Spot's Snow Sept [Project Log]

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Spottington
Shas

Spot's Snow Sept [Project Log]

Post#1 » Dec 22 2017 12:13

Hello fellow Tau commanders! I've recently gotten back into the hobby, and would like to start up a project log. My goal is to share what I've done, get feedback, and have some kind of accountability to finish my projects up!

I'll start with a simple Fire Warrior, to show my scheme. I always liked the idea of the Tau being a clean, white army, even back when they were the original tan color. I chose the pale blue as my sept color, I'm not familiar enough with the lore to tell you where they would be from. For bases, I liked the idea of a snow world, but until the other day I had never done a single base. This is my very first model that is painted and based!

Hope you like it:

Over the holiday, I'm hoping to get more done. I have a whole bunch of models that are painted but not based, and a bunch more that are in the middle of the painting process. I'll post updates as they get finished.

-Spot

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Re: Spot's Snow Sept [Project Log]

Post#2 » Dec 22 2017 04:08

The imprimation are bad or you don't get enough water in the paint. If you see isnt smooth... the white its dificult try to correct that!

For white i use 3 whites, 1 grey base, and other a litle more white, and the whitescar for the lights.

Also you should need put lights on blue...

If you see here i make the lights bad, and next i correct it:

Correcting:

The Breachers are not Finish yet, but you can see the scheme of color to get maybe any ideas or patrons.

TauGeorge
Shas

Post#3 » Dec 22 2017 04:21

Good idea with the project log.

I've also done a white armour scheme but replacing the red of V'orla with Dark Angel green. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon to show you. I did the armour using a basecoat of ulthuan grey and picked out the edges with ceremite white. I aslo picked out the edged of the green with warboss green then another i which i cant remember the name of right now.

bl4ckc00k1e is absolutley right though. Thin down the paints and add washes to to the reccess's, it realy adds depth to the model.

(apologies in advance for all typos)

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Dec 22 2017 04:39

Welcome to ATT! :D

As a Tau Sept player (the old classic scheme) I paint the Shas'ui models with white parts. The white is so annoying to paint, I spray the models white, then paint everything but the white parts! You might want to try that out, if you're going to be painting so much white.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Dec 22 2017 05:34

Yes welcome to ATT! Constructive criticism aside (I also struggle with white), you have a nice, striking scheme and the base looks great!

Looking forward to more...

Spottington
Shas

Post#6 » Dec 22 2017 01:02

Wow, that was quick, thanks everyone for the feedback!

My earlier models (including the Fire Warrior pictured) were a bit less clean. I think they've improved some, here's a sneak preview of my Riptide (still needs to be based, I'll upload a full image when it's complete):

But the tips are well received, for sure. Thinning down the white paint isn't something I've tried, but I'm sure it will help make it smoother. On my next batch of models I'll give it a shot.

Highlights aren't something that I've done on my Tau, really. I think probably I should, using white highlights on the blue patches and something a little darker on the edges of the white bits (using grey, maybe, or black with very light drybrushing). Certainly, adding drybrushed highlights worked well for me on my Daemon army. I wasn't planning on posting them up here, since this is a Tau forum, but here's a taste:

-Spot

bl4ckc00k1e
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Dec 26 2017 04:30

The Scheme are good, but you should correct the white, remember that first you must paint a grey base, next and other grey-white and only the lights with white Scar...

And for the blue you should too put lights, i found a picture on google, here you can see the white and the lights on blue (this blue is dark, but the scheme is similar:

In the next maybe you can aprecied the lights on white:

At the last you can print the miniature in white and use black ink for the details.

Anyway is ok your paint, remember that white and yellow are very dificult to paint :sad:

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Dec 31 2017 12:12

For my white (the lighter variant in the picture below) I start with either a Chaos Black or Mechanicus Standard Grey primer.. this has actually nothing to do with the white but if it's suits or infantry (with cloth). Suits get the black, cloth get the Grey.
But then I basecoat the soon to be white surfaces with Celestra Grey (As Duncan says) 2 thin layers
Shade with Nuln Oil (could do recess shades, only where you want, saves a bit of extra layers on next)
Layer it with Ulthuan Grey depending on full shade or recess shade might take 3-4 layers.. this is a paint that needs extra care if not thinned enough it starts giving a gritty look, take your time here it does not need to cover in 1 layer.
Then (for better results) highlight the edges and raised portions with Scar White.

And even I'm still strugling with the smoothness of the white (combined with my wanting to have it done in minimum of 2 layers...)

Kerrygan
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Dec 31 2017 01:34

Hey! That's an argentinian Tau Sept! Haha
As everybody says: use a little more water with the white.
Do you have the chance to use an airbrush? It really help specially with difficult colors like white.
Keep the good work!

Return to “Project Logs”