Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Completed)

Post long term projects you have devised for your Tau or other hobby projects.
Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Project blog: Tau Superheavy Walker (Nearly Finished!)

Post#501 » Nov 20 2009 12:56

Absolutely brilliant design!!

I love it so much, that I've got to ask you... would you mind terribly if I were to "borrow" the concept of the turret for use on some Tau bunkers I'm currently designing/building? I've got some minor design tweeks in mind, but the basic shape would still be close to yours. I'm planning to build three bunkers, with options for TL Railguns or TL LB Burst Cannons.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

mangozac
Kor

Post#502 » Nov 20 2009 04:29

Thanks mate.

Borrow away. I personally don't think it would look all that good as a static emplacement turret but whatever floats your boat ;)

Shi'ur
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#503 » Nov 20 2009 04:59

As I stated, I've got a few design changes in mind, so my plan is to make it work.

Thanks for the go ahead... after all, it is your design. :P
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

J8
Shas

Post#504 » Nov 21 2009 09:51

mangozac wrote:As usual it's hard to make out the form with all of the different colours

That's so much more true than I was expecting, it looked brilliant before but finally seeing it cleanly I can see how crisp and tau like you have truly made it.
http://aftermath-sector.com -- Worldwide Wh40k Campaign

Tylermenz
Shas

Post#505 » Dec 02 2009 08:47

It really looks awesome Mangozac! I remember this is the first topic that I really went in depth on when I first came here (before it was even stickied) and really got be stuck (haha) on ATT. I cant wait to see what it looks like all put together.

have you thought about rules for it yet. I remember you saying that you didn't really play to much anymore and that this had become more of a modelling exercise. (perhaps a contest is in order?)

Again great job so far, and here is to the last dash!
alienstreesandskulls.blogspot.com

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#506 » Dec 02 2009 09:08

Well Tylermenz, there is always the Apocalypse Blank Datasheet PDF supplied by Games Workshop for you to use in situations just like this. If you wish to play a game with it, make up a set of agreeable rules and see if your opponent would agree that they are fair. Play a few games with a good friend to field test, and tweak those rules until you have something acceptable. Once you have reached that point, play away. That way you have some acceptable rules, and mangozac does not have to be troubled by coming up with default rules.

TheAmbit
Fio'El
Fio'El

Post#507 » Dec 02 2009 09:35

I'm not going to suggest an open rules discussion, however if Mangozac posts his own that is fine. This is an INCREDIBLE project, and I do not wish the completion of it to herald 4 useless pages of custom unit arguments. One thing I would suggest as an oursource however, it that you submit a good photograph with a FW for scale to BoLS to add into one of their mini-dexes.

Tylermenz
Shas

Post#508 » Dec 03 2009 11:25

Theambit wrote:I'm not going to suggest an open rules discussion, however if Mangozac posts his own that is fine. This is an INCREDIBLE project, and I do not wish the completion of it to herald 4 useless pages of custom unit arguments. One thing I would suggest as an oursource however, it that you submit a good photograph with a FW for scale to BoLS to add into one of their mini-dexes.

Agentarrow wrote:Well Tylermenz, there is always the Apocalypse Blank Datasheet PDF supplied by Games Workshop for you to use in situations just like this.

Actually i did make up a datasheet very early in this project log (almost 2 years ago) but wanted to see what Mango wanted, if anything, to do with it. I was trying to stay away from the 4 pages of useless custom unit arguements by giving Mangozac the say, instead of asking everyone elses opinions and ideas. (it is his log anyway)
alienstreesandskulls.blogspot.com

mangozac
Kor

Post#509 » Dec 03 2009 06:55

Nope I've still not come up with any rules for it yet - as Tylermenz mentioned I'm not really interested in rules anymore. That said, I do recognise the fact that pretty much everyone who owns a kit will be interested in some rules for it so I should probably start thinking about that ;)

As I've said from the start its capabilities are intended to be on par with that of a Warhound. In place of the Warhound's extra speed the walker has a networked markerlight turret. The two strength D railguns are in place of one Warhound arm and the mega smart missile system replaces the Warhound's other arm.

