Krosp's Cadre of Starlight Ascending

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Krospgnasker
Shas

Krosp's Cadre of Starlight Ascending

Post#1 » Jan 16 2018 11:53

Commander Blazeheart's Cadre of Shas’onai Ari’oc - Starlight Ascending

Hey ATT! Figured I'd share my growing T'au army, partly to add to the amazing collection on the site, partly to motivate myself to get more painting done. As you may have guessed from my cadre (pictured above), I love mech suits. They look so unique and different from anything else in the 40k universe. The Commander kit especially is a work of art. What other kit can be posed in so many different, dynamic ways? Honestly, what a time to be alive.

Anyway, just a little bit of background about the Starlight Ascending: Hailing from Vior'los, Commander Blazeheart is a passionate supporter of Commander Farsight and an experienced practitioner of the Mont'ka. He and his cadre soar through the skies like shooting stars, only to fall like a blazing meteor into the very heart of his enemy's forces.

Below are a few close-ups of my T'au boys and girls.

Commander Shataax'ran - Blazeheart himself:

Commander Qazdan’is Ndon - Stormfront:

Shas'vre Vior'los Toxoi'gaal - Elbow Drop:

Shas'vre Vior'los Shas'kisun - Fire-Blood:

Shas'vre Vior'los Kau'savon - Keen-Eyed Hunter:

Sub-Commander Shas'sha - Firewing and XV8's:

And finally, my trusty boots on the ground:

(Not pictured: One billion drones.)

(Also not pictured: Pile of shameful, unpainted plastic 3 feet high.)

Current hobby progress, in case anyone is interested in how to organize their hobbying:
Spoiler!

I might add a few more bits and bobs to this post, but so far this is it. Please be kind!

-Commander Krosp
Last edited by Krospgnasker on Jan 19 2018 02:10, edited 5 times in total.

Ironsky
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Krosp's Cadre of Starlight Ascending

Post#2 » Jan 16 2018 01:55

Great work! Everything looks really nice and smooth. The bases are nicely done - I love the Firewarrior on the base of your Riptide!

Looking forward to more...

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jan 16 2018 03:50

Very neat and crisp paintjob. Love it that everyone is named :D Any plans to add vehicles to your army?

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#4 » Jan 17 2018 12:05

Ironsky wrote:Great work! Everything looks really nice and smooth. The bases are nicely done - I love the Firewarrior on the base of your Riptide!

Thanks Ironsky, I do spend a lot of time/energy on the bases. The water effects take forever to dry properly.

K'Pokk wrote:Very neat and crisp paintjob. Love it that everyone is named :D Any plans to add vehicles to your army?

Thank you thank you! I do have a Devilfish ready for painting, but I don't think I'll be adding any other vehicles. The whole fish theme and "soft" look don't appeal to me. They lack the aggressive dynamism of the suits.

Also, thanks to TauMan for help with translations :D

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 17 2018 02:57

Beautiful work! I've never seen Vior'la with ochre armor coloring before. What inspired you to add those?

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 17 2018 03:39

Arka0415 wrote:Beautiful work! I've never seen Vior'la with ochre armor coloring before. What inspired you to add those?

Well, the usual secondary color of Vior'la is grey, but I wanted something that made the scheme more vibrant and give it more "pop". Considered red to begin with, but since red is used to denote rank, I needed something else.

I experimented with different primary colors (most of which clashed with the red and drew focus away from the details) until I settled on orange, which complements the red without looking completely out of place. After trying out Fire Dragon Bright, Troll Slayer Orange and Jokaero Orange - which were all too harsh - I settled on the classic T'au Ochre. Little throwback to the homeworld.

Orange is also the complementary color of blue, which I hope to add more of in the form of glowing fusion blasters etc. Still struggling with OSL though.

TauGeorge
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 17 2018 04:09

Looking great my friend!

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Jan 17 2018 05:53

Krospgnasker wrote:Well, the usual secondary color of Vior'la is grey, but I wanted something that made the scheme more vibrant and give it more "pop". Considered red to begin with, but since red is used to denote rank, I needed something else.

It's funny, our color schemes are basically the same, but rotated. You have white armor, red rank marks, and ochre coloring. I use ochre armor, white rank marks, and red coloring!

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 17 2018 06:54

Arka0415 wrote:It's funny, our color schemes are basically the same, but rotated. You have white armor, red rank marks, and ochre coloring. I use ochre armor, white rank marks, and red coloring!

It's such a solid combination of colors! Pure white looks amazing on Tau models, even if it's only used sparingly. :)

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jan 17 2018 10:51

Just a suggestion, seeing as your tau are running around in wet/swampy grass it might look good if you were to add some dirt and splashmarks to their feet and lower legs?

The muck would accentuate the clean look of your colourscheme :smile:

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#11 » Jan 17 2018 02:59

K'Pokk wrote:Just a suggestion, seeing as your tau are running around in wet/swampy grass it might look good if you were to add some dirt and splashmarks to their feet and lower legs?

The muck would accentuate the clean look of your colourscheme :smile:

You're right, I might throw some Stirland Mud on them. It physically hurts me to dirty up that precious, precious white though :P

K'Pokk
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jan 17 2018 04:05

I would also recommend an old toothbrush or stiff brush and flick stuff on. Test try out on something else first!

For muck I find that 2 or 3 passes work well. Imagine the "history" of the muck. There might be old dried muck you can represent by drybrushing it on. Wait for that to dry then flick that toothbrush (sparingly). Then when that's dry go to work with a wash, and don't be afraid to smear with your finger! :P
Ask yourself how high does the dirt get and keep it clean above that (kneecap height?)
When all is dry maybe apply some gloss over the bits which you decide should still be wet.

Your white will look whiter for it.....

Good luck and have fun!!

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#13 » Jan 21 2018 07:15

Reinforcements incoming...

comm_nagrom
Shas

Post#14 » Jan 21 2018 11:54

Oh I very much like the way those colors complement eachother, I can't wait to see stealth suits done up in that scheme!

Krospgnasker
Shas

Post#15 » Jan 22 2018 01:07

comm_nagrom wrote:Oh I very much like the way those colors complement eachother, I can't wait to see stealth suits done up in that scheme!

Here's the test model done. Like everyone else in the known universe, I did the stealth effect thing. It's not perfect, but I'll probably refine it on the other suits.

Not 100% sold on the camo, any cc welcome.

Return to “Project Logs”