08 2017 03:29

...so I'm just waiting for glue to dry and starting to get bored - so let's do the next one!

Gue'Vesa Ogryn-count-as-Krootox!

Backstory for this Unit
If there is one thing meta-humans fear, it is an Inquisitor. No wonder the Ogryns and Ratlings among Paradyso's population were the first to join the resitance against the Inquisitor's Space Marines. Though this one fought in the war, he is a civilian now - only wearing the gun when militia is called for help.
Like most people in Paradyso, he was horribly affected by chemical bombardment and radiation. Furthermore, his gas-mask is not up to military standards. But what can one do? Making a living is hard, and even harder for an invalid Ogryn.

Conversion-Tips for this unit:
This is a forge-world Renegade Ogryn. I really love those models, and I did have to have one. There was not much done in terms of modifying: carve of chaos-symbols, or fill them green-stuff. put a magnet in the back and magnetize a gun that is comparable to the weapon of a Krootox. See, magnetized ;) :

I must warn you, though: this model is fragile. After these photos were taken, the model fell from the table into a (deep and soft) carpet. The pole of the hand-weapon snapped right through. I have now re-attached it with some Greenstuff :?

Painting of this Unit
Well, I do not like how it turned out. There was not much space to paint the primary color (gray-blue) and secondary color (bright orange) on. I am not sure my improvisation will impress anybody.

Rules:
Well, the Krootox is a rather un-armored, rather strong and tough unit. So the model fits quite well. The only unsolvable problem is that Krootox are "Cavalry". But I have not yet seen a single special rule for the Cavalry-keyword, so I guess that's ok.

More about this Unit:
Much earlier, I asked about vailability and got two nice answers here.
Shortly after, there was a more in-depth discussion about Krootox-tatics here.

Kakapo42 wrote:Have you considered Victoria Miniatures? [...] While I couldn't see any female heads wearing gas masks on a cursory inspection, you might be able to combine some of the body components with gas mask heads from elsewhere.

Thanks for the tip, Kakapo42! I will look into these!
[Edit: Kakapo, I just browsed through their offers, and not only do they have nice trenchcoat-bodies, they also have really good gasmask-heads that can easily be converted! Thanks for the tip! ]

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 08 2017 06:06

all very cool indeed... :eek: :smile:
particularly like the piranha

putting together some infantry and a couple of tanks/AFV for my own gue'vesa using Pigiron Productions vehicles and their heavy infantry:

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/hea ... y-c-5.html
http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/vehicles-c-8.html

joc-wi
Shas

Post#5 » Dec 09 2017 07:15

Battle-r... ...note: "The Pizza-Box-Battle"

Just had my first battle with this "Army". It was my second battle in 8th edition. (I stopped playing in 5th, i think?)

I took three small armies of mine to a gathering of tabletop-gamers. And after playing a round of Battlestar Galactica (nice!), I found a player who was happy to fight me with one of my armies. (It was good that I brought mine along, since he did not bring any minis of his own).

So I fought my count-as-eldar army. Though my point-level was 3/4 of his, I only barely lost. I had problems hurting his fireprism and his (count-as-)avatar-of-cain. My opponent rarely used the avatar though.

The battlefield looked rather improvised since we used empty pizza-boxes as terrain:

(Sorry for the bad picture-quality. In the background you can already glimps a unit i will write about within the next few days :) )

Most important thing learned: Making a model with 1 wound my warlord is a stupid Idea. He sniped it off with Eldar-Rangers in round 1. And got a victory-point for it.
(You remember? I planed to choose the stylish female scout as my warlord :sad: )

Another nice thing was to see and hear grown men raving about my miniatures. The three count-as-eldar jetbikes got most of the attention, but it was nice to see that most units left a impression on seasond gamers. I guess I unconsciously started to define my standards by what I see on the internet... which is, I guess, not a good way to be happy with one's work.

SniperTau
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Dec 09 2017 07:44

I am loving the Ogryn. Those renegade models are (IMO) the best forge world sculpts ever. I for one am not disappointed with the paint scheme on it, it looks fabulous and fits well with the rest of your units.

Tau'va

joc-wi
Shas

Post#7 » Dec 14 2017 04:28

Short one today:

Preacher of the new Order (count-as Etheral)

Backstory of this Unit:

Most of the surviving inhabitants of Paradyso see the Tau as saviours. But there is always that half percent of people who... goes over the top with that. Whenever those persons prove to be charismatic, well-spoken or a tiny little bit psionic, the tau see no reason not to use their talents.
So there are always some preachers on the battlefield. They remind the troops why they fight and may, one day, help recruit new troops on other worlds.

Rules:
I use that one as a Count-As Etheral on Hoverdrone. With equalizers. Simple as that.

Conversion-Tips:
That one was simple. It is a Forgeworld-psychic, a drone and two small tau antenna. I carved off the chaos-symbols, glued everything together and was done.

I love the result. Looks even better in real then it looks on the photos.

I might paint a Tau-Symbol on the little medalion that is hanging down his waist.
I thought the head at his waist was perhaps not really "Tau-Like". But it might be the head of an (formerly) infamous burrocrat that supported the imperial side. So: Looks cool and adds a detail to the background-story, so it could stay :-)

Edit: PS:
I am going to go to a few friendly games on Saturday... well, if the migraine does not put me down that day :-|

Return to “Project Logs”