If you guys want to discuss rules perhaps you should start a thread for it and go to town? Whilst it would possibly get me in trouble with GW in terms of IP to produce an Apocalypse datasheet, I'd be happy to supply a nice picture for somebody else to use and make a datasheet with ;)

Please don't encourage custom rules threads - TheAmbit

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#510 » Dec 03 2009 08:59

mangozac wrote:If you guys want to discuss rules perhaps you should start a thread for it and go to town? Whilst it would possibly get me in trouble with GW in terms of IP to produce an Apocalypse datasheet, I'd be happy to supply a nice picture for somebody else to use and make a datasheet with ;)

Or I could photochop another one into existence using the proper parts this time.

mangozac
Kor

Post#511 » Dec 04 2009 03:13

Yes, you could, but I've since made some more changes to some parts that wouldn't yet be reflected. Besides, you would need to decide on the rules before actually making the datasheet ;)

mangozac
Kor

Post#512 » Dec 06 2009 05:49

Aaaaaaand we have a new pic. Admittedly less pics than I had planned as I accidentally deleted them and am not motivated enough to take some more now that it's night time. Oh well :roll:

Here we have the I have the primed new joint cover disc. Blame Warhound for me having to design a new one ;)
I used the Mr Surfacer 500 for this and it's left a bit of a rough finish. I'm not sure if this is just because of the coarseness of the 500 or because I didn't thin it enough for the hot weather today. In any case it's no big deal as I have some 1200 grit sandpaper I can smooth it all up with. And like with all other parts the priming revealed some very slight flaws that will need fixing up.

Enjoy!

Agentarrow
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#513 » Dec 06 2009 11:31

That's one really nice joint cover. Much better than the last one. Keep it up!

XV-02
Fio

Post#514 » Dec 08 2009 02:52

(Wow, its been a while since I looked in on this thread!)
Mangozac, As it was last time I checked: Your walked is a master-piece of devious and perverse model perfection. Your a heck on an ingenious and thorough artist.
I can't await the finished piece! My only reservation is that it may cause me to drown in my own ecstasy induce drooling, as the product so far leaves me agape at the unmitigated awesomeness.

I eagerly await your next picture upload. Keep on keeping on!

mangozac
Kor

Post#515 » Dec 08 2009 04:00

Thanks guys, the gushing is always enjoyed ;)

I'm still playing around perfecting my casting techniques but am almost there. I need to be - I just ordered $500 worth of silicone and resin! I'm hoping to have the first kits available early in the new year. Yeah, I know I keep pushing the date back, but real life keeps getting in the way!

tyranny12
Shas

Post#516 » Dec 12 2009 12:40

mangozac wrote:Thanks guys, the gushing is always enjoyed ;)

I'm still playing around perfecting my casting techniques but am almost there. I need to be - I just ordered $500 worth of silicone and resin! I'm hoping to have the first kits available early in the new year. Yeah, I know I keep pushing the date back, but real life keeps getting in the way!

Man oh man... that joint cover alone is superb.

mangozac
Kor

Post#517 » Dec 25 2009 09:31

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

It's boxing day here in Oz (the day after Christmas - I don't know if any other countries have that?) so I'm doing some serious hobby work. I just scribed up the panel lines and did some priming, but more excitingly I tried out my latest batch of moulds.

Completed moulds I now have include:
- Foot
- Ankle pistons
- Upper leg
- Joint cover disc
- Railgun rotator.

This afternoon I'm planning to completely finish the lower leg so that I can start on its mould tomorrow. It will take 3 days to make as it's going to be a 3 part mould.

In the meantime, here's a shot of the current cast parts (bar the joint cover disc). These moulds still have a couple of tiny flaws, but they're mainly in spots that don't matter so it's no big deal.

mangozac
Kor

Post#518 » Jan 03 2010 12:29

Steadily progressing through the moulds! I've just poured the second half of the new weapons sprue mould and the first half of the rear chassis mould. All that's left is the front chassis and pelvis!

Here's a leg completely assembled. Ignore the different resin colours - in the final kit all parts will be the same grey as the lower leg.

All moulds have turned out pretty perfectly, except for the lower leg mould. It's got a couple of voids in the silicone which cause some warped areas on the cast (due to pressure casting). I'm going to try a modified casting technique to see if I can't let it set without pressure but ultimately I will run this mould as it's $30 in silicone (and not taking into account the time required to make a 3-part mould).

Final details regarding the kit to be announced on the Resin Addict blog very shortly.

Return to “Project Logs”