Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Completed)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (overall pics up 8/10/09

Post#469 » Oct 14 2009 09:53

Like I mentioned in my thread, this is a fantastic project. I'm speechless! You have really made something that is a true testament to your skill and imagination. Beautiful work. :D

Militant.Jester
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#470 » Oct 14 2009 10:03

Oh wow, I think that sensor collar just sold it for me! (not meaning commercially!) It looks REALLY cool. This is an amazing project.
Ni neart go cur le cheile::Cadre Log Activating...

mangozac
Kor

Post#471 » Oct 14 2009 10:30

Militant.Jester wrote:(not meaning commercially!)

Oooh that was close. I heard the faint click of a markerlight switch in the distance ;)

Indeed, collars have turned out to be an important part of the design aesthetic.

Thanks for the kind words, Firestorm. And patience, it will be finished and cast soon enough!

Hopefully this project will be just the beginning of a great many...

Wolfs16
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#472 » Oct 14 2009 10:38

mangozac wrote:Hopefully this project will be just the beginning of a great many...

*Checks the date of the first post......checks the date of the current post.*

Well if there are many more projects, it looks like we'll be here for a few more years! :D I seriously love all the little things that you've done to this vehicle. I think I'm going to try and implement of the these designs into a few vehicles conversions I'm planning.

mangozac
Kor

Post#473 » Oct 15 2009 01:01

Wolfs16 wrote:*Checks the date of the first post......checks the date of the current post.*

Smart@$$ :p

This has only taken so long because of its size. The next projects I have planned won't be quite so big.

Sting52jb
Shas

Post#474 » Oct 15 2009 06:36

are we going to see some type of fighter craft, possibly. I love the Barracuda and Tigershark but the Tau need an intermediate Fighter/Attack craft like the Thunderbolt, as i see the Barracuda similar to the lighting and the Tigershark similar to the Marauder. But I may be wrong.

mangozac
Kor

Post#475 » Oct 15 2009 06:57

Sorry but I have a penchant for mecha so it's going to be more legged mechanical stuff ;)

mangozac
Kor

Post#476 » Oct 16 2009 03:18

Warhound was going to be upset with me if I didn't post a new shot ;)

You can see my solution for the sides of the main hatch and upper sensor suite area. Actually, it's hard to get a real feel for the lines from the photo, mainly because of the mish-mash of different coloured materials causing a lot of visual distraction. But trust me, the result looks perfect. It'll all look much better once it's all primed in grey.

If all goes to plan I'll tomorrow finish all of the puttying between the front and rear chassis parts and the area between the main hatch and the missile rack.

Warhound
Shas

Post#477 » Oct 16 2009 03:25

Now THAT's better! :P

I don't think we have ever seen a shot of the actual hatch cover though? I am curious to see the finish that this will give?

The lines and angles do indeed look awesome- nice solid detailing- it looks robust, which is what I would imagine from a FW (cough hoof footed xeno creature tech design cough) earth caste;-)

Can't wait to see shots over the weekend!

cheers
W
www.resinaddict.com .... go on, you know you need to!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#478 » Oct 16 2009 10:14

That turned out excellently, I keep getting more and more excited about this project

Shas'vre Shavaun
Shas

Post#479 » Oct 16 2009 04:10

Some words that come into my mind as I saw your walker:

Absolute fantastic
Wow
Extraordinary
Spectacular
Oh my god
Marvelous
Excellent work

I cannot add much. The amount of details is just incredible and I promise you that I will read the whole thread … at least the most important steps … okay I will just look at every picture :roll:

GW or ForgeWorld should give you a job! It really looks very professional!

I am really looking forward to this monster … cannot wait to see it finished and painted. This thing really could scare some players to death! Great job and well done!

-Shavaun
Es ist soweit: Zwerge werfen weite Schatten

mangozac
Kor

Post#480 » Oct 16 2009 06:25

Shavaun, that is some beautifully written prose. Move over Shakespeare! ;)

It's been going for so long I can't wait to see it finished either. But there's been a slight setback today thanks to Warhound. We were chatting this morning about the top sensor suite and after our conversation I have just hacked the whole thing and its collar off. I have now begun work on the replacement sensor suite - it will be nowhere near as blocky and trust me is going to look amazing! Pics of that tonight.

I was also explaining to Warhound that the reason I've not posted any pictures with the main hatch in place is that it's a tight fit and I'm worried that once I drop it in there I might not be able to get it out!

mangozac
Kor

Post#481 » Oct 17 2009 01:12

Pic of the modified sensor suite, as promised:

I'm so very happy with how it has turned out. As usual it's hard to make out the form with all of the different colours but you should be able to get the idea ;)

Not really much more to add to this post so I'll keep it short!

Warhound
Shas

Post#482 » Oct 17 2009 03:59

Told you:-)

cheers
W

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#483 » Oct 17 2009 06:43

I do like that better, which is something I did not think possible. One thought did occur to me however, and that is that this thing will need massive pinning to keep the legs attached. Consider having 1/4" (~1/2 cm) metal or wooden shaft nearby.

mangozac
Kor

Post#484 » Oct 19 2009 04:26

That's a very good point AA - I too have given that a lot of thought. My initial pinning attempts used on the mockup I did a while ago used just 3mm aluminium tube and superglue and both proved way inadequate (I never expected it to hold up much I just wanted quick assembly for some pictures).

At this stage I reckon you would be best to use something like 6-8mm diameter styrene tube (or any rigid material for that matter) and some 5 minute epoxy. Alternatively I'm thinking I could include some 5mm solid resin rods about 20mm long in the complete kit to use for pinning but I imagine most of the people building one would have a pretty good idea of what to do and have their own pinning techniques anyway. In any case I think the 5 minute epoxy will be the key.

Warhound
Shas

Post#485 » Oct 19 2009 04:36

2 x Thick paper clips and a 3 mm drill bit (inserted parallel to each other)- works on Warhounds, will work on this;-)

cheers
W

paulson games
Shas

Post#486 » Oct 19 2009 05:00

Woah, woah, you mean the legs don't self pin due to the power of awesome that the model exudes??

Man... I want a refund ;P

Paper clips work well and they do sell thicker brass rod at most hobby and train stores, I'd probably use the solid brass rod as it can take flexing a bit better over the life of the model than paper clips wlll, but most everyone should have paper clips laying around. Given the weight of the model it may put slight flex on the legs when it's being moved or picked up, over many many times time that may cause the paper clips to snap at the stress point. The brass bends a bit more smoothly and tends not to crack.

I'm wondering if some larger rare earth magnets wouldn't be totally awesome for the walker as with the larger discs they definitely have the pull to keep the legs in palce but could still be posistioned, they even have sphere and half sphere magnets that'd work simular to the ball joints on gundam models.
Paulson Games parts are now at www.reddogminis.com

Return to “Project Logs”