Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Completed)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
wartang
Shas

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (overall pics up 8/10/09

Post#491 » Oct 21 2009 07:42

Oh wow that is nice.
W/D/L/JPDC
6/2/3/2

mangozac
Kor

Post#492 » Oct 22 2009 03:24

Just some quick shots showing the result of last night's puttying. I'm loving how the little discs on the side of the chassis turned out!

mangozac
Kor

Post#493 » Nov 11 2009 10:26

This morning I set it upon myself to sort out the cowling over the front sensor suite. As can be seen from older pics, I did have some pretty extensive puttying done but this morning decided that it just wasn't working. So off it all came!

The first step was to make the new cowling and because of the design of the recesses in the end I decided to do it in styrene. 3x1mm sheets were laminated together with the centre sheet inset slightly. Once that was set it was just a matter of chopping to length, getting the join angles right and then gluing little divisors in the recess. I'm very happy with the result, especially with how geometrically true it all is.

Over the course of the chassis construction the top edge that curves down to the cowling had actually ended up with a bit of a taper. To fix that, once the new cowling was in place I slapped on a heap of putty. Once set it will all be sanded smooth and perfect.

I had planned to take pics but by the time I had realised I had just mixed up putty and the clock was ticking!

You can also see the modified side disc arrangement - there is now only two of them and I think it works much better. I'm still contemplating the panel lines around the discs and have sketched in a small access panel just above them.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#494 » Nov 13 2009 04:14

This definitely looks far more sleek than the last design. It's good to see another great update mangozac!

mangozac
Kor

Post#495 » Nov 17 2009 08:39

OK here's a big update - first stage of priming is done! Here's all of the parts I have made and the quantities used in the final kit (there is still a small amount of work to be done on the pelvis before I prime it fully):

(Warning 1/2 meg image)

It's amazing how many flaws the priming shows up! I'm going to have to go around with some putty and fix lots of little nicks and tool marks. Then a lot of spots are going to need sanding with around 1200 grit paper. I'm thinking I might get some Mr Surfacer 500 for the next priming attempt as it should theoretically fill the flaws better than the 1000 that I'm using.

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre

Post#496 » Nov 17 2009 09:57

No lie zac, it really looks great. That picture may not be as detailed as the actual models, (hence why it does not appear to have many mistakes) but it all looks like real, professional resin casts from Forge World. This project is really coming along my friend!

Orpheus Hangar
Shas

Post#497 » Nov 17 2009 10:51

*Sagely voice* Mango-san, you bring great honor to your fellow Tau. You have learned much, and your training it nearly complete. Make us proud.

On a more serious note: my eyes are actually watering from how beautiful those parts are! :::( Why hasn't Forgeworld or GW hired you yet?! :eek:

Wolfs16
Fio'El

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Nearly Finished!)

Post#498 » Nov 18 2009 01:50

It looks great mango! I don't have anything else to say but, "Awesome!" :biggrin:

Now just get it cast and then painted........I'll wait. :fear:

General
Shas

Post#499 » Nov 18 2009 10:50

Let me say that this is an incredibly inspirational project - not only in regard to the beautiful model that mangozac is constructing, but the thread itself. Feel free to chastise me if I'm merely echoing this sentiment (I could not weed through 25 pages to make sure :biggrin: ), but I feel this thread epitomizes what we all hope is the spirit of Advanced Tau Tactica. It is full of passion, excitement, and intelligent discussion. No slight to mangozac, but reading the thread you almost think this is a group project just from the amount of energy buzzing around this.

All in all, great job mangozac - the level of detail and professional quality really set this log apart from the rest. I'm sure you hope as well as I that you manage to finish this in under a year ;)

EDIT: Oh man, haha I'm still in shock that it will be 2010 it seems - so let's try under two years then! :P

General

mangozac
Kor

Post#500 » Nov 18 2009 03:39

Thanks for the kind words guys.

@General: You are in fact echoing the sentiment, but I agree the most satisfying parts of this project are where it has taken me in the modelling community. I have learned so many things and made great friends with a number of people through it.

@Orpheus and AA: Trust me, the parts look beautiful at this distance but up close they're pretty rough. Looking at it last night it's all going to need another pass of refinement before casting. But its definitely still exciting to look at them all primed the one colour ;)

Return to “Project Logs”