This morning I set it upon myself to sort out the cowling over the front sensor suite. As can be seen from older pics, I did have some pretty extensive puttying done but this morning decided that it just wasn't working. So off it all came!
The first step was to make the new cowling and because of the design of the recesses in the end I decided to do it in styrene. 3x1mm sheets were laminated together with the centre sheet inset slightly. Once that was set it was just a matter of chopping to length, getting the join angles right and then gluing little divisors in the recess. I'm very happy with the result, especially with how geometrically true it all is.
Over the course of the chassis construction the top edge that curves down to the cowling had actually ended up with a bit of a taper. To fix that, once the new cowling was in place I slapped on a heap of putty. Once set it will all be sanded smooth and perfect.
I had planned to take pics but by the time I had realised I had just mixed up putty and the clock was ticking!
You can also see the modified side disc arrangement - there is now only two of them and I think it works much better. I'm still contemplating the panel lines around the discs and have sketched in a small access panel just above them.