PeeJs sept rebuild project

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

PeeJs sept rebuild project

Post#1 » Dec 12 2017 04:57

Hi all,

Made a post about having some pretty serious hobby anxiety and part of the advice was to post my work.

Thought I,d start with something a bit interesting, so here's my take on a Remora Stealth Fighter Drone.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EEogZ

Props to MMX for his tutorial here, it forms the basis for the work I've done.

Feedback appreciated!

I'll post again soon (hopefully) to give people an idea of the scale of the project I'm working on.

Cheers!

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: PeeJs sept rebuild project

Post#2 » Dec 13 2017 07:14

Really nice work! I've always been curious, what's the learning curve with greenstuff like? I've considered using it a few times, but I have always stopped myself last minute in case I end up ruining a model.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

W:6 L:4 D:2

Membership Guidelines

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Dec 13 2017 04:47

Cheers buddy.

I'll be perfectly honest, I'm not great with green stuff and can't full on sculpt. Filling gaps and creating flat surfaces is doable with a few little tricks and bits of knowledge though.

Keeping your fingers wet stops it from sticking to you.

Let it set for a couple of hours and you get a workable, slightly less sticky, more solid and sculptable consistency. (You need to find a point you're comfortable with through trial and error with this really)

Shave surfaces with a knife where possible, it wrecks files.

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Dec 14 2017 07:16

clever use of bits ;)

The areas of greenstuff can probably be sanded down with sandpaper but you'll need to be careful not to sand the plastic areas. The only areas that really need much attention are the upper surfaces, but maybe with a bit of additional surface sculpting and suitable chipped/dented paintjob you can make it look like battle damage?

An interesting addition to your army.

Have you ever tried Milliput? It's similar to greenstuff and comes in light green, grey, and white. It has to be mixed together in the same way as greenstuff. It is designed to set underwater and you can add small amounts of water to it like you've been doing with greenstuff. It dries rock solid so long as you've mixed it thoroughly and is workable for about 2hrs.

I've not used greenstuff much. Probably because I came across Milliput first. Greenstuff is definitely better for working on single 28mm figures or where you don't want much "stuff".

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 14 2017 07:43

I have used milliput in the past yeah, In all honesty I just prefer greenstuff, it has a less 'clay'like feel to it, if that makes sense.

Sandpaper is a good call for the tidyup of the greenstuff, especially on the dome, might need to give that a try. Think i'm going to hold off on creating a second until I've seen how this one looks painted.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 07 2018 07:12

So It begins...

This weekend I gave this stuff a bath in bio-ethanol;

It came out pretty well;

Then I got on with priming some of it, along with some of the things I've been building the past couple of months;

I need to create some more cork bases before I can prime any more, hoping to have it all primed by the end of the week though.

I know it's not much, but it's a start, hopefully I can stick at it!

Full gallery with more pics and close ups here;

https://imgur.com/a/faYwJ

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jan 07 2018 08:37

Cool, nice fresh start, but for the record that previous paint job looked alright too.

What colour scheme will you use for these?
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 08 2018 04:57

Cheers, sadly the colour scheme I used would have been a mess on to replicate, it used OOP base paints and the main armour colour is a mix of 2 old GW paints. It was a silly idea to start with, but I've learned a lesson from it about future planning with a mind to expanding and replicating the scheme.

I'm also pretty sure i'm a better painter now, so there's that too.

As for what colour i'm re-painting, I wanted to do Sa'cea, but A LOT of people seem to be doing them, and i'm concerned that they will get stuck with an awful/boring 'trait' come the codex (+1 to shooting at units in cover for example).

The other I've been considering is Ke'lshan, but, I already paint Imperial Fists (not REALLY wanting to do MORE yellow) and IIRC they are a ForgeWorld sept, so may get no trait t all in the codex.

I know traits aren't super important and there are options if you'd prefer to use a different one, or your army doesn't have one. But for once I'd like to just have a straight up army that is exactly as represented in the book.

