Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Completed)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (overall pics up 8/10/09

Post#451 » Oct 08 2009 06:32

Beautiful work Mango, beautiful.

The difference between leg units is marked alright. That extra effort has rewarded in spades.

My one curiosity is the small roundel turret on the torso section, it seems odd tucked up in the middle, my feeling is you have the torso "upside down" and that little roundel turret should be underneath, like a 'chin turret' of a Hammerhead.

Regardless, finally seeing it upright and stomping past some shas'la, it looks great indeed!

- Tael.

stillfrosty
Kroot

Post#452 » Oct 08 2009 07:26

Two Questions...

*Deleted* My bad. I haven't been on that much recently :fear:
Last edited by stillfrosty on Oct 08 2009 07:50, edited 1 time in total.

Yaln
Shas

Post#453 » Oct 08 2009 07:29

Seeing it go through each step of development just doesn't prepare you for seeing a full overall shot.
That ... is a real masterpiece!
No constructive criticism/suggestions here. Just looking forward to seeing it all casted up, posed and painted. :D But I wouldn't complain about more photos in the meantime!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#454 » Oct 08 2009 07:35

Okay folks, :(

This was a recently established ruling on ATT. Overt discussion of online commerce is not allowed.

As quoted from our Membership Primers

Is it permissible to post models to sell/buy?

We here at ATT are perfectly fine with posting models for sale/purchase - however - we will not be held responsible for any wrong-doing that occurs during the process. Furthermore, once interest is expressed, please take the discussion off-site and conduct final negotiations via email or PM. If you want a bullet-proof solution, there's always eBay.

For Ebay Auctions please refer to the Sticky at the top of the Mess Hall Forum.

Advertising & Commerce on Advanced Tau Tactica

Non-ATT-sanctioned commerce (advertising or soliciting items for purchase) is prohibited using our forum software. Members are, of course, free to contact each other outside of the forum if they wish to arrange a purchase or exchange.

ATT takes no responsibility for the outcomes of these dealings.

It is recommended that all members who do not wish to be contacted privately about purchase of their custom work, please make this clear in their Project blogs to avoid unwanted 'will you sell me one of those?' private messages.

Next member to breach this clear and 'You Should Have Read This' ruling will be banned.

My apologies Mango, carry on..
- Tael.

mangozac
Kor

Post#455 » Oct 09 2009 12:11

Shas'El Tael wrote:Beautiful work Mango, beautiful.
My one curiosity is the small roundel turret on the torso section, it seems odd tucked up in the middle, my feeling is you have the torso "upside down" and that little roundel turret should be underneath, like a 'chin turret' of a Hammerhead.

I realise that the little "sky sensor" pod seems to stick out and break up the lines a bit but that's exactly the kind of thing I was after. It probably won't be so bad once panel lines are done and it's painted.

Okay as promised here's some more pictures:

First up we have a 3/4 shot showcasing the upper sensor suite and sky sensor pod:

Next is the front on shot requested by Warhound:

And the above shot. Note that the section between the front and rear chassis is yet to be completed.

The rear end shot. I'm yet to do the final detailing on this area:

Lower front angle:

And finally the railgun vertical rotation:

Enjoy!

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#456 » Oct 09 2009 01:41

Ahh.. with the 'Lower Front Angle' the component really does fill out that area of the mid-section front. Cheers for the angled shots! Gorgeous work.

- Tael.

kirstar
Shas

Post#457 » Oct 09 2009 02:50

Have you worked out a data sheet yet ?

Warhound
Shas

Post#458 » Oct 09 2009 05:26

:eek:

:biggrin:

I love these shots man- they give a far truer flavour of what this beast is all about! Seeing all the little sensor pods, cameras etc and the sheer smooth surfaces has got the paint side of my brain going overtime! :P

The only critique I would offer is that he rotator for the guns, there is a 'flattening' on the bottom inner left curve which will need sorting before the cups get inserted at construction, and in a similar way to what you say about my missile rack, the sensor block in front of the hatch, looks odd? From above the angles look great, but from the front, they should meet the sides of the hull neater?

Love it man, lovin it!

cheers
W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

mangozac
Kor

Post#459 » Oct 09 2009 05:57

I'd best be careful or we're going to have to send a maintenance drone over to fix Warhound's brain soon also!

Warhound wrote:The only critique I would offer is that he rotator for the guns, there is a 'flattening' on the bottom inner left curve which will need sorting before the cups get inserted at construction

I have no idea what you're talking about here :-?

Warhound wrote:and in a similar way to what you say about my missile rack, the sensor block in front of the hatch, looks odd? From above the angles look great, but from the front, they should meet the sides of the hull neater?

Yeah that area still hasn't been carved to final shape yet and when I do the section between the hatch and the missile racks the whole area might get some modification.

Well guy's that's all the progress I've got for this week. I'm headed back to my parents' place for the weekend for my little brother's 21st birthday. Next week I've really got to get stuck into some uni projects but rest assured I'll try to sneak in some hobby time ;)

Warhound
Shas

Post#460 » Oct 09 2009 06:03

Ok, take the shot with the guns in the air... look at the vent area on the 'hip' unit and then look directly up... it look like there is a slight 'pointing' or flattening of the inner circle on the gun rotator?

The sensor unit, should have the sides filed off to a 3->45 degree angle down to the sides of the hull?

Hope that helps?

cheers
W

mangozac
Kor

Post#461 » Oct 09 2009 06:17

Ahhhh I got you now! There is actually some putty there correcting the curve but it's a light colour and almost invisible. Those kind of flaws are really hard to pick up on and fix until the part has been primed which I hope to do next week.

The corners of the sensor unit will have a small bevel to them but it interferes with the actual sensors to go much more.

Oh and Kirstar (and anyone else who is wondering/wants to ask about rules): I haven't even played a game of 5th edition and I really don't have much of an interest in playing 40k these days so the rules I could care less about. I'm sure somebody will come up with something good once they get their hands on one ;)

Warhound
Shas

Post#462 » Oct 09 2009 06:22

yOU Bet your a.s.s I will :P

cheers
W

mangozac
Kor

Post#463 » Oct 14 2009 03:05

Alright between doing other things today I did a little puttying around the top section. Inspired by some of the bulky curvature on the further rear sections of the Hammerhead I added the shape you can see in these pics. The problem is that I'm just not sold on it. I think it's going to have to be ground back and redone with a less square/boxy looking shape.

Any ideas?

In other news I added all of the final details to the lower leg today. I was planning to prime it and the upper leg also but it was too windy outside so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. Fingers crossed I'll post pics of that tomorrow night.

Warhound
Shas

Post#464 » Oct 14 2009 04:14

Good morning!

I can see what you have tried to do, mimicking the rear of the DF angles on the 'booty', but it is too heavy here... I think that taking the 3rd picture- see the angle that the rounded trapezium(the missle pod bit with the vent sat in the middle) comes to down to meet the rotator... if this angle was carried through, so that the sensor spread in front of the hatch has a 'collar' much in the same way as the front of the hull has. All 3 areas, front, middle and back would have similar angles and so the design flows through...?If that makes any sense? The sides of the hatch could then have a similar angle running down to meet the hull/ rotator?

cheers
W

mangozac
Kor

Post#465 » Oct 14 2009 05:15

Warhound, you're definitely right that it needs a matching kind of angle there. I quickly hacked at it with a knife and came up with this:

It could probably be hacked down a little further but it would all look a lot better once some panel lines are added (there is to be a vertical panel line down the upper sensors collar where you can see the pencil line.

Warhound
Shas

Post#466 » Oct 14 2009 05:18

That looks a lot better!

I would then bring a little triangle collar out in front of where the sensor unit is, to the length of the little pencil line on top of the hull?

Again hard to describe properly with little to no PS-fu!
:P

cheers
W

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#467 » Oct 14 2009 10:27

Another option is to build that like the HH turret

Firestorm
Shas

Post#468 » Oct 14 2009 07:58

I remember reading this topic back when you like just started. I forgot about it (somehow) and I cameback and spent the next ten minutes trying to collect my jaw. :eek:

I love how this thing is turning out. The entire thing is completely unique in look. But at the same time it fits in perfectly. It looks, and feels Tau. I had the privilege of seeing a scratch built chaos titan. It took the guy over 100 hours of work. But he had something to work off of. You have created this starting with nothing but your own imagination. (as there really isn't anything to go off of) and you have made something that not only looks good, but fits into the appearance of the army perfectly.

What I'm trying to get at is, this is simply Amazing! (And I wish I had one now) Can't wait to see this thing finished!

Return to “Project Logs”