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jan 08 2018 06:17

PeeJ wrote:Cheers, sadly the colour scheme I used would have been a mess on to replicate, it used OOP base paints and the main armour colour is a mix of 2 old GW paints. It was a silly idea to start with, but I've learned a lesson from it about future planning with a mind to expanding and replicating the scheme.

I'm also pretty sure i'm a better painter now, so there's that too.

As for what colour i'm re-painting, I wanted to do Sa'cea, but A LOT of people seem to be doing them, and i'm concerned that they will get stuck with an awful/boring 'trait' come the codex (+1 to shooting at units in cover for example).

The other I've been considering is Ke'lshan, but, I already paint Imperial Fists (not REALLY wanting to do MORE yellow) and IIRC they are a ForgeWorld sept, so may get no trait t all in the codex.

I know traits aren't super important and there are options if you'd prefer to use a different one, or your army doesn't have one. But for once I'd like to just have a straight up army that is exactly as represented in the book.

If you are unsure about the sept coloring, then just forgo taht and jsut do the camo paint you want to do.. desert, urban, snow, jungle or something like that.. Afterwards you can still add the sept colors

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jan 13 2018 07:38

So, here's everything in my army that's primed (just finished spraying);

The eagle eyed among you probably have a clue about some of what's still to do from the misc drones on the cutting pad.

That's 6 Crisis suits (3 classic, 3 new), 1 Ghostkeel, 1 riptide, 1 Yvahra and 6 XV25 stealth suits. There's also my kitbashed remoras and some XV15s (which I want to recast with clear resin).

But first of all, I need to finish my 9 other vespid proxies to go with this guy;

Think I'll be doing some test paints on some drones this week to nail down a scheme and recipie.

Full gallery is here;

https://imgur.com/a/jfl3d

GARBLED_COMMS
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 13 2018 08:12

Who's that beefy lil' dude next to your Enforcer commander? He looks neat.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#12 » Jan 13 2018 09:17

Shas'O'Kais (From Dawn of War) conversion, made from an old style XV8 and some XV25 bits. There's a pretty easy to follow PDF that you can follow, just google the name and "conversion", I think it's hosted at Eastern Empire.

AenarIT
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#13 » Jan 14 2018 07:07

Amazing start!
I also have 10 Vespids (count-as) identical to yours in my backlog :P

I'm curious to see more!

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#14 » Jan 18 2018 12:15

Finished up my Vespid proxies;

Full gallery here; https://imgur.com/a/5zlAC

Comments welcome!

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jan 23 2018 05:01

Very quick and dirty model for a colour test, no lenses or weathering done yet, and I'm undecided on a colour for the little tau 'gyroscope' screwhead patterns on the guns;

Full gallery here (with a flash-free set of pics);

https://imgur.com/a/jJeah

Feedback would be much appreciated, obviously the sept is meant to be sa'cea. I'm aware my sept markings are scruffy and the finish is rough, just looking for input on the colours and how they mesh/layer together. Suggestions welcome for contrast colour, 'screwhead' detail, lenses, weathering etc.

(Apologies for the duplicate post, but this is my dedicated thread and I'm looking for feedback, not sure how many people do/don't read the motivation thread)

Cheers lovers x

comm_nagrom
Shas

Post#16 » Jan 23 2018 07:08

I like the drone, crisp and clean, even if the markings aren't perfect. As for the gyro details I'm always a proponent for gold as I think it looks best on those parts

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Jan 24 2018 11:28

I go for a copper colour to complement the Sa'cea sept colours

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Feb 01 2018 07:14

First unit done in new colours. Not happy with the glow effect on the gun gyros, didn't work as well as I hoped. Guess I'll cop out and go for gold/bronze.

Full gallery here;

https://imgur.com/a/LYexh

On another note, how do people handle unit markings for drones, since they could end up in squads, accompanying suits etc?

C&C welcome and appreciated as always.

Return to “Project Logs”